Connect with us

Latest News

G7 summit: Boris Johnson urges G7 not to ‘repeat the mistake’ of 2008 financial crash during COVID recovery | Politics News

Published

on

Boris Johnson has urged world leaders not to “repeat the mistake” of the 2008 financial crisis as they met for talks on how to recover from the coronavirus pandemic.

In one of the most high-profile moments of his premiership so far, the prime minister has welcomed G7 leaders to Cornwall for a seaside summit.

Follow live updates from the G7 summit in Cornwall

Pic: AP
Image:
The PM was joined by other leaders for the traditional ‘family photo’ on Carbis Bay beach

Mr Johnson has been joined at Carbis Bay by US President Joe Biden, Canada’s Justin Trudeau, Japan‘s Yoshihide Suga, Germany’s Angela Merkel, France’s Emmanuel Macron, Italy‘s Mario Draghi, and EU presidents Ursula von der Leyen and Charles Michel.

It is the first in-person G7 summit for nearly two years and the prime minister told his fellow leaders it was “genuinely wonderful” to see them all in person after the “most wretched pandemic our countries have faced for our lifetimes, maybe longer”.

Ahead of three days of talks, Mr Johnson urged the G7 to “learn the lessons” from the COVID crisis after the “doubtelss” errors that had been made, and to “make sure we now allow our economies to recover”.

“I think they have the potential to bounce back very strongly and there’s all sorts of reasons for being optimistic,” he added.

“But it is vital we don’t repeat the mistake of the last great crisis, the last great economic recession in 2008, when the recovery was not uniform across all parts of society.

“I think what’s gone wrong with this pandemic, or what risks being a lasting scar is, I think, that the inequalities may be entrenched.

“We need to make sure that as we recover, we level up across our societies and we build back better.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

What is the G7?

As he sat down with his fellow leaders, Mr Johnson said the G7 was “united in our vision for a cleaner, greener world”.

And he called for the world’s leading democracies to focus on “building back greener and building back fairer and building back more equal – in a more gender neutral and, perhaps, a more feminine way”.

This weekend’s summit will see world leaders enjoy some downtime during their stay in Cornwall – including a beach BBQ and toasted marshmallows over fire pits – but Mr Johnson has made securing agreements on COVID vaccines, future pandemic preparedness, the environment and girls’ education his ambition for the talks.

The prime minister will also be keen to sidestep any fresh turmoil over lingering Brexit disputes.

Mr Johnson wants this weekend to see G7 nations commit to providing one billion doses of COVID vaccines to developing countries as part of a bid to vaccinate the entire world by the end of next year.

The UK has committed to providing at least 100 million doses, while Mr Biden has said the US will purchase 500 million doses of the Pfizer jab to donate to poorer countries.

The prime minister also has ambitions for a new global pandemic surveillance network, as well as an effort to accelerate the development of vaccines, treatments and tests for any new virus from 300 to 100 days.

Australia’s Scott Morrison, South Africa’s Cyril Ramaphosa and South Korea‘s Moon Jae-in will join the G7 talks as summit guests on Saturday, while India’s Narendra Modi will join discussions via video link.

Mr Johnson also wants the weekend to see G7 leaders commit to tackling the “moral outrage” of millions of girls around the world being denied an education.

Members of the media take pictures of climate change activists wearing masks representing world leaders during a protest in St. Ives, on the sidelines of G7 summit in Cornwall, Britain, June 11, 2021. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez
Image:
Climate change activists wear masks representing world leaders during a protest in St. Ives, on the sidelines of the G7 summit

Listen and subscribe to The Ian King Business podcast here

One subject on which Mr Johnson will be hoping to avoid headlines during the G7 summit is the continuing row over post-Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland.

The prime minister is set to hold talks with the EU‘s Ms von der Leyen and Mr Michel on the sidelines of the summit, with the UK and the bloc remaining at a stand-off over the implementation of the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Ahead of the official start of the G7 summit, French President Emmanuel Macron pointedly shared an image of himself, Mrs Merkel, Mr Draghi and the two EU presidents sat at a table together.

“As always, the same union, the same determination to act, the same enthusiasm! The G7 can begin,” Mr Macron posted on Twitter.

On Thursday, Mr Johnson said he and Mr Biden were in “complete harmony” over Northern Ireland, despite earlier reports the US had lodged a formal diplomatic protest with the UK over the dispute.

Ahead of the UK hosting the COP26 climate change summit later this year, environmental issues will also be a large part of discussions over the weekend.

Prince Charles is hosting a reception on Friday for the G7 leaders and CEOs of some of the world’s largest companies to discuss how the private sector can work with governments to tackle the climate emergency.

And Sunday’s final talks will see leaders addressed via a pre-recorded video from Sir David Attenborough.

The prime minister wants G7 nations to promise to halve their carbon emissions by 2030, in order to limit the rise in global temperatures to 1.5 degrees.

Source link

Latest News

EE brings back EU roaming charges for mobile phone customers from next year | Business News

Published

on

Mobile network EE is to charge customers for using their phone in Europe from next year.

The company, owned by BT, had previously said it had no plans to reintroduce the charges after Brexit.

It will affect new customers and those upgrading from 7 July.

An EE phone store on Oxford Street, central London. 29/5/2018
Image:
EE said it change would support investment in its UK network

They will face a £2 daily fee from January next year to be able to use their data, call minutes and text allowances in 47 European destinations.

The change will not apply to customers travelling to the Republic of Ireland.

British travellers have not had to pay roaming charges on their mobile phone bills since June 2017, when they were abolished after changes to European regulation.

Before then they added an estimated £350m a year to users’ bills.

Britain’s departure from the European Union meant that from January UK customers no longer had the right to use their phone in Europe without roaming charges.

However, Britain’s major mobile operators had said they had no plans to introduce them.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

December 2020: What’s in the Brexit trade deal?

EE said its decision was designed to “support investment into our UK-based customer service and leading UK network”.

It said customers travelling abroad for longer will be able to use a 30-day Roam Abroad Pass.

Ernest Doku, a mobiles expert at Uswitch.com, said: “It’s hugely disappointing for consumers to see that situation change so quickly.

“If you’re an existing EE customer, these charges won’t affect you yet, but make sure you check the small print if you’re due an upgrade in the coming months.”

Sky News contacted other networks to ask if they had any similar plans.

O2 and Three said they had not made any changes to roaming.

However, both are altering their policies on “fair usage” daily data limits while in the EU – though in each case said the limits were more than enough for the vast majority of holidaymakers’ needs.

Vodafone also said it had no plans to bring back roaming charges.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

HMS Defender: Boris Johnson insists warship was sailing legally as Moscow warns ‘no options can be ruled out’ | UK News

Published

on

Boris Johnson has insisted Royal Navy warship HMS Defender was sailing legally in Ukrainian waters and that Russia did not any fire warning shots.

Russia has accused the UK of “barefaced lies” over Wednesday’s incident and said it would respond robustly to any future incursions into what it says are Russian waters.

It summoned the British ambassador in Moscow for a dressing down, while a Kremlin spokesman called it a “deliberate and premeditated provocation”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Russia claims this is HMS Defender ‘chased out’

“In the event of a repeat of unacceptable provocative action – if those actions go too far, no options can be ruled out in terms of legally defending Russia’s borders,” added Dmitry Peskov.

The UK rejects Russia’s claim that a border patrol boat fired warning shots and that warplanes dropped bombs into path of the ship off the Crimean coast.

Speaking on Thursday, Boris Johnson said it was “not my information” when asked if the Russians had fired warning shots.

“My understanding is that the Carrier Strike Group proceeded in a way you would expect through international waters and in accordance with the law,” said the prime minister.

He added: “We don’t recognise the Russian annexation of Crimea – it was illegal. These are Ukrainian waters and it was entirely right to use them to get from A to B.”

HMS Defender
Image:
HMS Defender’s main wartime function is to destroy enemy planes and drones

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has also said shots were not fired and called the Russian account “predictably inaccurate”.

The Ministry of Defence said it had been made aware in advance that the Russians were conducting “gunnery exercises” in the area.

“No shots were directed at HMS Defender and we do not recognise the claim that bombs were dropped in her path,” it said.

Sukhoi Su-24M bombers pictured over Moscow in May 2019
Image:
Russia said Su-24M jets – pictured in May 2019 – dropped bombs in the ship’s path

However, a BBC journalist on board the 152 metre-long ship said Russian planes had flown nearby and he also heard radio warnings that shots would be fired if HMS Defender didn’t change course .

He said firing was later heard but “well out of range”.

Foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova accused Britain of “barefaced lies” over the incident.

Russia claims the British ship had gone as far as three kilometres (2 miles) into Russian waters near Cape Fiolent, near the port of Sevastopol in Crimea.

Crimea was seized from Ukraine in 2014 by the Russians, who claim ownership of waters around its coast.

A map showing the route of HMS Defender
Image:
The route of HMS Defender

Western countries regard Crimea to have been taken illegally.

Mr Johnson also rejected the assertion that the relationship with Russia was now at a new low, following other recent incidents such as the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal in the UK in 2018.

“I can remember times in my own lifetime when things have been far worse,” the prime minister said.

Sky’s Moscow correspondent Diana Magnay said the incident was to a large extent about “testing each other’s mettle” and seeing “how far Russia is prepared to go to defend what it claims are its territorial waters – and how far the UK and NATO are prepared to go to defend Ukrainian sovereignty”.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

‘Several injured and one dead’ after building partially collapses in Miami Beach | World News

Published

on

A huge emergency operation is under way after a partial building collapse in Miami Beach, with reports of at least one person killed and several injured.

More than 80 fire and rescue units were at the scene of the collapse in the Florida city, with images showing a pile of rubble with debris spilling down from what was left of the balconies of the building.

CBS reported that at least one person had died, while ABC News said eight people were being treated for injuries in hospital.

Sergeant Marian Cruz of the Surfside Police Department said: “We’re on the scene so it’s still very active.

“What I can tell you is the building is 12 floors. The entire back side of the building has collapsed.”

Police have cordoned off nearby roads, with scores of fire and rescue vehicles, ambulances and police cars deployed in the area.

NBC said the rescue teams included a unit that is trained in the removal of victims trapped in complex or confined spaces.

NBC Miami showed a video of a young boy being pulled alive from the rubble.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending