Thousands of people have gathered across Brazil to protest at President Bolsonaro’s management of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Despite the second-highest death toll behind the US, the far-right leader has played down the virus’ severity, dismissed mask-wearing and cast doubt on the importance of vaccinations.
This weekend’s protests were organised by left-leaning political parties, unions and students’ associations.
Most people wore masks and tried to observe social distancing as they called for a faster vaccination programme.
Brazil’s population is 211 million but according to official figures only 66.4 million doses of a vaccine have been administered, with about 10% – or 21.9 million people – fully vaccinated.
In Sao Paulo, Brazil’s largest city, thousands of people blocked one of the largest avenues in the city.
Protests in Brasilia and Rio were peaceful but police in the northeastern city of Recife used tear gas and rubber bullets on demonstrators.
Some people also carried images of former leftist President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva wearing the presidential sash.
Earlier in May, the former leader met centrist Fernando Henrique Cardoso, also a two-term former president, for lunch in a public show of their common purpose to block Mr Bolsonaro from gaining a second term in next year’s election.
Meanwhile, Brazil reported another 2,012 deaths on Saturday, its health ministry said.
Cases also remain high, with 79,670 new infections – taking the total since the start of the pandemic to 16.47 million.
COVID-19: South Africa’s healthcare workers struggle under pressure of third wave | World News
Dr Angelique Coetzee is a GP in the South African capital Pretoria, where she has run a family clinic for the past 33 years.
But she has never known anything like COVID-19.
She said: “If you have never been in such a situation, you can’t imagine what it is like. We’ve been dealing with 30 or 40 positive cases every day. The pressure is extreme.
“If you look at a country like Australia where they have a few cases, well I would see their national caseload in a couple of days. Can you imagine?”
When we first spoke in June, Dr Coetzee seemed on the verge of tears.
She said: “If I speak to you now, that means someone with COVID will not been seen – and there is no point trying to message. I don’t have time to answer.”
South Africa has found itself in the grips of a Delta variant-driven “third wave” of infection.
The caseload has been brutal, outstripping the first two waves by a factor of three.
The country’s acting health minister says this surge has now peaked in the province of Gauteng, where the cities of Pretoria and Johannesburg are situated but Dr Coetzee says her personal and professional burden has barely changed.
She said: “We have been seeing fewer patients on a daily basis this week but the weather is colder and COVID-19 patients are turning up with pneumonia so we are seeing sicker patients than we have been during the last three or four weeks.”
South Africa’s beleaguered public-run health system has struggled to cope with wave after wave of the virus.
Lacking sufficient beds and qualified staff, city hospitals used casualty departments as holding centres where patients wait for space to free up – sometimes for days.
“This is the third wave we have experienced, comes less than six months (after the second) and the infrastructure can’t cope,” said Dr Coetzee.
“Most patients need oxygen and I try to admit them to hospital but because of (capacity) problems I have had to treat them at home. We have been waiting for 24 to 48 hours before we could get them cylinders, dealing with the stress of trying to manage patients without oxygen with the knowledge that if we don’t make a plan they are going to die. All this while the surgery is full, full, full. It is so very stressful.”
The extreme working patterns and the mental pressures that come with it have been felt in unexpected ways.
“I have had colleagues who have had motor vehicle accidents. One was so tired after work that he drove his car into a tree,” she said.
“The second one was hit at a crossroads – and a lady doctor reversed into a garage door because she had forgotten to open it. The most bizarre things that happen in a short space of time but it shows you the pressure they are under.”
Dr Coetzee has been operating on the very edge within a healthcare system that was been put under severe strain.
There are no support workers or home visits or specialist consultations for most people in South Africa.
Instead, GP’s like Dr Coetzee try to do it all.
“You become distant after a while but you try to carry on and on. I think that is the only way to survive it,” she said.
Yanga Booi is a 32-year-old nurse working at the intensive care unit at Thelle Mogoerane Regional Hospital in Vosloorus, on the outskirts of Johannesburg.
He says the hospital is poorly equipped and the staff have been insufficiently prepared during the pandemic.
He said: “The health system in South Africa did a complete spin when the pandemic hit our shores. We were put in the spotlight and given this false sense of heroism, but it wasn’t the right sort of attention because when we went to work, the hospital was in a worse state that than it was before.
“We were ill-prepared from the beginning, and we are still not prepared.”
The hospital in Vosloorus provides beds and treatment but Booi says COVID testing at the facility is not reliable and patients are not properly isolated.
“We cannot be sure who has COVID because we get so many false negatives. It’s like we wait for people to get sick or drop dead, then look into the COVID thing,” he said.
“I remember admitting a patient who was negative on admission and so we didn’t isolate him. A few days later he died and we found out that he was positive.
“It’s a sad situation because the hospital does not have an isolated ICU ward for COVID patients. It’s a general ICU with isolation rooms and we admit COVID patients to it – some people have it and others don’t. We cannot be sure.”
Mr Booi says dozens of his colleagues have paid a terrible price over the course of three separate waves of infection in South Africa.
He said: “It is unfortunate that we have had to watch our colleagues dying from this… countless members of staff have gone, it’s not just nurses, it’s the doctors, it’s the clerks, it’s the porters.”
The 32-year old, who took up the profession when he was offered a government bursary, says he was “deeply afraid” when the pandemic arrived.
Yet 17 months later he has noticed a change in himself and others.
He said: “The loss of life has caused us to grow a thick skin, just like when we came into the profession. Our first experiences with death were terrifying but then we got accustomed to people dying and that is what has happened with COVID.
“We are used to the virus we know it is here to stay and we must find ways to keep going.”
Dr Shabir Mahdi is dean of the faculty of health sciences at Witwatersrand University in Johannesburg and is a source of expertise and fearless criticism in a country that has struggled in all aspects of its pandemic response.
Dr Mahdi says the ferocity of South Africa’s third wave of infection came as a “huge surprise”.
He said: “The current resurgence far exceeds what we have experienced either in the first or second wave in the number of documented cases. In fact, the numbers of new cases diagnosed on a daily basis is three times what it was at the time of the peak of the first and second wave.”
However, this eminent viriologist is unsparing in his criticism of the government’s response.
While the magnitude of the Delta-fuelled third instalment could not have been predicted, he says health officials knew another wave was coming at the beginning of South Africa’s winter season.
He said: “In a province like Gauteng where 25% of the population live, our hospitals are completely overwhelmed but at the same time, we have beds that are literally vacant in the same hospitals and we can’t actually use those beds because some official in some government department forgot that you actually need to have health care workers available to actually staff those beds.”
Newport Wafer Fab: Former cyber security chief raises alarm over sale of Welsh microchip manufacturer to Chinese-backed Nexperia | Politics News
The UK’s former cyber security chief has raised the alarm over the sale of a Welsh microchip manufacturer to a Chinese-backed company.
Ciaran Martin, the former chief executive of the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), said the purchase of Newport Wafer Fab by Nexperia, a Dutch subsidiary of the Chinese company Wingtech, poses a greater threat to British interests than Huawei’s involvement in the 5G network.
Boris Johnson has asked national security adviser Sir Stephen Lovegrove to look at the deal, worth a reported £63m, while MPs have called on ministers to intervene.
But, Charles Smit, a board member and general counsel at Nexperia, told the BBC earlier this week: “We’re not owned by the Chinese state, the Chinese state is not involved in Wingtech.”
Sky News has contacted Nexperia for comment.
Mr Martin, who was chief executive of the NCSC until last August, described the future of microchip supply as a “first order strategic issue” for the government to get a handle on.
He was part of the NCSC when it altered its security assessment of equipment manufactured by Huawei, with the firm eventually excluded from the UK’s rollout of 5G on security grounds.
“Huawei in the periphery of 5G only really mattered because the Trump administration became obsessed with it for reasons they never convincingly set out,” Mr Martin told The Daily Telegraph.
“By contrast the future of semiconductor supply is a first order strategic issue. It goes to the heart of how we should be dealing with China.”
His comments come after the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee called for tougher action to stop strategically important companies being sold overseas.
The cross-party group of MPs said the UK’s “sovereignty should not be for sale” and called for the takeover of Newport Wafer Fab to be formally called in for review.
“Appropriate mitigation measures” should be introduced by ministers, they also said.
“Our fiercest competitors, notably China, have a track record of using foreign investments to gain access to important technologies and information,” committee chairman and Conservative MP Tom Tugendhat said when the report was released.
“We’ve witnessed too many of our country’s brilliant tech firms disappear abroad with potentially significant economic and foreign policy implications.”
Tokyo 2020: Team GB’s Bradly Sinden takes silver after losing in the men’s 68kg taekwondo final | World News
Bradly Sinden has taken silver in Tokyo after losing to Uzebekistan’s Ulugbek Rashitov in the men’s 68kg taekwondo final.
Rashitov beat Sinden 34-29 at the Makuhari Messe Hall on Sunday, narrowly missing out on Team GB’s first gold of the Games.
Sinden, the reigning world champion, from Doncaster, was guaranteed a silver medal after beating China‘s Zhao Shuai in the semi-finals earlier in the day.
But despite his 19-year-old opponent being seeded 17th in the world, he was overtaken in the final few seconds of the match.
Appearing tearful afterwards, the 22-year-old spoke of his “disappointment”.
“It was my gold medal to give away,” he said. “I made a few mistakes, but that’s taekwondo.”
The silver win follows huge disappointment for British taekwondo earlier in the day when double Olympic champion Jade Jones lost in the first round.
Jones, 28, was vying to become the first ever British woman to secure three golds at three consecutive games.
But she was denied even a bronze in the repechage when the Refugee Team’s Kimia Alizadeh – who beat her – lost out in the semi-finals.
Team GB came second only to the USA in the medals table at Rio 2016 and is hoping for a repeat performance this year.
Ann Widdecombe mocks Macron and VDL as EU bully tactics 'turned Remainers into Brexiteers'
'Take the nuclear option!' Boris urged to tear up Brexit deal as EU tensions rise
COVID-19: South Africa’s healthcare workers struggle under pressure of third wave | World News
Cummings defends Brexit, claims Turkey IS joining EU and Remain used invented figures
Brexit LIVE: Keir Starmer urged to back Labour campaign for UK to rejoin EU
Wash sale rules don’t apply to bitcoin, ethereum, dogecoin
Britain's poorest families facing 'tidal wave' of debt due to lockdowns
Shanghai lab’s fake pork dumplings help China go beyond meat
‘Are we paying for the French navy’s fuel?’ Nigel Farage wades into migrant crisis claims
Euro, EU army and budget controlled by Brussels! Independent Scotland under Sturgeon
Latest News7 days ago
Tokyo 2020: Athlete debunks rumours of ‘anti-sex’ cardboard beds in Olympic Village by carrying out bounce test | World News
World1 week ago
Treasury Secretary Yellen to discuss stablecoins with regulators next week
World4 days ago
John Kerry calls on China to step up on emissions cuts
World1 week ago
Doctor agrees with Biden that Facebook is ‘killing people’ with Covid misinformation
Politics6 days ago
Justice Dept. limits federal government’s ability to obtain journalists’ communications secretly
Latest News1 week ago
Germany and Belgium floods: Fears death toll will rise as officials warn dam could burst | World News
World1 week ago
Biden, Merkel agree Russia cannot use Nord Stream pipeline as weapon
World5 days ago
Indonesia to balance economy with pandemic support: Finance minister