Connect with us

Latest News

Number 10 rejects Juventus chair’s claim Boris Johnson saw European Super League as ‘attack to Brexit’ | Politics News

Published

on

The chairman of Italian football giants Juventus – one of the clubs who attempted a breakaway European Super League – has suggested Boris Johnson was so opposed to the plan because it was viewed as “an attack to Brexit”.

Andrea Agnelli, one of the chief architects of the closed-shop competition for elite clubs, on Wednesday admitted the idea of a European Super League could no longer proceed.

It follows the decision by six English clubs – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur – to withdraw from the plan.

Spanish side Atletico Madrid and Italian rivals AC Milan and Inter Milan have also abandoned the scheme.

Andrea Agnelli has said that it the Super League can no longer go ahead without the involvement of the English clubs
Image:
Juventus chair Andrea Agnelli was one of the chief architects of the scheme

The project turned into a humiliating spectacle for the clubs involved, with their plans collapsing within 48 hours of them first being announced amid a furious backlash from fans and politicians across Europe.

Mr Johnson had vowed to explore “every possibility” to stop the “very damaging” European Super League, as he mulled what new or existing laws could be used to put a halt to the plans.

And Mr Agnelli suggested the UK government’s intervention had pushed the six English clubs to withdraw.

“I have had speculation to that extent that if six teams would have broken away and would have threatened the EPL (Premier League), politics would have seen that as an attack to Brexit and their political scheme,” he told Reuters.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Super League ‘not up and running’, says founder

However, Mr Agnelli added he remained “convinced of the beauty of that project”, despite the likelihood it would no longer proceed.

Asked about the Juventus chairman’s comments, Downing Street dismissed the suggestion that Mr Johnson’s opposition to the European Super League was linked to Brexit.

The prime minister’s official spokesman said: “I would reject that.

“The prime minister was very clear on why it was right for the government to step in and take action that contributed to these clubs stepping back from this proposal, which was the importance of football at the heart of communities up and down the country.”

Speaking in the House of Commons earlier on Wednesday, Mr Johnson had told MPs that “one of the most worrying features about the European Super League proposals is that they would have taken clubs that take their names from great, famous British towns and cities, English towns and cities”.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson leaves 10 Downing Street to attend Prime Minister's Questions
Image:
The PM branded the proposal ‘very damaging’

He added the new competition would have turned English clubs “just into global brands with no relation to the fans, to the communities that gave them life and that give them the most love and support”.

He promised that a “root and branch investigation into the governance of football” – to be conducted by former sports minister Tracey Crouch – would look at “what we can do to promote the role of fans in that governance”.

Conservative MP Saqib Bhatti has asked Mr Johnson to ensure that “football clubs must put fans at the heart of their decision-making”.

Source link

Latest News

Dominic Ongwen: Ugandan former child soldier turned rebel commander jailed for 25 years for war crimes | World News

Published

on

A former Ugandan child soldier who became a rebel commander has been sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, the Netherlands, said Dominic Ongwen’s own abduction as a schoolboy and tortured past prevented him from being handed a life sentence.

Ongwen, who was taken into ICC custody in 2015, was convicted in February of 61 crimes including rape, sexual enslavement, child abductions, torture and murder.

Dominic Ongwen
Image:
Dominic Ongwen in court in February, when he was convicted

He was abducted by the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) when he was nine and forced into a life of violence.

Led by fugitive warlord Joseph Kony, the LRA terrorised Ugandans for around 20 years as the group battled the government of President Yoweri Museveni from bases in northern Uganda and neighbouring countries.

It has now largely been wiped out.

Ongwen knowingly committed a range of heinous crimes as an adult, many of them against defenceless children and women who had been forced into slavery.

Judge Bertram Schmitt told the court on Thursday: “The chamber is confronted in the present case with a unique situation.”

He said Ongwen was “a perpetrator who wilfully brought tremendous suffering upon his victims, however, also a perpetrator who himself has previously endured extreme suffering at the hands of the group of which he later became a prominent member and leader”.

Yoweri Museveni has been in power since 1986. File pic
Image:
President Yoweri Museveni has been in power since 1986

Ongwen, 46, wearing a face mask and headphones, showed no emotion as he was given a jail sentence five years longer than the 20 years prosecutors had requested.

His lawyers argued he should get no more than a 10-year sentence because of his childhood history.

They have said they will appeal the conviction.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Liechtenstein prince accused of killing Romania’s largest bear | World News

Published

on

A prince in Liechtenstein has been blamed for shooting one of Europe’s largest bears during a hunting expedition in Romania.

Environmental campaign group Agent Green suspect that Prince Emanuel von und Zu had a permit to shoot a female bear that had caused damage to farms.

But instead, he apparently shot Arthur, a 17-year-old brown bear, who lived in a protected area and is believed to be Romania’s largest bear.

“But in reality, the prince did not kill the problem bear, but a male that lived deep in the woods,” Agent Green claim.

Documents shared by Agent Green confirmed that Prince Emanuel, who lives in Austria, was granted a four-day hunting permit in March in Covasna County in Romania.

Gabriel Paun, the president of Agent Green, said: “I wonder how the prince could confuse a female with a chicken coming to the village with the largest male that existed in the depths of the forest.

“It is clear that the prince did not come to solve the problem of the locals but to kill the bear and take home the biggest trophy to hang it on the wall.

“We are dealing with a game of poaching since they shot the wrong bear.”

Brown bears are protected animals under international law and in 2016 Romania outlawed trophy hunting.

However, exceptions have been granted by Romania’s environment minister in extreme cases when a bear has caused damage or threatened people.

The mayor of Ojdula confirmed to Agent Green that locals had reported bear attacks, but all the attacks were executed by a female bear.

“Every farmer I spoke to said that nothing had changed since the male bear was shot and that the female continued to come to the household daily,” Mr Paun said.

Ann-Kathrin Freude, the campaign co-ordinator at animal welfare charity, VGT, added: “It is a shame for Austria that Prince Emanuel abused a derogation to kill this beautiful bear.”

A senior official from Romania’s environmental ministry, Octavian Berceanu, told the Associated Press that an investigation into the case was launched on 29 April and that poaching is one of the suspicions in the case.

A spokesperson for the Princely House in Liechtenstein told Sky News that it is unable to comment on the matter as it’s personal to the prince.

“The Princely House would like to point out that respect for nature has been one of the fundamental concerns of the house and is a central element of the family’s commitment to ecological and social sustainability,” the spokesperson added.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

French military ship heads to Jersey to join post-Brexit fishing protest as Royal Navy patrols waters | UK News

Published

on

A fleet of French fishing boats has descended on Jersey after threatening to blockade the island’s main port over a post-Brexit fishing rights row.

The UK has sent two Royal Navy ships to Jersey “as a precaution” – HMS Severn and HMS Tamar are patrolling the waters around Jersey this morning.

And French authorities have confirmed to Sky News that a vessel, the Military Ops ship Athos, will be arriving “imminently” to carry out a “patrol mission” – while local reports suggest another is also en route.

The deployment, France says, is to “guarantee the safety” of people at sea and “accompany” the flotilla of around 50 French fishing vessels currently protesting off St Helier over a lack of access to waters around the Channel island.

An official from the French presidency said they were keen that the situation does not worsen.

France views the situation in Jersey as being calm, they said, but added that the UK’s language on the matter had aggravated tensions.

The European Commission, meanwhile, has said it is “engaging in good faith” with the UK as to how to solve the fishing dispute.

The map below, taken from marinetraffic.com just before 7am on Thursday, showed the French boats (in orange) heading towards the harbour then later massing near Elizabeth Castle, while the UK ships (light blue) appeared to be holding back.

HMS Servern (far left, light blue) and HMS Tamar (bottom left, light blue) can be seen on the outskirts of Jersey on Thursday morning. Pic: marinetraffic.com
Image:
HMS Severn (far left, light blue) and HMS Tamar (bottom left, light blue) can be seen on the outskirts of Jersey on Thursday morning. Pic: marinetraffic.com

French fishing boats were due to enter the harbour to prevent the Commodore Clipper, carrying cargo, from docking in Jersey, according to local paper the Bailiwick Express.

French officials also said they will be closing their Channel Islands’ offices and will stop importing Jersey products into France.

The Commodore Goodwill freight ship was initially “trapped” and unable to leave the harbour this morning, but was later allowed to pass, according to the Jersey Evening Post.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Flares lit as fishing standoff continues

Although crews on the French vessels were seen setting off flares, the protest has so far remained peaceful.

However, footage showed one instance of a UK boat being rammed by a French vessel.

The Jersey Evening Post said several local residents had turned up to watch and police were at the scene.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

French boat rams British vessel

Jersey fisherman Josh Dearing described the scene at the port of St Helier as “like an invasion”.

The 28-year-old told the PA news agency: “There were probably about 60 boats. There were a few hand-held flares and smoke flares going off and apparently a few maybe bangers and stuff going off from the French.”

He said the French fleet – which started gathering from around 4.30am – was mostly made up of “big French dredgers and trawlers” of about 12 metres or more.

Jersey fishing row: Pic: Michael Bewley
Image:
Two Royal Navy ships have been sent to protect Jersey from a blockade by French fishing vessels. Pic: Michael Bewley
French vessels protest off Jersey. Pic: @PinelPhotos
Image:
French vessels have gathered to protest over post-Brexit fishing rights off Jersey. Pic: @PinelPhotos

Paris earlier threatened to cut off power to the island – which receives 95% of its electricity from France through three undersea cables – accusing Jersey of dragging its feet over issuing new licences to French boats.

French fishermen said they would blockade the main port of St Helier to prevent supplies from being delivered.

Jersey’s external affairs minister, Ian Gorst, said the French had made clear their frustration over the new Brexit trade deal. He said “tensions are running high” and the “precautionary” action by the Royal Navy “has so far worked”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Disproportionate threats’ from Paris

He told Sky News: “We have had disproportionate threats emanating from Paris and a potential blockade of our main harbour – and those threats we take seriously to protect Jersey’s interests.

“We want to give French fisherman who can prove they have fished in our waters historically, the rights they had previously – but evidence has to be provided.

“Now there is a little bit of a bureaucratic process because that evidence has to go from Normandy to Paris, to the EU and London and then to Jersey, and it has become apparent since we issued the first licences on Friday that not all of that evidence has been presented, and therefore talking and helping fishermen to be able to provide that evidence means we will be able to adjust their licences, and that is the way through the problems that we are currently experiencing.”

He said Jersey fishermen had “found it bureaucratic to land their fish” in French waters.

Mr Gorst added Jersey government representatives were due to meet with French fishing leaders this morning on boats alongside each other in the harbour “to resolve the current dispute and resume previous good relations”.

Jersey fishing row: Pic: Michael Bewley
Image:
The scene on Thursday morning following the arrival of a number of French boats. Pics: Michael Bewley
Jersey fishing row: Pic: Michael Bewley

Jimmy Hersent, of the Monaco du Nord 2, told Sky News: “We went to Jersey to tell them that we want to work as we were before.

“A boat like mine is no longer allowed to trawl and I only have the right to come for 34 days in the year.

“[If this continues], what will happen is that the amount of fishing boats in the Bay of Granville will be too large and we will be on top of each other, and the resource there will be impacted.”

Downing Street confirmed Boris Johnson spoke to the chief minister of Jersey, Senator John Le Fondre, on Wednesday evening “about the prospect of a blockade of Saint Helier” – the island’s main town.

“The prime minister and chief minister stressed the urgent need for a de-escalation in tensions and for dialogue between Jersey and France on fishing access,” a spokesman said.

“The prime minister underlined his unwavering support for Jersey. He said that any blockade would be completely unjustified. As a precautionary measure the UK will be sending two offshore patrol vessels to monitor the situation.

“They agreed the UK and Jersey governments would continue to work closely on this issue.”

Four Royal Navy boats are on standby
Image:
HMS Severn (in pic) and HMS Tamar have been sent to Jersey
HMS Tamar is a new Royal Navy patrol ship. Pic: MoD
Image:
HMS Tamar is a new Royal Navy patrol ship. Pic: MoD

In a statement, Mr Le Fondre and Mr Gorst said they expected a “peaceful demonstration by the French fishermen outside St Helier Harbour”.

Speaking on Wednesday night, they said: “The responsible ministers and government officials have met this evening to ensure that the very best plans are in place to ensure Islanders’ interests are properly protected at all times. We remain confident in our ability to do this.

“We welcome the ongoing support from the prime minister and UK government to achieve a diplomatic solution to this dispute, and we are aware that the UK are sending two offshore patrol vessels as a precautionary measure to monitor the situation in Jersey waters.”

A Ministry of Defence spokesman confirmed HMS Severn, described as being able to mount fishing vessels for inspection, and HMS Tamar, one of the Navy’s newest warships, were being deployed to Jersey “to conduct maritime security patrols”.

“This is a strictly precautionary measure and has been agreed with the Jersey government,” he added.

France accused the UK of using red tape to limit fishing around Jersey, in breach of the Brexit agreement made with the EU last year, and said it is “ready to use these retaliation measures”.

“With regards to Jersey, I would remind you, for example, of electricity transmission by underwater cable. So, we have the means,” French maritime minister Annick Girardin said.

The UK’s environment and food secretary George Eustice said the row was about 17 French fishing vessels that have failed to provide the data needed for Jersey to grant them a licence to fish in its waters.

Ms Girardin said the authorisation of 41 boats to fish in Jersey waters had been accompanied by new demands “which were not arranged or discussed, and which we were not notified about”.

The demands set out where ships could and could not go, how long fishermen can spend at sea, and what machinery they can use, she added.

French fishermen have threatened to blockade the port of St Helier
Image:
French fishermen have threatened to blockade the port of St Helier

Mr Eustice said the UK has been asking the European Commission for the data needed to complete the licence applications and will issue them “as soon as they have provided that data”.

“I think the threat that was made is completely disproportionate and unacceptable,” he said.

“We are working through the agreement, Jersey have already licensed over 40 vessels, they’ve been very pragmatic throughout this.

“They’ve also been clear that they’ll process the remaining 17 or so as soon as they put forward the data, so I think it’s unacceptable to make those sorts of comments.”

Mr Eustice said “a small number” of French authorities or individual French fishermen have been “difficult to identify” and get the data from – but Jersey has issued temporary licences as vessels gather the data.

Fresh fish is seen at the fish market in St Helier, Jersey November 13, 2012.
Image:
George Eustice said 40 vessels have been given licences already – but France said they have come with conditions

Analysis: Downing Street is sending a strong message to France

By Alistair Bunkall, defence correspondent

Protecting UK fishing waters is one of the Royal Navy’s oldest tasks, but Downing Street’s decision to send two warships to the Channel Islands is a deliberate posture after France’s initial threat to cut off electricity to the islands.

HMS Tamar and HMS Severn are OPVs – Offshore Patrol Vessels. Despite the rather lowkey name, they are sophisticated ships, especially Tamar which only entered service in 2020 and is equipped with the latest radar, sonar and weaponry technology.

The Royal Navy provides its ships to the UK government (Defra) for a set number of days each year to assist in patrols of waters around England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The devolved Scottish government has its own fleet.

The UK’s Exclusive Economic Zone is the fifth largest in the world, extending 200 miles from the coast. The Royal Navy’s role in UK waters is to prevent overfishing by foreign vessels and to enforce quotas. This has long been controversial but Brexit has made it more so.

Sending OPVs to Channel Island waters is, in itself, not controversial, but people I spoke to in the MoD and Royal Navy were not made aware of the announcement until late on. Fisheries post-Brexit were always going to be controversial, but it seems Downing Street is puffing out its chest and sending a strong message to Paris.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending