Connect with us

Latest News

FedEx shooting: Gun violence is a ‘national embarrassment’ that needs to stop, Joe Biden warns | US News

Published

on

Joe Biden has described mass shootings as a “national embarrassment” that has to end.

A day after eight people were killed in an attack at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis, the US president said more must be done to reduce gun violence – and urged Congress to ban military-style assault weapons.

“Too many Americans are dying every single day from gun violence. It stains our character and pierces the very soul of our nation,” Mr Biden told a White House briefing on Friday.

Pic: AP
Image:
Police have identified the Indianapolis suspect as Brandon Scott Hole, 19. Pic: AP

Mr Biden faces an uphill battle to significantly change the nation’s firearms laws, despite the fact that 43,539 Americans died of gun violence in 2020.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she was “horrified and heartbroken” by Thursday’s incident and called for Congress to “urgently enact common sense” on gun control.

Families who have lost loved ones to gun violence have expressed frustration by the country’s inaction.

Peter Read, whose daughter Mary was one of 32 people killed in a mass shooting at Virginia Tech University in 2007, said: “The time is indeed now to act, but the time has been now to act for years, for decades.”

Police in Indianapolis have identified Brandon Scott Hole as the suspect behind the mass shooting in Indianapolis.

Deputy police chief Craig McCartt said on Friday that he was known to the authorities after the FBI raided his home last year following a call from his mother saying he might attempt “suicide by cop”.

McCartt told a news briefing that investigators have searched his home for a second time and seized evidence including computers.

Emergency services at the scene. Pic: AP
Image:
Emergency services at the FedEx site in Indianapolis. Pic: AP

Hole opened fire at people in the car park of the FedEx facility where he used to work.

He killed four people outside before entering the building and killing four others before turning the gun on himself, McCartt told reporters.

“There was no disturbance, there was no argument. He just appeared to randomly start shooting,” he said.

At least five other people were injured – one critically – with some walking to nearby hospitals for treatment.

The attack happened when employees at the facility, where Hole was last known to have worked in 2020, were changing shifts or having a meal break, the police chief said.

His colleague Randal Taylor said that a “significant” number of staff at the site were Sikh, after a local faith group said they were “sad to confirm” at least four of the victims were members of the community.

Pic: AP
Image:
Hole’s home has been searched for a second time. Pic: AP

The eight were named by the police on Friday as Matthew R Alexander, Samaria Blackwell, Amarjeet Johal, Jaswinder Kaur, Jaswinder Singh, Amarjit Skhon, Karlie Smith and John Weisert.

Meanwhile, US police are continuing to face scrutiny over the fatal shootings of black men at the hands of law enforcement – as the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former officer accused of murdering George Floyd, continues.

In Chicago, people have been protesting the killing of 13-year-old Adam Toledo, who was shot by police on 29 March.

Tensions spilled over after bodycam footage was released showing the teenager’s final moments.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Moments before US police shoot 13-year-old

In the video, Mr Toledo, who was Latino, can be seen running away from police down an alley as an officer shouts for him to stop and show his hands.

The boy obliges, stops and appears to hold his hands up as the officer shouts “drop it”.

But a shot is then heard as the officer repeats the command, and the boy crumples to the ground while the officer asks if he is alright and calls for an ambulance.

Protests over Adam Toledo's killing have taken place in Chicago this week
Image:
Protests over Adam Toledo’s killing have taken place in Chicago this week
Pic: AP
Image:
A shrine has been set up to remember Adam Toledo in Chicago. Pic: AP

Police say Mr Toledo was carrying a handgun, which was found at the scene.

It comes after a separate shooting left 20-year-old Daunte Wright dead in Minneapolis on 11 April.

Video footage shows white police officer Kim Potter shoot Mr Wright, who was black, during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center.

Potter claims she accidentally used her gun instead of a Taser, but she has been charged with second-degree manslaughter.

The Minnesota branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations holds Friday prayers outside a government building in Minneapolis
Image:
Friday prayers are held outside a government building in Minneapolis in protest
Katie Wright (left) mother of Daunte Wright is pictured at a protest in Minneapolis on Friday
Image:
Katie Wright (left), the mother of Daunte Wright, is pictured at a protest in Minneapolis on Friday

Daily protests have been taking place outside the local police station ever since, with officers using tear gas grenades and rubber bullets to disperse demonstrators.

Mayor Mike Elliott hit back at police this week, warning that “gassing is not a human way of policing”.

“This is a request and not an attempt to limit necessary law enforcement response,” he told a news briefing on Friday.

Source link

Latest News

‘We dread the nights’: Life under Israeli bombardment as Gazans live through the ‘madness’ again | UK News

Published

on

Laila Barhoum, a humanitarian worker and human rights advocate in Gaza, describes her feelings of “dread” and “injustice” as the region is pounded by Israeli air strikes.

In Gaza, we always joke about the fact we shouldn’t ask “What worse can happen?” as it seems that we are always proven wrong.

But our worse this time came unexpectedly with innocent people losing their lives.

Laila Barhoum
Image:
Laila says Palestinians have been ‘failed and forgotten for decades’

Last week, we were preparing for Eid, buying chocolate, children getting new clothes and mothers cooking Eid cookies.

This would have contributed to making happy memories. Memories that are now replaced with images of destruction, fear and death.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Building in Gaza collapses after airstrike

The fact that what is happening is happening again because we had been failed by the international community makes it even worse. Knowing that hundreds of innocent people who lost their lives this time and many times before could have been alive now, celebrating Eid with us.

Every day we dread the nights, as with them comes the worst targeting and airstrikes, when we hear the numbers of people killed rising. When we see women and children running, screaming, and houses and buildings turning into dust.

I look around me at my nieces while thinking they live an occupation that I was born under. That I am moving toward my 40s while they are marking their first years, yet we are both suffering from the same injustice.

People inspect the remains of a destroyed building in Gaza City
Image:
People inspect the remains of a destroyed building in Gaza City

Thinking that you are trying to make the world a better place for them because it wasn’t made better for you makes you feel sad and frustrated.

No one feels safe in Gaza, and no place is safe in Gaza.

There are no shelters, no places away from any air strikes. And this is a feeling you carry with you all day long, while you are trying to make sense of what you are going through.

Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

We have been failed and forgotten for decades, which is why we live through this madness again.

The lives of generations of young people and children are shaped by loss, fear and injustice.

These are the lost generations, who only saw what a normal life looks like through a screen. These are the generations who wait for the sun to rise every night so they can breathe.

Israel says it only attacks targets containing Gaza militant groups – who have been launching hundreds of rockets at Israel. It says it makes strenuous efforts to avoid civilian casualties such as giving people advance warning and chance to evacuate.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Inside the Iron Dome: How Israel’s missile defence shield is battling Hamas rocket attacks | World News

Published

on

From the moment a giant, green radar detects rocket fire blasting out of Gaza towards Israel, it is only a matter of seconds before an Israeli defence missile shoots up to intercept.

The radar, at a secure site in southern Israel, relays the information to what the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) call a “battle management centre”.

In reality, it’s a beige-coloured, small metal cabin on the other side of the square-shaped compound.

The iron dome has blocked almost 90% of Hamas airstrikes since the violence began eight days ago
Image:
In a 24-hour operation, soldiers monitor incoming airstrikes and intercept them before they cause serious loss of life or damage

Everything here is mobile – to be able to move in relation to the threat.

A number of military personnel – some aged between just 18 and 21 – in the cabin then calculate the trajectory of the rocket, the anticipated impact point and which air defence missile launcher to use to fire back.

It’s a job that needs manning 24 hours a day.

Launcher selected, a single operator is able to fire multiple missiles against multiple Hamas rockets at the same time.

The missiles are guided onto their targets and either smash directly into the incoming rocket or explode near to it, with the shrapnel rendering the incoming fire redundant.

Major Kifr – we were not allowed to use his full name for security reasons – is in charge of the 947 Iron Dome Battalion.

He and his team have been busy since the conflict with Hamas started eight days ago.

The rate of rocket fire, launched by Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants is unprecedented.

But the officer says his unit and the many others that comprise Israel’s Iron Dome air defence shield are more than up to the task.

“We have been trained for this situation,” he told Sky News.

He said the shield – which has blocked about 90% of the incoming rocket fire – could handle an even heavier tempo of attack if necessary.

It is the main reason why, despite more than 3,000 rockets being fired in their direction, Israel has only suffered a relatively low number of fatalities.

“We are very proud of our mission,” Major Kifr said. “We do not distinguish between Arabs, Jews or anyone. We protect everyone.”

His troops are not immune to the threat posed by the incoming fire though.

Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

As Sky News was at the site, a siren sounded warning of rocket fire.

Military personnel moved into a concrete shelter to wait until the threat was over – a common scene across the country these days.

As we stepped back outside, small clouds of white smoke could be seen in the air – evidence of successful interceptions by a different air defence unit.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

COVID-19: Disneyland Paris to reopen but no hugs from Mickey Mouse – as Netherlands sex workers return amid lockdown easing across world | World News

Published

on

Disneyland Paris has announced the date it will reopen and sex workers in the Netherlands will return this week, as several countries ease COVID restrictions.

Having been closed since last October, Disney’s amusement park in the French capital will welcome visitors back from 17 June.

A statement said the site’s reopening would be accompanied by “appropriate health and safety measures” – with hugs from the likes of Mickey Mouse and other mascots suspended.

It will also limit the number of visitors, with those over six being asked to wear masks.

Sex workers can welcome clients again from this week
Image:
Sex workers in the Netherlands can welcome clients again from this week

Meanwhile, Netherlands health minister Hugo de Jonge revealed a series of measures to relax coronavirus rules.

Parks, zoos, gyms and outdoor swimming pools will reopen on Wednesday, after the rollout of COVID-19 vaccinations eased pressure on hospitals, the minister said.

And sex workers will be allowed to resume five months after being ordered to pause operations in mid-December.

They had protested in Amsterdam in March, saying they were being discriminated against as the authorities allowed other “contact businesses” including hairdressers and masseurs to reopen.

Public libraries will reopen on Thursday and further steps, including reopening museums and allowing indoor service at restaurants, are expected over the next three weeks, Mr de Jonge added.

“This a responsible step at this moment, but we have to stay very careful,” he said of the broader relaxation.

Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

“We see a significant contribution from vaccinations. But we’re not there yet.”

COVID infections in the Netherlands have dropped by more than a quarter this month, after climbing to their highest levels of the year in April.

Another city to be easing measures is Dubai, where hotels in the regional tourism hub will be allowed to operate at full capacity and concerts and sports events will be able to welcome crowds and participants who have been vaccinated.

The United Arab Emirates ranks highly globally for coronavirus testing and vaccination rates, which has allowed for capacities for restaurants and entertainment venues to also be increased.

Authorities in Sri Lanka have announced shops and public transport can reopen, easing a three-day travel restriction imposed across the country.

Sri Lankans had been from banned from leaving their homes since Thursday night to try to contain the spread of COVID-19.

Authorities said though that those restrictions would now be imposed for five hours overnight for the next two weeks.

And in Turkey, the interior ministry has said a full lockdown that had ordered people to stay home to fight infections would be shifting to a less-restrictive program.

This will still involve curfews on weeknights and weekends from 1 June, which authorities said was part of a “gradual normalisation”.

Shopping malls can reopen – and while some businesses will remain closed, including gyms and cafes, restaurants will be able to offer takeaway in addition to delivery. Preschools will resume in-person education but upper grades will continue remote learning.

People in Turkey can also return to their workplaces but must stay at home from 9pm to 5am on weekdays.

However, other parts of the world have been tightening restrictions.

Hong Kong authorities say quarantine rules for arrivals from countries like Singapore, Japan and Malaysia would become tightened from Friday amid a surge in coronavirus infections.

And Trinidad and Tobago has declared a state of emergency, also citing a sharp increase in cases.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending