Connect with us

Latest News

Ingrid Escamilla murder: Hundreds protest against ‘femicide state’ | World News

Published

on

Hundreds of demonstrators have demanded action from the Mexican government after the latest murder of a young woman in the country.

An average of 10 women are murdered in Mexico every day but the protests were sparked by the particularly grisly killing of 25-year-old Ingrid Escamilla in Mexico City.

Ms Escamilla was found dead by officers at an apartment just north of the city centre last weekend, her body skinned and part of her corpse flushed down a sewer.

Protesters clash with police as women march in Mexico City, on February 14, 2020, to protest gender violence. - Several protests convened on Friday in the Mexican capital and other cities of the country after the murder of Ingrid Escamilla, 25, stabbed to death and then skinned by her partner in the north of Mexico City on February 9
Image:
Protesters said Mexico had become a “femicide state”

Her boyfriend has been arrested in connection with her murder.

Gruesome pictures of her body were published by some Mexican newspapers, a move that sparked further anger.

Lilia Florencio Guerrero, whose daughter was murdered in 2017, called on President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, who was inside the palace during the protests, to do more to stop the violence.

She said: “It’s not just Ingrid. There are thousands of femicides.

“It fills us with anger and rage.”

The protesters, most of them women, painted the words “femicide state” in red on Mexico’s presidential palace.

A press vehicle is set on fire as women march in Mexico City on February 14, 2020, to protest gender violence. - Several protests convened on Friday in the Mexican capital and other cities of the country after the murder of Ingrid Escamilla, 25, stabbed to death and then skinned by her partner in the north of Mexico City on February 9
Image:
A press vehicle was set on fire during the protests

They also marched through heavy rain to the offices of La Prensa, which published photos of Ms Escamilla’s body on its front page. At least one vehicle belonging to the newspaper was set on fire.

The newspaper later said in a statement that it had “entered a process of deeper review”.

The United Mexican Journalists collective was quoted in El Pais as saying that publication of the photos showed “total lack of respect for the victim, the accused, due process and society”.

“The message they sent to society was that they are entrepreneurs and their content (is) a mere commodity…It is a very dark moment for the Mexican press.”

A protester lays flowers on a poster during a protest against gender-based violence in downtown of Mexico City, Mexico, February 14, 2020
Image:
Last year 3,825 women were murdered, an increase of 7% from 2018

Officials say they are investigating police officers thought to have taken the photos with their mobile phones before leaking them to newspapers.

Protesters chanted “not one more murder” and carried signs saying “we demand responsible journalism”, “Ingrid we are all you” and “sexism kills”.

In a statement, the protesters said: “It enrages us how Ingrid was killed, and how the media put her body on display.

“It enrages us that the public judges us, saying ‘this isn’t the right way to express your rage’.

“We are not mad, we are furious.”

The 25-year-old was found in an apartment. Pic: Instagram
Image:
Ingrid Escamilla, 25, was murdered in Mexico City. Pic: Instagram

On social media, people sought to counteract the photos published in newspapers with photos of Ms Escamilla alive and happy.

Inside the presidential palace, the president told reporters: “I’m not burying my head in the sand… The government I represent will always take care of ensuring the safety of women.”

He did not give further details of how he would do this.

Last year 3,825 women were murdered, an increase of 7% from 2018, according to official figures.

Source link

Latest News

Brexit: UK and EU will ‘rip each other apart’ in talks, France predicts | Politics News

Published

on

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been warned that he will face a tough battle with the European Union in his efforts to secure a trade deal in the aftermath of Brexit.

France’s foreign minister Jean-Yves le Drian gave the prediction during the Munich Security Conference, as both sides prepare to begin negotiations on the UK’s future relationship with the bloc.

Mr le Drian warned Mr Johnson that Brussels will defend its interests when talks formally open up next month, saying: “I think that on trade issues and the mechanism for future relations, which we are going to start on, we are going to rip each other apart.

“But that is part of negotiations, everyone will defend their own interests.”



BREXIT PARSONS







Now the UK is out of the EU, what next?

The UK’s chief negotiator David Frost is set to make it clear that Mr Johnson will walk away from talks with the EU, unless it drops what he calls its “ridiculous and unreasonable” demands.

Mr Frost is said to be travelling to Brussels on Monday to lay down his opening gambit, following a meeting of his 40-strong negotiating team last week.

Mr le Drian is a close ally of French President Emmanuel Macron, and is one of the latest major European voices to speak out about the tough road ahead for the UK.

Fishing will be high on the agenda during trade talks, and it is believed that Mr Macron wants EU fleets to keep their access to UK waters, in what is set to be a key demand in the negotiations.

However, Mr Johnson has said that the UK will take control of its fishing waters, acting as a “independent coastal state” once the Brexit transition period is over.

:: Listen to Sophy Ridge on Sunday on Apple podcasts, Google podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

The EU has sent repeated warnings to the UK ahead of talks, saying it should not expect to be able to carry enjoying “high quality” market access if it demands on moving away from the bloc’s existing social and environmental standards.

The new European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, told the European Parliament this week that Mr Johnson would have to accept a “level playing field” on rules and standards.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Britons land in Sharm el Sheikh as 5-year flight restriction lifted | World News

Published

on

One of the first flights from the UK to Sharm el Sheikh has landed after restrictions on flying to the Egyptian resort were lifted.

British tourists on the TUI flight from Gatwick were greeted by celebrations, with fire engines jetting water over the top of the aircraft and a reception featuring flowers, music and cocktails.

Flights between the UK and Sharm el Sheikh were halted in November 2015 after a bomb blew up on a Russian airliner shortly after take-off from Sharm el Sheikh airport, killing all 224 people on board.

Fire engines sprayed water over the plane
Image:
Fire engines sprayed water over the plane
Passengers were greeted with celebrations
Image:
Passengers were greeted with celebrations

The Department for Transport lifted the restrictions in October, saying there had been “improvements in security procedures” and “close co-operation between our aviation security experts and their Egyptian counterparts”.

The bombing had forced the UK to repatriate about 16,000 tourists in 2015 as the airport’s security procedures were considered high risk.

TUI, the UK’s biggest travel company, said last year it would be resuming flights to the Egyptian resort this month.

Rival company Easyjet also said it would be restarting flights to Sharm el Sheikh.

The airline said two flights a week would depart from Manchester from 7 June, while flights from Gatwick will begin on 30 September.

The ban had sparked a steep decline in UK visitors to the region, which had previously seen hundreds of thousands of British tourists each year.

Egypt disputes Russia's claim of terrorism over the Metrojet crash
Image:
The plane bombing killed 224 people

Tourists were forced to either take multiple flights or a ferry from Hurghada to visit the Red Sea destination.

It was one of the factors which led to the collapse of airline Monarch in October 2017.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Coronavirus: Americans start to leave cruise ship as Britons claim ‘we’ve been forgotten’ | World News

Published

on

The US has evacuated some of its citizens from a cruise ship quarantined over coronavirus fears.

Two charter flights carrying some of the 380 Americans on board the Diamond Princess ship moored at Yokohama Port near Tokyo had left Japan for America on Sunday, the US State Department said.

Once back in the US, the repatriated passengers will have to spend another two weeks in quarantine at a US military facility.

Evacuated US passengers seen on a shuttle bus
Image:
Evacuated US passengers seen on a shuttle bus


US couple in quarantine on cruise chip in Japan







US couple to evacuate quarantined cruise ship

Of the 3,500 people on board the ship, 355 have tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

One US couple, Cheryl and Paul Molesky, filmed themselves boarding the flight after being kept inside their cabin for 12 days.

“Well we’re exhausted but we’re on the plane and that’s a good feeling,” Mrs Molesky said.

Her husband added they had spent “five hours on the bus, waiting to get off the bus” before boarding the flight.

Canada, Hong Kong and Italy are also planning similar repatriation flights.

Meanwhile, Britons held on the ship have accused the UK government of “forgetting” about them.

In a video message, British passenger David Abel said: “Every country except the UK has become involved, and that is really wonderful for the people on board the ship.



British citizen David Abel is currently quarantined aboard a cruise ship off the coast of Japan







Briton describes cruise quarantine

“Every country except for the United Kingdom.

“It feels that we’ve been forgotten. That you don’t really care about us, and that you’re actually not wanting us to come home.”

Fellow Briton Alan Steele, who was diagnosed with COVID-19 and taken to hospital while celebrating his honeymoon on the cruise ship, said it was time for Boris Johnson to “get the Brits back”.

Mr Steele, who has since tested negative for the disease, posted on Facebook: “I think it is about time boris got the brits back to england as the japanese are being totally incompetent and do not realise you cannot keep ppl in solitary confinement for 28 days without damaging their mental health. [sic]

Alan Steele with his wife on their wedding day
Image:
Alan Steele with his wife on their wedding day

“What does WHO [World Health Organisation] have to say about this and I am sure cruel punishment like this has to be illegal.”

News agency PA understands that the UK government is considering a repatriation flight.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “We sympathise with all those caught up in this extremely difficult situation.

“We are urgently considering all options to guarantee the health and safety of the British people on board the Diamond Princess, in line with the latest advice from the Chief Medical Officer and the World Health Organisation, and are working closely with the Japanese authorities and our international partners.

“Our staff in Tokyo, including the ambassador, have been in regular contact with the British passengers and crew on the Diamond Princess and we have also been speaking to families in the UK.”

Other passengers fear they may be kept in quarantine beyond the initial 19 February deadline, after Princess Cruises president Jan Swartz said the quarantine may be extended for guests who had close contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19.

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Ms Swartz said: “We also now understand the Japanese may handle a select group of guests differently, anyone who had close contact with a person who tested positive – such as a cabin mate – may have to restart their quarantine from the date their close contact ended.”

It comes as the death toll from COVID-19 hit more than 1,773, according to the Johns Hoskins Centre for Systems Science and Engineering.

So far there have been more than 71,000 suspected and confirmed cases of COVID-19, with many of the cases concentrated in mainland China.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending