Connect with us

World

Euro zone GDP slows as expected in Q4, but employment beats consensus

Published

on

Alexander Hassenstein | Getty Images News | Getty Images

Euro zone economic growth slowed as expected in the last three months of 2019 as gross domestic product shrank in France and Italy against the previous quarter, but employment growth picked up more than expected, official estimates showed on Friday.

The European Union’s statistics office Eurostat said GDP in the 19 countries sharing the euro expanded 0.1% quarter-on-quarter in the October-December period, as announced on Jan 31, for a 0.9% year-on-year gain – a downward revision from the previously estimated 1.0% growth.

The quarterly growth rate slowed compared to the 0.3% expansion in the third quarter because of a 0.1% contraction in the second biggest economy France and a 0.3% contraction in the third biggest Italy. Growth in Germany, the biggest euro zone economy, stagnated.

Eurostat also said that euro zone employment rose 0.3% quarter-on-quarter in the last three months of 2019 for a 1.0% year-on-year gain. Economists polled by Reuters had expected a 0.1% quarterly rise and a 0.8% annual increase.

Separately, Eurostat said the euro zone’s trade surplus with the rest of the world was 23.1 billion euros in December, up from 16.3 billion a year earlier, bringing the total for the whole of 2019 to 225.7 billion, up from 194.6 billion in 2018.

Adjusted for seasonal factors, the trade surplus was 22.2 billion in December, up from 19.1 billion in November as exports rose 0.9% on the month and imports fell 0.7%.

Source link

World

Dubai’s DP World is delisting and returning to private ownership

Published

on

A gantry crane stands in the DP World Ltd. terminal at Port Metro Vancouver in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018.

Darryl Dyck | Bloomberg | Getty Images

DP World, one of the world’s largest port operators, is delisting from the Nasdaq Dubai and returning to fully private ownership, the company announced Monday.

The UAE-owned port behemoth’s parent company, Port and Free Zone World, has offered to buy the 19.55% of DP World’s shares traded on the Nasdaq Dubai for $16.75 a share, representing a 29% premium on its closing price of $13 per share on Sunday, the statement said.

Following the announcement, the firm’s stock rose 10% to $14.30 in morning trade in the Middle East.

The company said the move would enable DP World to “focus on its medium-to-long-term strategy of transforming from a global port operator to an infrastructure-led end-to-end logistics provider.” Company executives described the company’s public trading as ultimately too beholden to short-term returns.

Upon completion of the deal, it will be 100% owned by Port and Free Zone World.

The development could be bad news for the Nasdaq Dubai, for whom DP World has been a major draw for investors trading the publicly-listed shares. The Dubai-based exchange did not offer comment when contacted by CNBC. DP World had a market value of about $10 billion as of Monday morning, whereas the whole exchange is worth over $130 billion.  

“The DP World Board has concluded that the disadvantages of maintaining a public listing outweigh the benefits,” Yuvraj Narayan, group chief financial, strategy and business officer of DP World, said in the statement Monday.

“Delisting from Nasdaq Dubai is in the best interest of the company, enabling it to execute its medium to long-term strategy … In contrast, public markets typically hold a short-term view. As a result of this gap, the DP World strategy is not fully appreciated by the equity markets, and consequently is not reflected in the company’s share price performance.”

DP World Group Chairman and CEO Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem described the ports and logistics industry as in the midst of a major transition, with its customer base undergoing consolidation and the “vertical integration of several competitors.”

“Returning to private ownership will free DP World from the demands of the public market for short term returns which are incompatible with this industry, and enable the company to focus on implementing our mid-to-long-term strategy,” he said.

DP World operates 48 marine terminals and 13 port developments in more than 30 countries.

Shares of DP World peaked in late January 2018 at $26.99 per share and have fallen about 52% since then as of Sunday’s market close in the United Arab Emirates. The company’s revenue in 2018 was $5.6 billion, a nearly 20% increase on the previous year, according to its latest available financial report.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

Malaysia bars entry of MS Westerdam cruise passengers

Published

on

Malaysia has barred the entry of remaining passengers from a cruise ship docked in Cambodia — after an American passenger tested positive for the new coronavirus upon her arrival in Kuala Lumpur.

Confirming local media reports, Malaysia’s deputy minister for international trade and industry, Ong Kian Ming, told CNBC on Monday that his country will stop “other people who want to come to Malaysia from the cruise ship … for now.”

The 83-year-old American woman, who arrived in Malaysia from Cambodia last week, was the first person from the MS Westerdam cruise ship to test positive for the virus, now called COVID-19.

She and her husband were found to have flu-like symptoms while going through the thermal scanner at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport last week, local media reported. Her husband tested negative for the virus, the reports said.

The cruise — which carried 1,455 guests and 802 crew — departed Hong Kong on Feb. 1. The ship arrived in Cambodia last Thursday after being turned away by several countries including Japan, the Philippines, and Thailand, which were afraid passengers onboard might be infected.

Malaysia is also closing its ports to cruise ships originating from or had transited in China, according to local media reports. The country has confirmed 22 cases of COVID-19, according to data from the Johns Hopkins University.

Speaking to CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia,” Ong said the spread of the coronavirus would drag down Malaysia’s growth.

“Definitely, we’re anticipating that there will be short-term disruptions in the supply chains that could affect some of the multinational companies working and operating in Malaysia,” he said.

He added that the country’s growth could be lower than the government’s target of 4.8% for 2020. But both the government and the central bank, Bank Negara, have the ability to support the Malaysian economy, said Ong.

Still, various banks and research houses have downgraded their growth forecasts for Malaysia after the economy expanded by 3.6% year-on-year in the fourth quarter of 2019 — the slowest rate in a decade.

One of the most drastic downgrades came from Dutch bank ING, which cut its forecast for Malaysia’s 2020 growth from 4.5% to 3.5%.

“It’s not going to be too long before demand takes a hit from the rapid spread of Covid-19, the virus currently causing havoc worldwide,” Prakash Sakpal, Asia economist at ING, wrote in a note last week.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

General Motors (GM) retreats from Australia, New Zealand and Thailand

Published

on

Mary Barra, Chairman and CEO of General Motors.

Bill Pugliano | Getty Images

General Motors is continuing a years-long global restructuring to concentrate on high-profit markets such as North America and China.

The Detroit automaker said Sunday that it will “wind down” its sales, design and engineering operations in Australia and New Zealand and discontinue its Holden brand in the region by 2021.

GM also announced plans to exit Thailand, including withdrawing Chevrolet by the end of this year and selling a plant to Chinese automaker Great Wall Motors.

GM said it expects to take $1.1 billion in charges mostly in the first quarter as a result of the actions, including $300 million in cash.

Chairman and CEO Mary Barra said the actions are part of the automaker’s global restructuring, which was initially announced in 2015, to concentrate on profitable markets and prioritize investment on driving “growth in the future of mobility,” especially in all-electric and autonomous vehicles.

“I’ve often said that we will do the right thing, even when it’s hard, and this is one of those times,” Barra said in a release.

The announcement comes more than two years after GM ended vehicle manufacturing in Australia, a place the automaker used as a proving ground for up-and-coming executives, including GM President Mark Reuss.

Reuss, in the release, said the company explored a range of options to continue Holden operations, but “none could overcome the challenges of the investments needed for the highly fragmented right-hand-drive market, the economics to support growing the brand, and delivering an appropriate return on investment.”

“At the highest levels of our company we have the deepest respect for Holden’s heritage and contribution to our company and to the countries of Australia and New Zealand,” Reuss said.

The market exits add to unprecedented actions by GM to retreat from underperforming markets in recent years, most notably selling its European operations to French automaker PSA Group in 2017. It also restructured its operations in South Korea and ended or limited operations in Russia, Australia, India and Thailand.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending