Connect with us

Politics

Polling guru John Curtice in shock confession on votes Brexit Party will steal in election

Published

on

Politics

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp ordered to answer questions in election lawsuit

Published

on

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp will have to sit for questioning about comments he made that seemed to express concern about minority voter registration, a federal judge has ruled.

U.S. District Judge Steve Jones ruled that the Republican governor will have to answer questions as part of a lawsuit filed by Fair Fight Action, an organization founded by Democrat Stacey Abrams, who unsuccessfully ran against Kemp in 2018.

Prior to being elected governor last year, Kemp served as Georgia’s chief election officer as secretary of state.

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.

The lawsuit accuses the secretary of state and election board members of mismanaging the 2018 election in ways that deprived some citizens, particularly low-income people and minorities, of their constitutional right to vote. It seeks substantial reforms and asks that the state be required to get a federal judge’s approval before changing voting rules.

Lawyer’s for the plaintiffs had asked that Kemp be made to answer questions about a range of topics. But the judge limited the scope of what could be asked to focus narrowly on Kemp’s interpretation of the responsibilities of the secretary of state and state elections board, comments he made about minority voter registration and the actions of the state elections board while he was its chair. Jones said that questions about other topics could be addressed by subordinate officials.

Kemp’s comments about minority voter registration happened at a Gwinnett County event in July of 2014, according to Jones’ order.

“You know the Democrats are working hard, and all these stories about them, you know, registering all these minority voters that are out there and others that are sitting on the sidelines, if they can do that they can win this November. But we’ve got to do the exact same thing,” Kemp said at the time. He then encouraged attendees to help register more Republicans.

Lawyers for the state argued that Kemp was simply pressing for greater Republican registration efforts to offset Democratic ones, but Jones ruled that only Kemp could explain what he meant by the statement.

Kemp spokesman Cody Hall declined to comment.

Kemp’s deposition will be limited to two hours and must be completed by Jan. 10.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Which candidates have qualified for the December Democratic debate?

Published

on

WASHINGTON — A number of candidates have so far qualified for next month’s Democratic debate in Los Angeles, sponsored by PBS Newshour and Politico, according to an unofficial NBC News tally.

Candidates have until Dec. 12 to qualify for the Dec. 19 debate, but those who have already clinched a podium are:

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.

  • Former Vice President Joe Biden
  • Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana
  • Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar
  • Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren
  • Vermont independent Sen. Bernie Sanders
  • Billionaire Tom Steyer
  • Businessman Andrew Yang

California Sen. Kamala Harris qualified for the debate, but dropped her bid for the nomination on Dec. 3, citing a lack of resources.

And Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard is one poll away, but has said that she won’t participate regardless of whether she makes it or not.

But other candidates who have made previous debates are struggling to hit the December threshold. Former Housing and Urban Development Sec. Julián Castro and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker both find themselves with a significant hurdle to climb with just days before the Dec. 12 deadline.

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who officially announced he’s running on Sunday, isn’t accepting donations, which will make it impossible for him to qualify even if he does hit a polling threshold.

Candidates need to show strength in both grassroots fundraising — netting 200,000 unique donors or more — as well as in the polls, hitting 4 percent in four national or state polls, or 6 percent in two polls of the early states: Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina.

The lineup is unofficial until the DNC certifies the field, and the donor totals are based on candidates’ public self-reporting figures.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump paid $2 million judgment for misusing his charity, New York attorney general says

Published

on

President Donald Trump has paid $2 million in a court-ordered judgment for misusing his charity, New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement Tuesday.

“Not only has the Trump Foundation shut down for its misconduct, but the president has been forced to pay $2 million for misusing charitable funds for his own political gain,” James said. “Charities are not a means to an end, which is why these damages speak to the president’s abuse of power and represent a victory for not-for-profits that follow the law.”

Last month, a federal judge ordered Trump to pay the $2 million in damages after the foundation admitted in a settlement that the president personally misused foundation funds to help his 2016 presidential campaign, settle personal legal disputes and buyportraits of himself and sports memorabilia.

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.

The $2 million will go to eight different charities: Army Emergency Relief, the Children’s Aid Society, Citymeals-on-Wheels, Give an Hour, Martha’s Table, the United Negro College Fund, the United Way of National Capital Area, and the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Trump also agreed to distribute the remaining $1.8 million in the foundation’s coffers among those same charities.

Each charity will receive a total of $476,140.41. The settlement also called for mandatory training requirements for the now-defunct foundation’s directors — Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Eric Trump, which James said each has undergone.

“Funds have finally gone where they deserve — to eight credible charities. My office will continue to fight for accountability because no one is above the law — not a businessman, not a candidate for office, and not even the president of the United States,” James said.

Alan Futerfas, an attorney for The Trump Organization, said that the company is satisfied with the outcome.

“The Foundation case settled weeks ago with all issues resolved and all funds going to charity. We are very pleased with the result,” he said in an email to NBC News.

The Trump Foundation, the charitable organization started by Trump in 1987, agreed to disband in 2018 and give away its assets after a probe by then-acting New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood revealed a “shocking pattern of illegality” that included “unlawful coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing, and much more.”

James took over the case in 2019 when she was sworn in as attorney general and continued the lawsuit against Trump and three of his eldest children, who served on the charity, and barred them from serving on any charities in New York state.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending