Connect with us

Latest News

Amazon wildfires: Brazil’s president accuses world leaders of ‘interfering’ | World News

Published

on

Brazil’s president has accused other countries of interfering as they express fears for the burning Amazon rainforest.

The number of forest fires in Brazil – more than 74,000 – has increased by 83% compared with the same period last year, with smoke that is visible from 400 miles up in space.

World leaders are increasingly worried about the situation, as the Amazon – described as the world’s lungs – is a vital absorber of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.



72,843 fires have been detected in the Amazon this year







Thousands of fires ravage the Amazon

French President Emmanuel Macron said the fires are an “international crisis”, writing on Twitter: “Our house is burning. Literally.

“The Amazon rain forest – the lungs which produce 20% of our planet’s oxygen – is on fire”.

But Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro hit back, saying: “I regret that Macron seeks to make personal political gains in an internal matter for Brazil and other Amazonian countries. The sensationalist tone he used does nothing to solve the problem.”

Mr Bolsonaro also claimed news organisations had exploited the fires to undermine his government, saying: “Most of the media wants Brazil to end up like Venezuela.”

Kumi Naidoo, Amnesty International’s secretary-general, said: “Instead of spreading outrageous lies or denying the scale of deforestation taking place, we urge the president to take immediate action to halt the progress of these fires.”

Fire destroys a forest in Apiau, 120kms (74 miles) from Boa Vista, capital of the state of Roraima
Image:
The fires are destroying the rainforest, which is described as the world’s lungs

The Bishops Conference for Latin America described the fires as a “tragedy”, saying: “We urge the governments of the Amazon countries, especially Brazil and Bolivia, the United Nations and the international community to take serious measures to save the world’s lungs.”

But Filipe Martins, an adviser to Mr Bolsonaro, said the Amazon would be saved by Brazil and not “the empty, hysterical and misleading rhetoric of the mainstream media, transnational bureaucrats and NGOs”.

Brazil's official monitoring agency reported a sharp increase in Amazon wildfires this year
Image:
Brazil’s official monitoring agency reported a sharp increase in Amazon wildfires this year

Fires in the rainforest at this time of year are not unusual, but environmentalists blame the increase on farmers deliberately setting fires to clear land for agriculture.

On Thursday, Mr Bolsonaro admitted this could be the case – a day after he had blamed environmental groups for setting the fires.

Just eight months into his presidency, the right-wing president has made it clear he wants to open the Amazon up to the demands of mining, agricultural and logging companies.



President Bolsonaro  suspects NGOs might be burning the Amazon rainforest







‘Shall I blame the martians for Amazon fires?’

Federal prosecutors are investigating a Brazilian newspaper advert calling on farmers to be part of Fire Day and burn parts of the forest to show the president “their willingness to work”.

This month, Norway and Germany stopped funding anti-deforestation projects in Brazil, worried by changes to how the projects were being chosen under Mr Bolsonaro.

At the time the president had said his country “does not need” the funding.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Musk claims ‘pedo guy’ slur about Thai cave diver unintended | World News

Published

on

Elon Musk has said he did not intend to accuse a diver who helped rescue 12 Thai boys from a cave of being a paedophile – despite calling him a “pedo guy”.

The Tesla Inc chief executive made the claim as he tried to get a defamation lawsuit against him dismissed.

Vernon Unsworth brought the case against the multi-billionaire after saying in an interview that Musk was throwing a “PR stunt” by offering to help his dive team rescue the boys and their football coach from a flooded Thai cave system in 2018.

Boys who were trapped in a Thai cave appear at a news conference
Image:
Mr Unsworth helped rescue the 12 boys and their coach

Mr Musk then called him a “pedo guy” on Twitter.

He has now said the term was “a common insult used in South Africa when I was growing up”.

And he claimed it was “synonymous with ‘creepy old man'”, and was used to insult a person’s appearance and demeanour.









The rescue – the moment they were saved

“I did not intend to accuse Mr Unsworth of engaging in acts of paedophilia,” he said.

“In response to his insults in the CNN interview, I meant to insult him back by expressing my opinion that he seemed like a creepy old man.”

Mr Musk also sent an email to a BuzzFeed News reporter after the slagging match, asking them to “stop defending child rapists”.

He has now claimed that was an “off the record” email based on an aide’s summary of a private investigator’s report on Mr Unsworth, which he did not know was false.

Mr Unsworth is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk speaks during the unveiling of the new Tesla Model Y in Hawthorne, California on March 14, 2019. (Photo by Frederic J. BROWN / AFP)        (Photo credit should read FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has to have tweets about the company approved by a lawyer first

His lawyer, L Lin Wood, said he will reply to Musk’s claims in three weeks, but aded: “I’ll keep my powder dry for now, but I can assure you it will be explosive.”

Mr Wood called Mr Musk’s motion “as offensive to the truth as was his original tweet”.

He added Mr Unworth is “a good man whose efforts saved the lives of 13 people”.

Mr Musk has claimed Mr Unworth is a public figure when it comes to the cave rescue, which would require him showing clear and convincing evidence that Mr Musk made his statements with “actual malice”.

Earlier this year Mr Musk agreed to seek his lawyers’ approval before tweeting about Tesla’s finances after saying he had secured funding to take the company private in 2018 at $420 (£325) a share, despite not having the money to pull off the deal.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

<a href='https://news.sky.com/story/hope-and-fear-will-fuel-global-climate-change-strikes-11811713'>Hope and fear will fuel global climate change strikes</a>

Published

on


<a href='https://news.sky.com/story/hope-and-fear-will-fuel-global-climate-change-strikes-11811713'>Hope and fear will fuel global climate change strikes</a>

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

More than 2,000 preserved foetal remains found at dead doctor’s home | World News

Published

on

More than 2,000 medically preserved foetal remains have been found at the home of a late Indiana abortion clinic doctor, leading to calls for a federal investigation.

The gruesome discovery was made after Dr Ulrich Klopfer died on 3 September and family members began sorting through his property in Illinois.

The county coroner’s office has taken possession of the 2,246 preserved remains.

State Republican Ron Bacon has called for the Indiana attorney general’s office to investigate the now-closed clinics in Fort Wayne, Gary and South Bend, where Klopfer had performed abortions.

He described the discovery as “seriously disturbing” and expressed concern that “there may be other remains”.

A spokeswoman for the Will County Sheriff’s Office said its investigation was ongoing and no further information would be released until it is complete.

She called it “a very sensitive situation” involving the sheriff’s department, coroner’s office and prosecutors.

Klopfer was believed to be Indiana’s most prolific abortion doctor, performing thousands of procedures over several decades.

His three clinics closed years before his death.

The state revoked the South Bend clinic’s licence in 2015 and the Indiana State Department of Health had previously issued complaints against the clinic, accusing it of lacking a patient register, policies regarding medical abortion, and a governing body to determine policies.

Klopfer’s licence was suspended by Indiana’s Medical Licensing Board in November 2016 after it found a number of violations, including a failure to ensure that qualified staff were present when patients received or recovered from medications given before and during abortion procedures.

He was no longer practising by that time, but told the panel he had never lost a patient in 43 years of doing abortions.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending