Connect with us

World

Analysts on Shanghai’s new Nasdaq-style STAR tech board

Published

on

People take pictures during an opening ceremony of the Shanghai Stock Exchange’s Sci-Tech Innovation Board in Shanghai on July 22, 2019.

STR | AFP | Getty Images

The first tranche of companies on China’s new Nasdaq-style tech board started trading on Monday, with all the stocks seeing gains on their public debut.

Still, some are cautioning against jumping quickly into the action.

“I think this market, it needs to … basically take a little bit of patience to develop,” Eugene Qian, president of UBS Securities, told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on Monday.

“For anything new in China, there is a tendency for retail-oriented markets like China to overly speculate,” Qian said, adding that this would contribute to a “short-term bubble” that may not be sustainable.

The new technology board — the Science and Technology Innovation Board, or “STAR Market,” which is operated by the Shanghai Stock Exchange — comes as China attempts to address investor concerns about market volatility and the lack of governance.

It’s easier for firms to go public in the new STAR Market tech board, compared to listing on the Shanghai A-share market, as companies need to go through a registration instead of waiting for regulatory approval which could take longer.

“I think a lot of people are going to really be behind this,” Gareth Nicholson, head of fixed income at Bank of Singapore, told CNBC on Monday. “This is gonna be pretty wild.”

‘Focus on individual companies’

Prior to their public debut, initial public offerings on the STAR Market saw an average over-subscription of about 1,700 times among retail investors, Reuters reported. In the first five days of a company’s listing, no daily price limits will be placed. But after that period, a stock will be allowed to trade within a 20% range.

In comparison, listings elsewhere in China are subjected to a gain cap of 44% on their debut and limited to a 10% gain or loss thereafter.

J.P. Morgan’s Chief China Economist and Head of China Equity Strategy, Haibin Zhu, urged investors to “focus on individual companies.”

“You need to focus on the sector and the company itself, and make sure that they have decent or stable earnings outlook,” Zhu told CNBC’s “Street Signs” on Monday.

With the new stock board primarily aimed at domestic investors, opportunities for foreign participation will be minimal for now.

UBS Securities’ Qian said foreign investors are likely to watch “with a lot of interest” but will likely “wait a little bit out.”

Many of the stocks listed on the new tech board are similar to those on the Chinext in Shenzhen, which is already included by MSCI in its indexes, Qian said.

“I think there will be opportunities for long-term, value-driven … international investors later on,” he said.

Looking ahead, the Shanghai Stock Exchange said an index tracking the STAR Market will be launched on the 11th trading day following the debut of the 30th company on the board.

— CNBC’s Evelyn Cheng, Yen Nee Lee and Reuters contributed to this report.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

US-UK trade deal within a year of Brexit will be tight, UK PM Johnson

Published

on

It will be tight to meet the United States’ desire to do a post-Brexit trade deal with Britain within a year, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday.

Johnson, who took office last month, had his first bilateral meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump earlier on Sunday at the G7 meeting in France and the two discussed a range of issues including trade.

In interviews with British television media afterwards, Johnson said the United States wanted to do a deal within a year of Britain leaving the EU on Oct. 31.

“Years and years is an exaggeration, but to do it all within a year is going to be tight,” he told BBC TV.

Johnson also said the chances of Britain agreeing a Brexit deal with the EU were improving but it would be “touch and go”.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

Hong Kong police briefly turn water cannon on protesters, fire tear gas

Published

on

Protesters gather in Kwai Fong in Hong Kong on August 24, 2019.

LILLIAN SUWANRUMPHA | AFP | Getty Images

Hong Kong police briefly fired water cannon and volleys of tear gas to force back brick-throwing protesters on Sunday after violent clashes a day earlier during which police also fired tear gas for the first time in more than a week.

At least one petrol bomb was thrown by protesters. The water cannon, which had not been used in years of anti-government protests, soon pulled away.

The Chinese-ruled city’s MTR rail operator suspended some services to try to prevent people gathering but protesters made it to a sports stadium in the vast container port of Kwai Chung, from where they marched to nearby Tsuen Wan.

Some dug up bricks from the pavement and wheeled them away to use as ammunition, others sprayed detergent on the road to make it slippery for the lines of police. Clashes spread in many directions.

Police had warned earlier they would launch a “dispersal operation” and told people to leave.

“Some radical protesters have removed railings … and set up barricades with water-filled barriers, bamboo sticks, traffic cones and other objects,” they said in a statement.

“Such acts neglect the safety of citizens and road users, paralysing traffic in the vicinity,” the statement said.

Activists threw petrol bombs and bricks on Saturday in the gritty industrial district of Kwun Tong, on the east of the Kowloon peninsula.

The vast majority marched peacefully on Sunday.

‘Last Chance’

M. Sung, a 53-year-old software engineer in a black mask emblematic of the many older, middle-class citizens at the march, said he had been at almost every protest and would keep coming.

“We know this is the last chance to fight for ‘one country, two systems’, otherwise the Chinese Communist Party will penetrate our home city and control everything,” he said.

“If we keep a strong mind, we can sustain this movement for justice and democracy. It won’t die,” Sung said.

Protesters say they are fighting the erosion of the “one country, two systems” arrangement under which the former British colony returned to China in 1997 with the promise of continued freedoms not enjoyed on the mainland.

The protests, which started over a now-suspended extradition bill and evolved into demands for greater democracy, have rocked Hong Kong for three months and plunged the city into its biggest political crisis since the handover.

They also pose a direct challenge for Communist Party leaders in Beijing, who are eager to quell the unrest ahead of the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China on Oct. 1.

Beijing has sent a clear warning that forceful intervention is possible, with paramilitary forces holding drills just over the border.

Transport to the airport appeared normal on Sunday, despite protesters’ plans for a day-long “stress test” of transport in the international aviation and financial hub.

Police said they strongly condemned protesters “breaching public peace” and that 19 men and 10 women had been arrested after Saturday’s violence. More than 700 have been arrested since the demonstrations began in June.

The neighbouring gambling territory of Macau, a former Portuguese colony that returned to Chinese rule in 1999, elected former legislature head Ho Iat Seng as its leader on Sunday – the sole approved candidate.

Ho, who has deep ties to China, is expected to cement Beijing’s control over the “special administrative region”, the same status given to Hong Kong, and distance it from the unrest there.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

At G-7, Trump says he is not happy about North Korea missile tests

Published

on

SAINT-JEAN-DE-LUZ, France — President Donald Trump said Sunday he was not happy after North Korea launched short-range ballistic missiles over the weekend.

“I’m not happy about it but again he’s not in violation of any agreement,” Trump said when asked about the recent string of tests from the North’s Kim Jong Un.

“I discussed long-range ballistic and that he cannot do and he hasn’t been doing it and he hasn’t been doing nuclear testing. He has done short-range, much more standard missiles, a lot of people are testing those missiles, not just him. We are in the world of missiles folks, whether you like it or not,” Trump said.

Meanwhile, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said North Korea’s test was in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

On Saturday, North Korea fired what appeared to be two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea off its east coast, the South Korean military said, the latest in a series of launches in recent weeks amid stalled denuclearization talks.

North Korea, the only nation to have tested nuclear weapons this century, spent most of Trump’s first year in office perfecting its nuclear arsenal. The newest member of the world’s exclusive nuclear weapons club has stopped testing of its nukes for now as the U.S. and international community offer the possibility of relief from crippling economic sanctions.

Under the third-generation North Korean leader, the reclusive state has conducted its most powerful nuclear test, launched its first-ever intercontinental ballistic missile and threatened to send missiles into the waters near the U.S. territory of Guam.

Since 2011, Kim has fired more than 90 missiles and had four nuclear weapons tests, which is more than what his father, Kim Jong Il, and grandfather, Kim Il Sung, launched over a period of 27 years.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending