Connect with us

Latest News

Man, 65, made fake bomb threat to get date with flight attendant | World News

Published

on

A 65-year-old man has admitted making a fake bomb threat in the hope of getting a date with a flight attendant.

The Serbian man’s telephone call caused Lufthansa’s flight LH1411 to be evacuated on Thursday before its take-off from Belgrade to Frankfurt.

All 130 passengers and five crew members had to leave the aircraft while it was searched by a special police squad and sniffer dogs.

The man, who has not been named, had met two flight attendants and invited them for dinner, but they refused.

He confessed to the hoax in court on Saturday, saying he had especially liked one of the women and after he failed to track her down at her hotel, he made a desperate bid to keep her in the country.

The police traced his call after he made the threat and he was arrested a day later.

A spokesman for the prosecutor told Serbian media that the prosecution asked for him to be kept in custody pending charges of causing panic and disorder.

On Thursday, Serbia’s interior ministry released a statement about the incident, which said: “This morning at 6am an unknown person called and reported there was a bomb on the plane bound for Frankfurt.

“The police are investigating whether it is a false alarm and are also working to identify the person who called.”

Passengers had an eight-hour delay to their journey after the hoax, with some booking alternative flights rather than wait for their plane to leave.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Child among 22 migrants rescued from Channel by French authorities | World News

Published

on

French authorities have rescued 22 migrants who got into trouble while trying to cross the Channel.

The group, which included a woman and a child, was found roughly two miles off the coast of Dunkirk at about 1.30am on Sunday.

Authorities were alerted to the migrants’ plight by a ferry just after midnight and sent out search and rescue teams.

They were safely recovered and taken back to Dunkirk on board the RIAS Bee Languedoc.

Earlier this week, Boris Johnson warned migrants not to attempt the Channel crossing, saying: “We will send you back.”

The prime minister said: “Clearly the most important thing is to stop them coming across from France so we are working very closely with the French authorities.

“The point I would just make to people thinking of making this journey – one, it is very hazardous, you may think the weather looks great but it’s a very, very dangerous thing to do.

“The second thing is – we will send you back. The UK should not be regarded as a place where you could automatically come and break the law by seeking to arrive illegally.”

His comments came after dozens of migrants were rescued off the British south coast on Thursday.

One witness told Sky News dozens of people were picked up and taken to Dover, in Kent.

The Home Office confirmed 37 migrants were rescued after four small boats were intercepted.

It said Home Secretary Priti Patel would be raising the issue with her French counterpart.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Five Britons arrested and 100kg of drugs confiscated in Malaga | UK News

Published

on

A British criminal network has been foiled in Spain, with more than 100kg of drugs confiscated. 

Five Britons – three men and two women aged between 38 and 62 – have been arrested in connection with the network by the National Police in Malaga.

Five people were arrested. Pic: Policia Nacional
Image:
Three men and two women have been arrested. Pic: Policia Nacional

Officers said they intercepted 52kg of a mix of marijuana and hash, and 51kg of vacuum-packed marijuana buds.

The police operation also saw the seizure of 23,000 euros (£21,000) in cash.

Drugs were being sent across Europe through couriers based in Malaga, and it is thought they were destined for countries including the UK, Sweden, Poland and Denmark.

The suspects allegedly took steps to avoid police, including frequently changing which vehicles they used and the homes they rented, officers said.

Some of the drugs were destined for the UK. Pic: Policia Nacional
Image:
Some of the drugs were destined for the UK. Pic: Policia Nacional

A long-running police operation saw two parcel shipments intercepted at courier agencies in May, containing 58kg of drugs in seven boxes intended for Sweden, Poland and Denmark.

In subsequent shipments, the last one intercepted earlier in August, three packages containing 17kg of the drugs were prevented from reaching Sweden and the UK, the force said.

Police then carried out home searches once the suspects were identified, with a further 28kg uncovered in the raids.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Hong Kong: Police use water cannon for first time against protesters | World News

Published

on

Hong Kong police have used water cannon against anti-government protesters for the first time during a second straight day of demonstrations.

There have been skirmishes between activists and officers following a pro-democracy march in an area known as the New Territories where tens of thousands took to the streets.

A large crowd then attended a rally in a park but another group of protesters took over a main street, putting up barricades with traffic barriers and cones.

Police tried to disperse them by firing tear gas but protesters reacted by throwing bricks and other objects towards the officers.

The violence came a day after similar clashes in the Kowloon Bay district where authorities arrested 29 people for offences including unlawful assembly, possession of offensive weapons and assaulting police officers.

According to the South China Morning Post, the custom-built French trucks have 15 high-pressure cannons.

Two cannons on the roof can fire more than 1,200 litres of water a minute over a distance of 50 metres. The water can be mixed with tear gas or liquid dye as well.

According to guidelines, the cannons should only be aimed at the lower limbs of the protesters.

An assistant commissioner of police overseeing operations is allowed to authorise deployment of the water cannon after assessing threats.

The trucks arrived in the city in May last year.

More follows…

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending