Connect with us

Latest News

‘Credible evidence’ Saudi crown prince liable for Khashoggi murder – UN expert | World News

Published

on

A UN expert investigating the murder of Jamal Khashoggi says there is “credible evidence” suggesting Saudi Arabia’s crown prince is liable for the killing.

Agnes Callamard, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial executions, has recommended an investigation into the possible role of Mohammed bin Salman in the journalist’s death.

In a 101-page report into Mr Khashoggi’s murder at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last October, Ms Callamard calls for the UN to “demand” a follow-up criminal investigation.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman attends the Future Investment Initiative FII conference in the Saudi capital Riyadh on October 24, 2018. - The summit, nicknamed 'Davos in the desert', has been overshadowed by growing global outrage over the murder of a Saudi journalist inside the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul. (Photo by GIUSEPPE CACACE / AFP) (Photo credit should read GIUSEPPE CACACE/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
Saudi Arabia has denied Mohammed bin Salman was involved in Mr Khashoggi’s death

She noted the “extreme sensitivity” of considering the criminal responsibility of the crown prince, as well as Saud Alqahtani, a senior adviser to the Saudi royal court who has not been charged.

“No conclusion is made as to guilt,” she wrote of the two men.

“The only conclusion made is that there is credible evidence meriting further investigation.”

There was no immediate reaction from Saudi Arabia but the kingdom has regularly denied accusations that the prince was involved.

More from Jamal Khashoggi

Mr Khashoggi, a critic of the prince and a Washington Post columnist, was last seen at the Saudi consulate on 2 October where he was due to receive papers ahead of his wedding.

His body was dismembered and removed from the building, the Saudi prosecutor has said, and his remains have not been found.

Salah Khashoggi, Jamal Khashoggi's son, meets Mohammed Bin Salman. Pic: Saudi Press Association
Image:
Jamal Khashoggi’s son Salah (left) met the crown prince after his father’s death

“It is the conclusion of the special rapporteur that Mr Khashoggi has been the victim of a deliberate, premeditated execution, an extrajudicial killing for which the state of Saudi Arabia is responsible under international human rights law,” Ms Callamard said in her report following a six-month investigation.

She went to Turkey earlier this year with a team of forensic and legal experts and said she received evidence from Turkish authorities.

“There is credible evidence, warranting further investigation of high-level Saudi officials’ individual liability, including the crown prince’s,” she said.

“Indeed, this human rights inquiry has shown that there is sufficient credible evidence regarding the responsibility of the
crown prince demanding further investigation.”

Eleven people are on trial in Saudi Arabia over Mr Khashoggi’s murder in largely secret proceedings, and five could face the death penalty.

More follows…

Source link

Latest News

‘Horrific scene’: Woman ‘decapitates mother’ as four-year-old boy looks on | World News

Published

on

A woman has been charged with murder after allegedly decapitating her mother as a four-year-old relative looked on.

Police did not confirm the nature of the mother’s injuries but Australian media reported she had been beheaded during the incident in the Australian city of Sydney on Saturday night.

Detective Superintendent Brett McFadden described the attack as “up there with one of the most significant, most horrific scenes police have to deal with”, adding that the injuries to the victim “were extensive”.

He said police understood there had been an argument between the woman and her mother, named in Australian media as Rita Camilleri, 57, that had become violent.

Neighbours called police and the mother’s body was found in the home, with multiple injuries.

The daughter was arrested outside the home of a neighbour and the four-year-old boy was taken to hospital with what police said was a minor head injury.

He has since been released.

Police officers who investigated the scene had been offered counselling.

Det Supt McFadden added: “The detectives are now working meticulously through the information available to us, but it’s a very difficult and challenging investigation.

“It is also in its very early stages and as you’d understand there is still a long way to go in this inquiry.”

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted him as saying: “We understand at this stage that a number of knives were used during the course of the incident.

“I am not able to specify what kind of knives they were at this stage.”

The daughter, named in Australian media as Jessica Camilleri, 25, has appeared in court and been referred for a medical assessment.

She told the court that she suffered from mental illness and other medical conditions, adding: “I couldn’t even wash myself properly when I had to shower to get all the blood off”.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

‘Alter your course’: Audio of moment Iranians warn UK-flagged tanker Stena Impero before seizure | World News

Published

on

New audio has been released of both the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and the HMS Montrose giving instructions to a British-flagged tanker before it was “illegally” seized by Tehran.

The Revolutionary Guard can be heard telling the Stena Impero: “If you obey, you will be safe.

“Alter your course 2-3-6-0 degrees immediately, over.”

After that message, the HMS Montrose communicates with the Stena Impero, saying: “This is British warship F236.

“I reiterate, that as you are conducting transit passage in a recognised international strait, under international law your passage must not be impaired, impeded, obstructed or hampered.

“Please confirm you are conducting transit passage in a recognised international strait.”

On Sunday morning, state media in Iran confirmed that all crew members of the Stena Impero were, “safe and in good health in Bandar Abbas port.”

The British-flagged ship’s crew is made up of Indian, Latvian, Filipino and Russian members.









Iranian video of the troops taking control of the Stena Impero on Friday.

On Saturday, the UK said the seizure “constitutes illegal interference”, in a letter to the United Nations Security Council.

The Stena Impero was in Omani territorial waters and was “exercising the lawful right of transit passage in an international strait”, Britain’s UN mission wrote in the letter.



Defence secretary Penny Mordaunt MP said the Iranian seizure of the British-flagged oil tanker as a 'hostile and agressive act'







UK defence sec: ‘This was a hostile act’

The letter comes as the government is reportedly planning to impose sanctions on the Iranian regime in response to the seizure – which has been seen as a major escalation after three months of confrontation.

Latest developments:

  • Audio released of the moment Iran warns the tanker and tells it to “alter” its course.
  • Iranian state media report that the crew are all safe.
  • Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has told his Iranian counterpart he is “extremely concerned” by the seizure. He also warned there will be “serious consequences” if the tanker is not released
  • Iran’s state media has released footage showing the moment the country’s Revolutionary Guard seized the British-flagged ship
  • UK government’s emergency Cobra meeting discussed guaranteeing security of shipping
  • Stena Bulk, which operates Stena Impero, is making a formal request to visit the vessel. The company has been told its crew members are in “good health”
  • The Iran Revolutionary Guard said it managed to bring the Stena Impero to Iranian shores despite “resistance and interference” from a British warship
  • But Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt told Sky News that HMS Montrose was 60 minutes away from being able to help
  • Iranian authorities have said crew members may be interviewed by authorities on “technical matters”
  • Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has called for the British-flagged tanker and its crew to be released – but said all sides must show restraint as escalation risks a “deeper conflict”
  • The European Union has warned the development “brings risks of further escalation”

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt is expected to use a statement in the Commons to announce diplomatic and economic measures – including potential asset freezes – according to The Telegraph.

The UK could push for the UN and the European Union to reimpose sanctions on Iran which had been lifted in 2016 following the nuclear deal.



Foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt MP has been in a Cobra meeting discussing what 'further measures' will be taken







Hunt to Iran: ‘We need that ship released’

Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt earlier described the seizure as a “hostile act”.

But the letter, which was also sent to UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres, said Britain’s priority is to de-escalate and it does “not seek confrontation with Iran”.

However, it added, “it is unacceptable and highly escalatory to threaten shipping going about its legitimate business through internationally recognised transit corridors”.

The UK has called on Iran to release the tanker and told the Security Council it was working to resolve the issue diplomatically.



preview image







Iranian state media released footage of the British-flagged oil tanker detained in the Strait of Hormuz by the Revolutionary Guard.

Iran suggested the seizure was in response to the UK’s role in detaining a tanker carrying Iranian oil earlier this month, despite initially saying the British-flagged tanker was held because it collided with an Iranian fishing boat.

A spokesperson for Iran’s Guardian Council said “the rule of reciprocal action is well-known in international law”.

Iranian state media earlier released footage showing the moment the Stena Impero was seized.

In the footage, armed troops wearing ski masks are seen rappelling onto the ship’s deck from a helicopter hovering overhead.

More follows…

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

<a href='https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-tanker-crisis-requires-decisive-action-or-iran-will-view-uk-as-a-soft-target-11766839' target='_blank'>Tanker crisis requires decisive action or UK will be seen as soft target</a>

Published

on


<a href='https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-tanker-crisis-requires-decisive-action-or-iran-will-view-uk-as-a-soft-target-11766839' target='_blank'>Tanker crisis requires decisive action or UK will be seen as soft target</a>

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending