Connect with us

Latest News

Boy, 5, dies after spreading Ebola to Uganda in first cross-border case of new outbreak | World News

Published

on

A five-year-old boy has died after spreading Ebola to Uganda in the first cross-border case in the latest deadly outbreak of the virus.

The child, who had been vomiting blood, was receiving treatment in western Uganda after his family entered the country from Congo.

He died overnight, according to an official.

Two more cases of Ebola have been detected in Uganda after the family entered the country.

Those with the virus are believed to be relatives of the boy.

The child’s mother had returned to Congo to nurse her father who died of the disease, the health minister said on Tuesday.

The World Health Organisation has confirmed that the boy is the first Ebola case outside Congo since the latest outbreak began in August 2018.

Nearly 1,400 people have died in what has become the second-deadliest outbreak of the virus in history.

Authorities in Congo are trying to determine how the boy’s family, who were exposed to the Ebola, managed to cross into Uganda.

Congo’s health ministry has said dozens of members of the family had showed symptoms of the virus and were put in isolation.

But six managed to leave while awaiting transfer to an Ebola treatment centre.

The boy and his family have been isolated and are being treated in Uganda
Image:
The boy’s family have been isolated and are being treated in Uganda

Authorities say they entered Uganda where they have since been isolated.

Experts have long-feared the virus could spread to neighbouring countries because of unrest hampering response work in Congo, one of the world’s most unstable regions.

Ebola can spread quickly via close contact with bodily fluids of those infected and can be fatal in up to 90% of cases.

Henry Mwebesa, a physician and the national director of health services in Uganda, has said health teams “are not panicking”.

He added that the virus in Uganda “is not going to go beyond” the patient’s family.

The Congolese family are not likely to have passed through official border points, where health workers screen all travellers for a high temperature and isolate those who show signs of illness.

Uganda is more stable than eastern Congo and for the first time an experimental but effective Ebola vaccine is being widely used, with more than 130,000 doses distributed.

Ebola has been especially feared in the country, where multiple outbreaks have occurred over the years.

An outbreak in the north in 2000 infected 425 people and killed more than half of them.

Medical staff dress in protective clothing for a weekly rehearsal in Uganda in December 2018
Image:
Medical staff dress in protective clothing for a weekly rehearsal in Uganda in December 2018

It comes as Texas health officials said there were no “suspected or confirmed cases” of Ebola in the state.

Social media posts falsely suggested the virus had arrived in Texas with immigrants arriving from Africa, including Congo, where the outbreak has surpassed 2,000 cases.

The false claims, ranging from there is an Ebola “outbreak” in Texas to reports of a few confirmed cases, have been circulating since April.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Flight MH17: Four charged with murder over downing of Malaysia Airlines jet | World News

Published

on

Four men have been charged with murder over the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, which killed 298 passengers and crew.

Almost five years after the Boeing 777 jet was shot down above eastern Ukraine on 17 July 2014, an international team of investigators announced that three Russians and a Ukrainian were to be “held accountable” for transporting the missile system used to its launch site.

The three Russians were named as former Igor Girkin, 48, Sergey Dubinskiy, 56, and Oleg Pulatov, 52, while the other man was identified as 47-year-old Leonid Kharchenko.

Part of the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 at the crash site in the village of Hrabove (Grabovo), some 80km east of Donetsk
Image:
Part of the Flight MH17 at the crash site in the village of Hrabove, some 80km east of Donetsk

Girkin is a former colonel of the FSB, the Russian security service, Dubinskiy was once employed by GRU, the Russian military intelligence service, and Pulatov is an ex-soldier of the Spetznaz, the GRU special forces. Kharchenko is the only suspect with no military background.

The international team of detectives and prosecutors investigating the crash said the men had “co-operated closely” to obtain the weaponry – a 9M38 variant of the Buk missile system used by Russia – and position it in advance of it striking the passenger plane, which was heading from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Speaking at a news conference at The Hague, Dutch police chief Wilbert Paulissen said their murder trial would begin at the same court on 9 March 2020 – although the men are unlikely to appear as their countries do not recognise extradition requests and are unlikely to co-operate with the investigation.

Chief prosecutor Fred Westerbeke said the failure by Russia to aid the investigation was a “slap in the face” to the families of those who died.

“We have established that there has been involvement of the Russian Federation because they made available the missile that was used to shoot down MH17,” he said.

“The Russian federation has not disclosed anything that happened and that is a slap in the face for all the relatives of the victims, and I call out to them to start co-operating.”

MH17
Image:
The plane was heading to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday that Moscow did not trust the investigation, but claimed that there had been a willingness to help.

He told reporters ahead of the news conference: “Russia was unable to take part in the investigation despite an interest right from the start and trying to join in.”

A pro-Russian separatist stands at the crash site of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, near the village of Hrabove (Grabovo) in Donetsk region, Ukraine
Image:
Potential suspects include rebel forces in the area

Relatives of the victims were briefed on the updates provided in the news conference beforehand.

Silene Fredriksz-Hoogzand, whose son Bryce and his girlfriend Daisy Oehlers were among those killed, hailed the charges for the four suspects as a “good start”.

She said: “This is what we hoped for. This is a start of it. It is a good start.”

Mr Paulissen said more suspects could be identified at a later date, including those “higher up the chain of command”, but added that there is not yet sufficient evidence to do so.

More follows…

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Girl, 10, is youngest person to climb 7,500ft El Capitan | US News

Published

on

A 10-year-old girl has made rock climbing history by becoming the youngest person on record to scale Yosemite’s iconic El Capitan.

Selah Schneiter, from Colorado, climbed the 7,500ft (1,100 metre) route – known as The Nose – over five days with her father Mike, an experienced climber, and a family friend.

She reached the summit on 12 June after using a rope climbing technique known as jumaring to tackle the famously steep rock formation.

After reaching the top of the granite monolith in central California, Selah celebrated her feat with a pizza.

Image:
The 10-year-old used a rope climbing technique known as jumaring

“I just can’t believe I just did that,” she said in a video captured after her impressive achievement.

“Our big motto was ‘How do you eat an elephant?’ Small bites. One pitch at a time, one move at a time, one day at a time,” she told KFSN in Fresno.

Few adults can say they have successfully reached El Capitan’s zenith, with many experienced climbers considering The Nose to be the most iconic big-wall climb in the world.

Saleh’s father said she was in shock on reaching the peak.

Revealing she broke down in tears, Mr Schneiter said: “She said it was her first happy tears she’s ever had.

“We were tired after a long five days and camped out that night, but she was like a little kid again and wanted to check everything out, exploring almost like it was nothing.”

He said they spent time on ledges throughout the climb “just relaxing… talking about the world… talking about life”.

El Capitan is a vertical rock formation in Yosemite National Park
Image:
El Capitan is a vertical rock formation in Yosemite National Park

Selah comes from a family of hiking enthusiasts who have developed a special connection to Yosemite’s trails.

Mr Schneiter, a climbing instructor, claims to have met his daughter’s mother, Joy, while hiking in the region years prior.

Selah is now encouraging her seven-year-old brother to follow in her footsteps.

In 2017, American rock climber Alex Honnold became the first person to scale El Capitan without ropes or safety equipment.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Mines used in tanker attacks 'strikingly' like Iran's, US says

Published

on


Pieces of mines recovered after attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman “strikingly” resemble Iranian mines, the US navy has said.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending