Artists are challenging Facebook’s policy of refusing to take down videos which have been manipulated to misrepresent their subjects by creating one about Mark Zuckerberg.
The stunt follows criticism of Facebook for refusing to remove a video of US Democratic politician Nancy Pelosi, a prominent critic of President Donald Trump, which had been slowed down to make her appear inebriated.
Artists Bill Posters and Daniel Howe, working with an advertising company, created the video featuring Facebook’s founder and chief executive giving a speech about his desire to control the world’s data.
The so-called “deepfake” speech features the Facebook founder appearing to revel in knowing social media users’ “secrets” before thanking the artists behind the clip.
“Imagine this for a second: One man, with total control of billions of people’s stolen data,” Mr Zuckerberg appears to say.
“All their secrets, their lives, their futures. I owe it all to Spectre. Spectre showed me that whoever controls the data, controls the future.”
As in many manipulated videos which use artificial intelligence software to manipulate the frames of an existing video to change someone’s appearance, there are strange movements around Mr Zuckerberg’s mouth which give the game away.
Journalists who check the origin of such footage can see that it is a doctored version of a speech which Mr Zuckerberg gave in September 2017, fittingly about manipulation on Facebook during the US presidential election.
The video was created, alongside others featuring Kim Kardashian and Donald Trump, by advertising company CannyAI’s video dialogue replacement (VDR) technology for an exhibition in Sheffield.
Although it is possible to detect the VDR technology in the clip of Mark Zuckerberg, the Kim Kardashian clip is exceptionally convincing.
The sophistication of the technology is expected to improve with time which has prompted concerns that it will be used to spread fake news and disinformation.
At the time Ms Pelosi’s altered video was spreading online – amplified by a tweet from Donald Trump – critics noted that Facebook was alone among social media companies refusing to take it down.
Instead the company merely de-prioritised it so that it did not appear high in users’ news feeds, and was presented alongside information from third-party fact checkers.
Currently no such information appears alongside the Mark Zuckerberg video, but it may be coming if the video gains traction.
A spokesperson for Instagram told Sky News they would not be removing the video.
They said: “We will treat this content the same way we treat all misinformation on Instagram. If third-party fact-checkers mark it as false, we will filter it from Instagram’s recommendation surfaces like Explore and hashtag pages.”
New Zealand: Prime minister Jacinda Ardern unrattled as earthquake hits during live TV interview | World News
An earthquake that struck near New Zealand’s capital had people diving for cover – but not prime minister Jacinda Ardern who continued with a live TV interview.
The 5.8 magnitude earthquake on Monday morning was 23 miles (37km) deep and the epicentre was 18.6m (30km) northwest of Levin, a city in the country’s North Island close to the capital Wellington, according to GeoNet.
It lasted for more than 30 seconds and no damage was reported but it caused panic in Wellington as people in offices and homes rushed for cover under tables.
Prime minister Jacinda Ardern was being interviewed live on TV from the parliament building, called the beehive, when the tremors started.
The camera could be seen shaking as the PM looked to the ceiling and said: “We’re just having an earthquake here, Ryan.
“Quite a decent shake here if you see things moving behind me.
“The beehive moves a little more than most.”
When asked whether she was safe and if she was alright to carry on, Ms Ardern said: “Yes, no, it’s just stopped.
“No, we’re fine, I’m not under any hanging lights and I look like I’m in a structurally sound place.”
After finding out the strength of the earthquake, she later said it was “not an unreasonable shake”.
More than 36,800 people reported feeling the tremor to GeoNet, New Zealand’s geological hazard information unit.
The unit said there were 40 aftershocks to Monday’s quake, ranging from 1.7 to 4 magnitude.
Wellington’s emergency services said there were no immediate reports of damage, while all trains in the city were suspended as engineers assessed the impact.
New Zealanders are fairly used to tremors as the country’s islands lie on the “Ring of Fire”, a 24,855m (40,000km) series of volcanoes and ocean trenches in the Pacific Ocean.
The city of Christchurch is still recovering from a 6.3 magnitude quake in 2011 that killed 185 people.
In 2016, the South Island town of Kaikoura was hit by a 7.8 magnitude tremor, killing two and causing billions of dollars worth of damage, including in Wellington.
Benjamin Netanyahu: Israeli PM in court accused of fraud, breach of trust and bribery | World News
A defiant Israeli prime minister has appeared in court for the first day of his corruption trial claiming that he is the victim of a conspiracy by media, police, prosecutors and judges to oust him.
In a televised statement made just before he entered the courtroom, Benjamin Netanyahu accused police and prosecutors of conspiring to “depose” him.
“The objective is to depose a strong, right-wing prime minister, and thus remove the nationalist camp from the leadership of the country for many years,” he said.
It was the opening day of a trial which could last years and marks a historic moment for Israel.
Mr Netanyahu is the first sitting Israeli leader ever to go on trial. He is accused of fraud and breach of trust in two cases and bribery, fraud and breach of trust in a third case. He denies all the charges.
The three cases against him – Case 1000, Case 2000 and Case 4000 – centre around his relationships with businessmen, media tycoons and a leading Israeli telecoms firm.
Since the charges were first brought against him by police investigators in December 2018, he has sought to avoid prosecution and the spectacle of appearing in the dock, calling the whole process an “attempted coup”.
“They are not after the truth. They are after me,” he said. “[It is a] terror attack against Israeli democracy.”
When the charges were formally announced last year, Israel’s Attorney General said he brought them “with a heavy heart – but wholeheartedly”.
“It is not an issue of left wing or right. Enforcing the law isn’t a matter of choice,” Avichai Mandelblit said.
An attempt by Mr Netanyahu to secure parliamentary immunity from prosecution last year failed. The trial was then delayed by two months in March because of coronavirus restrictions.
Last week he argued, unsuccessfully, that attending today was unnecessary, costly and would violate social distancing rules.
The trial has hung over him through three election campaigns, none of which he managed to win outright.
This month the country’s political deadlock was finally broken with the formation of a coalition government deal in which his political rival, Benny Gantz, will take over as Prime Minister in 18 months’ time.
By law, a sitting Prime Minister does not have to resign until a final conviction and all appeals have been exhausted and this trial could go on for years. There are 333 prosecution witnesses.
A clause in the coalition agreement means even after Mr Netanyahu hands over power to Mr Gantz in 18 months, he is still not required to resign while on trial because of his position as the “alternate” Prime Minister.
In the courtroom on the first day, Mr Netanyahu and his co-defendants listened to charges against them. Defendants can enter plea bargain at any point before verdict.
Speaking outside court, Anshel Pfeffer, author of Bibi: The Turbulent Life and Times of Benjamin Netanyahu, told Sky News: “This is certainly a pivotal moment in his life.
“For four years, the investigation has been going on very slowly and finally we have reached the moment when he actually has to sit down in court,” Mr Pfeffer said.
“We saw a very telling moment as he went in. For 50 minutes it was the judges and the prosecutors who were in charge of the proceedings. This was a very different Netanyahu sitting on his own on the defendants’ bench doing what he was told. It was a metamorphosis for Netanyahu.”
As a renowned and extraordinary political survivor, many expect Mr Netanyahu, “the magician”, to conjure up some surprises.
His lawyers complained to the judges that the investigation documents were not presented to them in time. The same complaint was made by the lawyers of the other defendants.
🇮🇱 History will be made in Israel today as Prime Minister @netanyahu walks into Jerusalem’s District Court to become the country’s first sitting leader to go on trial.
3 years of investigations, 3 separate cases & 3 elections. A witch-hunt says the PM; an attempted coup. pic.twitter.com/vvSI0DOTkG
— Mark Stone (@Stone_SkyNews) May 24, 2020
The three cases against Mr Netanyahu are:
Case 1000 – The Gifts Affair: Fraud & breach of trust. It is alleged that Mr Netanyahu received luxury goods including champagne and cigars totalling the equivalent of £162,000 from two businessmen over a continuous period amounting to a “supply channel”. It is alleged that the prime minister “acted for the benefit” of businessmen. He insists gifts were “tokens of friendship” and that he did not act inappropriately.
Case 2000 – The Media Affair: Fraud & breach of trust. It is alleged that Mr Netanyahu held several meetings with Arnon Mozes, controlling shareholder of the Yedioth Ahronoth media group. It is claimed that they discussed promoting their common interests: favourable coverage in return for restrictions of rival paper. Both men deny wrongdoing.
Case 4000 – The Bezeq Affair: Bribary, fraud & breach of trust. It is alleged that there was a “reciprocal arrangement” between Mr Netanyahu and Shaul Elovitch, controlling shareholder in Bezeq, a leading Israeli telecoms firm. It is alleged that the prime minister was involved in the promotion of regulatory decisions that favoured Bezeq.
Proceedings will continue on 19 July in a trial which could last several years.
Western Australia battered by ‘once-in-a-decade’ storm | World News
Western Australia has been hit by the biggest storm in a decade, leaving around 50,000 homes and businesses without power as it brought wind gusts of more than 60 miles per hour.
Conditions were expected to worsen overnight as the severe storm progressed, officials said.
Jon Broomhall, acting assistant commissioner of Western Australia’s department of fire and emergency services, described the storm as a “a once-in-a-decade-type system”.
Prepare for an unusually widespread severe weather event along the west coast. Heavy rain and very gusty winds likely with dangerous surf and storm tides. By Sun night, severe weather will be confined to the SW of WA, easing during Mon. Latest warnings – https://t.co/X0UmpCmgQa pic.twitter.com/H8lTPQiTD7
— Bureau of Meteorology, Western Australia (@BOM_WA) May 23, 2020
He added: “Normally our storms come from the south-west, and this will come from the north-west, so it will test people’s buildings, sheds and all those unsecured items, so we’re asking people to secure property and make sure everything loose is tied down.”
A Bureau of Meteorology official, James Ashley, said the weather formation was “dynamic and complex”, adding the storm is a result of a system from Cyclone Mangga in the southern Indian Ocean interacting with a cold front.
The bureau warned people to prepare for “an unusually widespread severe weather event along the west coast”, adding that “heavy rain and very gusty winds likely with dangerous surf and storm tides”.
Electricity supply to around 37,000 homes and businesses was impacted in the Perth metropolitan area, with some households told to expect to remain without electricity overnight, particularly in places where it was not safe for crews to repair the network.
The worst of the storm was due to hit Perth later on Sunday evening and Monday morning, with forecasters warning it would not ease until Monday afternoon.
Mr Ashley added: “In a broad area, the south-west of the state will be hit really severely overnight, tonight and into tomorrow.”
“Really quite severe conditions will still be experienced in Perth tomorrow morning.”
Damage was reported to buildings, homes, fences, electricity infrastructure and trees across Perth as the storm front moved south.
Brexit betrayal: Liz Truss under fire in latest move to secure US trade deal
How Dominic Cummings was saved by the government using THESE defences
New Zealand: Prime minister Jacinda Ardern unrattled as earthquake hits during live TV interview | World News
Sequoia, Lightspeed India on startup outlook during coronavirus
Asia set to open higher as China’s annual parliament meeting continues
Former U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair questions Trump’s coronavirus strategy
'Beyond audacious!' UK accused of 'fanciful demands' in EU talks – trade deal at risk
Trump’s Michigan voter fraud comments reveal America’s desperate need for reforms
Trump gutted the checks on his power when they were most needed
Trump suspends travel from Brazil as coronavirus pandemic worsens in South America
Latest News3 days ago
Pakistan International Airlines plane with 107 people on board crashes in Karachi | World News
World2 days ago
Chinese companies added to U.S. blacklist in latest Beijing rebuke
Politics6 days ago
Fearing Trump’s green card policy, families with immigrants may opt out of coronavirus care
World6 days ago
How Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam contain the coronavirus outbreak
Latest News6 days ago
Coronavirus: Boost for holidaymakers as ‘air bridges’ plan backed by government | Politics News
World1 week ago
Stock futures up after Fed’s Powell says economy could recover later in 2020
World7 days ago
Alibaba’s Jack Ma quits SoftBank board after huge Vision Fund losses
World3 days ago
Tesla HR tells production workforce it’s back to ‘normal operations’