Connect with us

World

Huawei exec accused of stealing trade secrets from chip company CNEX

Published

on

Chinese President Xi Jinping is shown around the offices of Chinese tech firm Huawei technologies by its President Ren Zhengfei in London during his state visit in 2015.

Matthew Lloyd | AFP | Getty Images

CNEX, a microchip company backed by Microsoft and Dell, has filed new allegations in a Texas lawsuit accusing Chinese tech giant Huawei and one of its executives of stealing trade secrets.

It’s the latest filing in a suit set to go to trial June 3. CNEX claims that Huawei spent years trying to steal its data storage secrets, while Huawei has countered with its own suit, filed earlier this month, alleging CNEX is the one that’s been engaged in theft of trade secrets. Both companies have denied wrongdoing.

A Huawei spokesman called reports of CNEX’s newest claims “misleading” and the allegations “unsubstantiated.”

On Thursday, a Huawei spokesman said the company’s recent filing against CNEX stems from a 2017 action 

The case comes as Huawei finds itself at the center of controversy in the U.S. The company, which makes computer networking equipment, is now subject to a “blacklisting” ban by the Trump administration, and faces criminal actions, including a federal trade secrets case in the state of Washington and allegations of fraud against its CFO, who is currently awaiting an extradition hearing in Vancouver.

CNEX has alleged that a Huawei deputy chairman, Eric Xu, directed an employee to pose as a potential customer and submit a report on his findings in order to obtain trade secrets for the company’s chip research and development department.

CNEX also claims Huawei had ties with China’s Xiamen University, and misappropriated trade secrets through that relationship.

Huawei’s concurrent action against CNEX stems from a 2017 trade secrets theft case involving one of CNEX’s founders, Yiren Huang, who now serves as the company’s CTO. Huawei says Huang, a former employee, stole trade secrets and used them to form CNEX. “Huawei looks forward to pressing our claims against CNEX and Mr. Huang at trial,” a Huawei spokesman said via email.

WATCH: Judge gave China, Huawei a ‘gift’ in Qualcomm ruling, says expert

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Analysts on Shanghai’s new Nasdaq-style STAR tech board

Published

on

People take pictures during an opening ceremony of the Shanghai Stock Exchange’s Sci-Tech Innovation Board in Shanghai on July 22, 2019.

STR | AFP | Getty Images

The first tranche of companies on China’s new Nasdaq-style tech board started trading on Monday, with all the stocks seeing gains on their public debut.

Still, some are cautioning against jumping quickly into the action.

“I think this market, it needs to … basically take a little bit of patience to develop,” Eugene Qian, president of UBS Securities, told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on Monday.

“For anything new in China, there is a tendency for retail-oriented markets like China to overly speculate,” Qian said, adding that this would contribute to a “short-term bubble” that may not be sustainable.

The new technology board — the Science and Technology Innovation Board, or “STAR Market,” which is operated by the Shanghai Stock Exchange — comes as China attempts to address investor concerns about market volatility and the lack of governance.

It’s easier for firms to go public in the new STAR Market tech board, compared to listing on the Shanghai A-share market, as companies need to go through a registration instead of waiting for regulatory approval which could take longer.

“I think a lot of people are going to really be behind this,” Gareth Nicholson, head of fixed income at Bank of Singapore, told CNBC on Monday. “This is gonna be pretty wild.”

‘Focus on individual companies’

Prior to their public debut, initial public offerings on the STAR Market saw an average over-subscription of about 1,700 times among retail investors, Reuters reported. In the first five days of a company’s listing, no daily price limits will be placed. But after that period, a stock will be allowed to trade within a 20% range.

In comparison, listings elsewhere in China are subjected to a gain cap of 44% on their debut and limited to a 10% gain or loss thereafter.

J.P. Morgan’s Chief China Economist and Head of China Equity Strategy, Haibin Zhu, urged investors to “focus on individual companies.”

“You need to focus on the sector and the company itself, and make sure that they have decent or stable earnings outlook,” Zhu told CNBC’s “Street Signs” on Monday.

With the new stock board primarily aimed at domestic investors, opportunities for foreign participation will be minimal for now.

UBS Securities’ Qian said foreign investors are likely to watch “with a lot of interest” but will likely “wait a little bit out.”

Many of the stocks listed on the new tech board are similar to those on the Chinext in Shenzhen, which is already included by MSCI in its indexes, Qian said.

“I think there will be opportunities for long-term, value-driven … international investors later on,” he said.

Looking ahead, the Shanghai Stock Exchange said an index tracking the STAR Market will be launched on the 11th trading day following the debut of the 30th company on the board.

— CNBC’s Evelyn Cheng, Yen Nee Lee and Reuters contributed to this report.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

Australia grounds Mahindra’s GA8 planes after Swedish crash

Published

on

The Airvan 8 utility aircraft manufactured by Mahindra Aerospace stands on display in front of the company’s booth in Geelong, Australia, on Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2015.

Mark Dadswell | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Australia’s air safety regulator has grounded operations of a small aircraft manufactured by Mahindra Aerospace for up to 15 days following a crash in Sweden that killed nine people earlier this month.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) said it had suspended operations of all GippsAero GA8 planes in Australia and all Australian-registered GA8 planes flying overseas from July 20 through Aug 3.

The GA8 single-engine aircraft, built in Australia by GippsAero, is typically used for skydiving, tourism, air patrols, medical evacuations and humanitarian missions in remote locations, according to Mahindra Aerospace’s website.

There are 228 GA8 planes worldwide, 63 of which are registered in Australia, CASA said.

Mahindra Aerospace, a unit of India’s Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd, said CASA’s move was precautionary during the preliminary investigation in Sweden, with which GippsAero was cooperating.

“The preliminary investigation has not identified the root cause of the incident,” GippsAero Chief Executive Keith Douglas said in an emailed statement.

Nine Swedes were killed when a GA8, dubbed the Airvan 8, crashed during a skydiving trip near Umea in northern Sweden on July 14.

CASA said it has been working closely with Swedish authorities and the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), which has also issued an emergency directive to European GA8 aircraft owners and operators to suspend operations except for ferry flights.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

Cambodia denies deal to allow armed Chinese forces at its naval base

Published

on

China’s Defence Minister Wei Fenghe (right) shakes hands with Cambodia’s Defence Minister Tea Banh during a visit to a military exhibition in Phnom Penh on June 19, 2018.

Tang Chhin Sothy | AFP | Getty Images

China will be able to place armed forces at a Cambodian naval base under a secret agreement the two nations have reached, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday, although Cambodian officials denied such a deal had been struck.

The agreement, reached this spring but not made public, gives China exclusive access to part of Cambodia’s Ream Naval Base on the Gulf of Thailand, the Journal reported, citing U.S. and allied officials familiar with the matter.

Such an arrangement would give China an enhanced ability to assert contested territorial claims and economic interests in the South China Sea, challenging U.S. allies in Southeast Asia. Chinese and Cambodian officials denied such an agreement existed, according to the Journal.

“This is the worst-ever made up news against Cambodia,” Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen told the pro-government news site Fresh News on Monday.

“No such thing could happen because hosting foreign military bases is against the Cambodian constitution,” he said.

Cambodian defense ministry spokesman Chhum Socheat told Reuters the report was “made up and baseless”.

China, Hun Sen’s strongest regional ally, has poured billions of dollars in development assistance and loans into Cambodia through bilateral frameworks and China’s Belt and Road initiative.

The initiative, unveiled by Chinese President Xi Jinping in 2013, aims to bolster a sprawling network of land and sea links with Southeast Asia, Central Asia, the Middle East, Europe and Africa.

It has attracted a flood of Chinese commercial ventures in Cambodia, including casinos and special economic zones.

The U.S. Defense Department suggested earlier this month China may be attempting to gain a military foothold in Cambodia in a letter to Cambodia asking why the nation had turned down an offer to repair a naval base.

The State Department urged Cambodia in a statement to reject such an arrangement, saying the nation had a “constitutional commitment to its people to pursue an independent foreign policy.”

“We are concerned that any steps by the Cambodian government to invite a foreign military presence in Cambodia would threaten the coherence and centrality of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in coordinating regional developments, and disturb peace and stability in Southeast Asia,” the statement said.

Cambodia denied reports last November that Beijing had been lobbying the Southeast Asian country since 2017 for a naval base that could host frigates, destroyers and other vessels of China’s People’s Liberation Army Navy.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending