Connect with us

Latest News

Seventeen people killed and more injured in fire at New Delhi hotel | World News

Published

on

Seventeen people have been killed in a fire at a hotel in western New Delhi and at least four others are injured, police said.

The blaze at the Arpit Palace Hotel has been extinguished and authorities are investigating what caused it.

“We have to check the stability of the structure, check every room,” deputy police commissioner Mandeep Singh Randhawa said.

Twenty-five fire engines responded to the fire, which had engulfed every floor of the five-story hotel but the ground floor, fire officer Vijay Paul said.

Around three dozen people were evacuated from the hotel and the injured were taken to local hospitals.

Delhi fire
Image:
The hotel is located in Karol Bagh, which is popular with tourists

The hotel is located in Karol Bagh, an area full of shops and budget hotels that is popular with tourists in India’s capital.

Most of the victims were sleeping when the fire broke out, which is believed to have been caused by a short circuit, Reuters reported.

The fire may raise fresh questions about safety standards in poorly regulated budget hotels.

Frequent raids by civic authorities to enforce building codes and fire safety measures have failed to curb violations in the rapidly expanding city of more than 18 million people.

More follows…

Source link

Latest News

Hong Kong: Tear gas fired as police and protesters clash | World News

Published

on

Police in Hong Kong have fired tear gas to disperse pro-democracy protesters – hours after a largely peaceful rally against a now-suspended extradition bill.

Officers are reported to have thrown gas canisters at campaigners after they refused to leave the area.

Organisers of a march, to call for an independent investigation into police tactics used during earlier demonstrations, say around 430,000 people took part.

Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators took to the streets on Sunday
Image:
Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators took to the streets on Sunday

More follows…

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

New Zealanders hand back 10,000 weapons in amnesty after mosque attacks | World News

Published

on

New Zealanders have handed in more than 10,000 guns, weapons and accessories during the first week of an amnesty buy-back scheme.

The campaign, which was launched last week, came after the country’s worst peace-time mass shooting in March, when a gunman walked into two mosques in Christchurch and killed 51 people.

Laws passed in April banned most semi-automatic weapons, parts that convert guns into semi-automatic weapons, and magazines over a certain capacity.

CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND - JULY 13: Gun owners hand in their firearms at Riccarton Racecourse on July 13, 2019 in Christchurch, New Zealand. It is the first firearms collection event to be held in New Zealand following changes to gun laws, providing firearms owners the initial opportunity of many to hand-in prohibited firearms for buy-back and amnesty. The Christchurch event is one of 258 events that will run across the country over the next three months.The NZ Government will pay owners between 25 per cent and 95 per cent of a set base price, depending on condition. It will also compensate dealers and pay for some weapons to be modified to make them legal. The amnesty ends on December 20. (Photo by Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images)
Image:
There were amnesty events across the country on Sunday

Some shotguns were also banned.

More than 2,000 people have surrendered 3,275 guns and 7,827 parts, and in return they been paid more than NZ$6m (£3.25m) to compensate them.

Gun owners have until December to hand back their weapons, with the government setting aside NZ$208m (£112m) to pay owners up to 95% of the original cost.

New Zealand police said they were pleased with the turnout of those handing back weapons on Sunday, after 684 people surrendered nearly 5,000 weapons and parts at events across the country.

Police superintendent Karyn Malthus said in Auckland hundreds of firearms had been handed in, adding: “The feedback from firearms owners at the event has been very positive.”

Local media reported that a proposed Gun City megastore was facing a backlash earlier in the week in Christchurch, due to the events in March which led more than 50 people dying.



New Zealand will ban military style semi-automatic and assault rifles under tough new gun laws following the killing of 50 people.







PM Jacinda Ardern: New Zealand bans military-style guns after attack

Brenton Tarrant, the man accused of the terror attack, bought four weapons, as well as ammunition at the Gun City online store in the early part of 2018.

Tarrant has pleaded not guilty to 92 charges over the attacks, including the first-ever charge of terrorism in the country.

According to the Small Arms Survey, New Zealand ranks 17th in the world in terms of civilian gun ownership, with 1.5 million firearms owned by a population of just under five million people.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Nine injured as 1,000 firefighters battle wildfires in Portugal | World News

Published

on

About 1,000 firefighters are tackling wildfires spreading in east Portugal, which have injured at least nine people.

Portugal’s Civil Protection Authority said firefighters were working to contain the blazes, which broke out on Saturday across three fronts in the district of Castelo Branco, 124 miles (200km) north east of the capital Lisbon.

Authorities said one injured civilian was taken to hospital and firefighters were being supported by 10 firefighting aircraft as well as hundreds of vehicles.

A villager holds a hose as a wildfire comes close to his house at Amendoa in Macao, central Portugal on July 21, 2019. - More than a thousand firefighters battled to control wildfires in central Portugal that have forced village evacuations, in a region where dozens were killed in huge blazes in 2017. The firefighters were deployed to tackle three fires in the mountainous and heavily forested Castelo Branco region, 200 kilometres north of Lisbon, according to the website of the Civil Protection. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)        (Photo credit should read PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
Villagers have tried to keep the flames away from their homes
A firefighters tackles a wildfire at Amendoa in Macao, central Portugal on July 21, 2019. - More than a thousand firefighters battled to control wildfires in central Portugal that have forced village evacuations, in a region where dozens were killed in huge blazes in 2017. The firefighters were deployed to tackle three fires in the mountainous and heavily forested Castelo Branco region, 200 kilometres north of Lisbon, according to the website of the Civil Protection. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)        (Photo credit should read PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
A firefighter tackles a wildfire at Amendoa in Macao

The other injured people have all been firefighters.

Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, the Portuguese president, said he would be in contact with the mayors in the affected areas.

A statement on the presidential website said: “Aware of adverse weather conditions, the President of the Republic conveys all solidarity to the men and women who fight them, as well as to the most directly affected populations, accompanied by all the Portuguese.”

Strong winds have made it more difficult for firefighters to tackle the blaze, but authorities said they hoped to have them under control soon.

One village had to be partially evacuated as a precaution.

One wildfire made its way to Macao, an area in the district of Santarum, in western Portugal where temperatures are expected to reach 34C (93.2F) on Sunday.

A firefighter monitors the progression of a wildfire at Amendoa in Macao, central Portugal on July 21, 2019. - More than a thousand firefighters battled to control wildfires in central Portugal that have forced village evacuations, in a region where dozens were killed in huge blazes in 2017. The firefighters were deployed to tackle three fires in the mountainous and heavily forested Castelo Branco region, 200 kilometres north of Lisbon, according to the website of the Civil Protection. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)        (Photo credit should read PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
So far eight firefighters have been injured
A villager tries to put out the fire as it gets close to his house at Amendoa in Macao, central Portugal on July 21, 2019. - More than a thousand firefighters battled to control wildfires in central Portugal that have forced village evacuations, in a region where dozens were killed in huge blazes in 2017. The firefighters were deployed to tackle three fires in the mountainous and heavily forested Castelo Branco region, 200 kilometres north of Lisbon, according to the website of the Civil Protection. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)        (Photo credit should read PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
A villagers throws water on the fire as flames creep toward his home

One resident said: “The wildfire came with force. We [the residents] had to fight the flames.”

He said there were not enough firefighters, a worry echoed by Ricardo Aires, the mayor of Vila de Rei which has been affected.

The army is sending 20 soldiers and four bulldozers to help with the operation.

A villages holds a hose as a wildfire comes close to his house at Amendoa in Macao, central Portugal on July 21, 2019. - More than a thousand firefighters battled to control wildfires in central Portugal that have forced village evacuations, in a region where dozens were killed in huge blazes in 2017. The firefighters were deployed to tackle three fires in the mountainous and heavily forested Castelo Branco region, 200 kilometres north of Lisbon, according to the website of the Civil Protection. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)        (Photo credit should read PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
There have been no wildfire deaths since 2017
A firefighter tackles a wildfire at Amendoa in Macao, central Portugal on July 21, 2019. - More than a thousand firefighters battled to control wildfires in central Portugal that have forced village evacuations, in a region where dozens were killed in huge blazes in 2017. The firefighters were deployed to tackle three fires in the mountainous and heavily forested Castelo Branco region, 200 kilometres north of Lisbon, according to the website of the Civil Protection. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)        (Photo credit should read PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
The fires broke out on Saturday night

This is the first major wildfire in Portugal this year.

In 2017, 106 people were killed in some of the country’s deadliest fires on record.

The Portuguese government backed stronger firefighting prevention methods after the heavy death toll of that year and there were no wildfire deaths in 2018.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending