Connect with us

Latest News

Insect species could fall by 40%, causing ‘catastrophic collapse’ of world’s ecosytems | World News

Published

on

Dramatic declines in insect numbers could see 40% of species die out in the “largest extinction event on Earth” for millions of years.

Scientists have warned of a “catastrophic collapse of nature’s ecosystems” if numbers continue to decline, as insects are key to many of the world’s natural systems and wildlife chains.

Insects provide a food source to other wildlife such as birds and mammals, and are also important for pollinating plants and recycling nutrients.

Researchers say the agricultural industry is largely to blame for declining populations, with destruction of habitat and the widespread use of pesticides having a major impact.

AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND - MAY 27: A Great Tit pauses on a fence with an insect in its beak to feed its young, May 27, 2004 in Ayrshire, Scotland. The Royal Society For The Protection Of birds is encouraging Britons across the country to take part in an insect census to monitor numbers and species. The results will be used to calculate likely impact on the indigenous bird populations. (Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)
Image:
Many birds rely on insects for food

Other factors include disease and introduced species, as well as climate change, with rising temperatures affecting the range of places insects can live.

The Earth is currently facing its sixth mass extinction, according to another study published in the peer-reviewed journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The report found billions of animal species have been lost over the last few decades in a “biological annihilation” of wildlife.

Insect numbers are declining by 2.5% each year and a third of species are endangered, meaning many face extinction by the end of the century.

Bees are among the most affected by declining populations
Image:
Bees are among the most affected by declining populations

They currently make up more than half of the world’s species, but research shows they are disappearing much faster than birds and mammals.

The latest study, published in the journal Biological Conservation, found butterflies, bees and dung beetles were among the worst hit.

This not only affected “specialist” species which rely on particular host plants or habitats, but more hardy types as well.

Scientists say urgent action is needed to prevent the mass extinction.

The study’s authors, Francisco Sanchez-Bayo and Kris Wyckhuys, said: “The conclusion is clear: unless we change our ways of producing food, insects as a whole will go down the path of extinction in a few decades.

Researchers say the loss of insects could be 'catastrophic'
Image:
Researchers say the loss of insects could be ‘catastrophic’

“The repercussions this will have for the planet’s ecosystems are catastrophic to say the least, as insects are at the structural and functional base of many of the world’s ecosystems since their rise at the end of the Devonian period, almost 400 million years ago.”

They called for a dramatic reduction in the use of pesticides, habitat restoration and changes to agriculture, such as planting flowers along the margins of fields.

The chief executive of the wildlife charity Buglife called the report “gravely sobering” and also urged change.

“It is becoming increasingly obvious our planet’s ecology is breaking and there is a need for an intense and global effort to halt and reverse these dreadful trends – allowing the slow eradication of insect life to continue is not a rational option,” said Matt Shardlow.

Falling insect populations have been the subject of concern for a number of years, with a report published last year finding species in German nature reserves had declined by more than 75% during the 27-year study.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Running battles on Venezuela border as aid trucks from Colombia set alight | World News

Published

on

Battles between protesters and Venezuela’s national guard are taking place on the border with Colombia as trucks try to deliver tonnes of emergency aid.

People scrambled to save boxes of food and medicine from burning vehicles, with claims national guardsmen set them alight as they crossed into Venezuela.

Smoke billowed from barricades, built to stop the aid getting in, and demonstrators threw rocks at heavily-armed police.

Tear gas was fired at people trying to clear the blockade to the Francisco de Paula Santander bridge – in the Venezuelan border town of Urena.

Two protesters have also been killed and 18 injured in Santa Elena de Uairen, near the border with Brazil, according to a doctor at the scene.

Smoke billowed from the trucks set alight on the bridge
Image:
Smoke billowed from the trucks set alight on the Francisco de Paula Santander bridge
One of the aid trucks was set alight - reportedly by National Guardsmen
Image:
The trucks were said to have been set alight by National Guardsmen
People rushed to get the aid off the burning truck on the Francisco de Paula Santander bridge
Image:
People rushed to get the aid off the burning trucks

The clashes come after opposition leader Juan Guaido vowed to bring humanitarian aid from Colombia.

Nearly 200 tonnes of aid in a convoy of trucks has been waiting to cross several border bridges.

Mr Guaido says the supplies are vital to help people left in a dire situation by the government of President Nicolas Maduro.



A man faces off against police at the Simon Bolivar bridge in Cucuta, Colombia







‘We’ve got to do it today’ – Sky’s Cordelia Lynch meets protesters in Cucuta

A demonstrator kicks a burning tyre in Urena
Image:
A demonstrator kicks a burning tyre in Urena

Venezuelan officials have closed the border with Colombia, Brazil and the island of Curacao and have been cracking down on those trying to keep them open.

President Maduro said he had cut all diplomatic relations with Colombia’s “fascist government” and was expelling its diplomats in response to its support for Mr Guaido.

“Patience is exhausted, I can’t bare it anymore, we can’t keep putting up with Colombian territory being used for attacks
against Venezuela,” Mr Maduro told supporters in Venezuelan capital Caracas.

Opponents claim he presided over a fraudulent election and has let the economy go to ruins with rampant inflation and people struggling to get food and medicine.

Venezuelan national guards clash with demonstrators in Urena
Image:
Venezuelan national guards clash with demonstrators in Urena
Venezuelans clash with national guards in the border town of Urena
Image:
A protester kicks over one of the barricades

Most of the aid at the Columbia border has been provided by the US which has recognised Mr Guaido as the interim president, despite Mr Maduro refusing to stand down.

Venezuelan authorities regard the plan to bring in aid as a veiled US-backed invasion.

Tensions first flared at dawn, when residents in Urena began removing yellow metal barricades and barbed wire blocking the Francisco de Paula Santander bridge.

A woman throws an object at police in Urena
Image:
A woman throws an object at police in Urena
A protester is hit in the face by barbed wire during battles with guards in Urena
Image:
A protester is hit in the face by barbed wire during battles with guards in Urena

At another border crossing, the Simon Bolivar bridge, about 10 miles (15km) south, Colombian migration authorities said four National Guardsmen had deserted their posts and asked for help.

Pictures showed young men struggling to get through a crowd, holding their assault rifles and pistols above their heads in a sign of surrender.

They were then ordered to lay on the ground as migration officials held back onlookers.

The moment two Venezuelan guards hand themselves to the Colombian authorities
Image:
The moment two Venezuelan guards hand themselves to the Colombian authorities

Juan Guaido, the 35-year-old head of Venezuela’s National Assembly, declared himself interim president under the constitution on 23 January.

He has been backed by dozens of countries, including the UK.

On Friday, he attended a concert staged by Sir Richard Branson, in Cucuta, on the Colombian side of the border, opposite Urena.

A woman lies injured amid tensions at the Simon Bolivar bridge on the border of Colombia and Venezuela
Image:
A woman lies injured amid tensions at the Simon Bolivar bridge

Mr Guaido met Colombian president Ivan Duque at the Live Aid-style event, despite Mr Maduro forbidding him from leaving the country.

Sky’s Cordelia Lynch, who is in Venezuela, said hundreds of people at the concert were planning to join the battle to get the trucks across the border.

She said Mr Guaido had been talking to the authorities to get permission to bring across 14 trucks, each laden with about 20 tonnes of aid in a shipping container.

Juan Guaido at the Venezeula border with Colombia
Image:
Juan Guaido at the Venezeula border with Colombia
Supporters of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro take part in a counter protest in Caracas
Image:
Supporters of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro take part in a counter protest in Caracas

Protests also took place on Saturday in Curacao and in the capital Caracas – where a protest was held by President Maduro’s supporters.

Mr Maduro told the crowds he was ready to defend Venezuela’s independence with his life if necessary.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Harry and Meghan given guard of honour as they arrive in Morocco | UK News

Published

on

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been greeted by a guard of honour as they arrived in Morocco for a three-day tour.

After a 90-minute delay, Harry and Meghan flew into Casablanca, famous for the romantic Hollywood film.

But this is a business trip for the royal couple, and their second major overseas tour, as they visit Morocco on behalf of the government and the Foreign Office.

With Meghan’s baby due in April or May, the Palace confirmed that medical provisions had been made. It is not unusual for doctors to travel as part of the royal party, although officials did not go into detail.

The couple are staying privately as guests of the king of Morocco in a royal residence.

They will use the visit to highlight their interest in issues around female empowerment, inclusivity, education for women and girls, and encouraging young entrepreneurs.

The duchess is due to give birth in April or May
Image:
The duchess is due to give birth in April or May
A guard of honour welcomed Harry and Meghan at the airport
Image:
A guard of honour welcomed Harry and Meghan at the airport

Morocco is seen as a key focus for UK foreign policy, as a gateway to Africa.

Speaking ahead of the visit, ambassador to Morocco Thomas Reilly said: “It is hugely exciting to have The Duke and Duchess of Sussex here for the next few days, and I am delighted to have this opportunity to showcase the vital roles that girls’ education and youth empowerment are playing in shaping modern Morocco.

“When we began planning for this visit, I had a very clear view in my mind of the story we wanted this visit to tell.

“It is the same story that we have been telling consistently at this embassy about Morocco since my arrival here 20 months ago, and in a fortunate stroke of serendipity, we have found that this story fits with interests close to their hearts.”

THE DUKE AND DUCHESS OF SUSSEX ARRIVE IN MOROCCO
Image:
Harry and Meghan are staying as guests of the king

In the medina in Rabat, Sky News met 18-year-old Loubna Ouraich.

She is from a Berber family that live in a village near the Atlas Mountains. Her father is a teacher and encouraged her and her sisters to study.

She is the first woman in her family to go to university and is studying French literature in Rabat.

She told Sky News she admires what Meghan stands for: “I saw some pictures of her in all the world, doing a lot of things, a lot of beautiful things for humanity, humans, helping poor people and that was so great.

“And when I see her I just remember the Princess Diana, she’s wonderful.”

It comes at the end of a busy few days for the duchess who spent most of last week in New York with her friends, who put on an opulent baby shower.

The Duchess of Sussex is spending five days in New York on a low-key visit
Image:
The baby shower in New York attracted a lot of media attention
American photographers could not believe their luck
Image:
Meghan’s stay in the Big Apple came in for some criticism

However, the private baby shower became a very public event with journalists tipped off about the event.

Her friends reportedly paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to spoil Meghan and cover the cost of penthouse suites and private jets.

The cost and the way it was managed has come in for some criticism.

Arthur Edwards, royal photographer for The Sun, said: “I remember going to New York with Princess Diana, and she used to stay at the Carlisle, very sort of small hotel, but beautifully smart.

“And there used to be about four of us waiting outside for her to come and go, you know completely different, and she’d come out and give us a smile and get into the car – but I mean Meghan it was a massive showbiz event.

“She’s become America’s Diana, she’s so massive now.”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will fly into the Atlas Mountains on Sunday to carry out engagements in Asni town where they will visit the Education For All boarding house that houses girls aged 12 to 18 to make sure girls in rural communities get access to secondary education.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Gunfire and explosions at start of Nigeria’s presidential election | World News

Published

on

Nigeria’s delayed election began with gunfire and explosions as President Muhammadu Buhari seeks a second term.

Delays at polling stations across the West Africa country have also marred the election which is widely seen as too close to call.

Police say they carried out the blasts in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, just before polls opened in a show of force to deter Islamic extremists who have been a scourge in the north east.

Security sources said a rocket hit a displaced persons’ camp, while an explosion at an army garrison killed one soldier and injured four others.

It was also confirmed by the army that a “futile” attack on a security outpost in Geidam in Yobe state had been carried out.

President Muhammadu Buhari casts his vote
Image:
President Muhammadu Buhari casts his vote

Gunfire was also heard in Port Harcourt in Nigeria’s restive south where the presence of the army was heavier than in previous elections.

:: Your guide to the Nigerian election

A military convoy in Delta state contained more than 25 vehicles full of soldiers on standby.

Soldiers in Rivers state fired on suspected ballot snatchers and arrested four people.

Mr Buhari refused to answer questions on whether he would accept a loss to top challenger Atiku Abubakar, a billionaire former vice president.

Opposition presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar casts his vote at Ajiya's polling station in Yola, Adamawa State
Image:
Opposition presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar pictured voting

As he went out to vote in his northern hometown of Daura, the president jokingly checked the name on his wife’s ballot.

Nigerians “are behaving themselves”, the president said.

After voting in his hometown of Yola in the north east, Mr Abubakar said: “I look forward to a successful transition”.

He previously pledged to accept the results provided they are credible.

The election is widely seen as too close to call
Image:
The election is widely seen as too close to call

Mr Buhari said the voting process had been smooth but a coalition of civic groups said many polling stations had not opened more than four hours after voting was due to officially start.

Delays were reported in Delta, Anambra and Akwa Ibom states as well as in Nigeria’s largest city Lagos.

Observers say preliminary results of the election are expected within two to four days.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending