Connect with us

World

US sues UBS over alleged crisis-era mortgage securities fraud

Published

on

The U.S. government on Thursday filed a civil fraud lawsuit accusing UBS Group, Switzerland’s largest bank, of defrauding investors in its sale of residential mortgage-backed securities leading up to the 2008-2009 global financial crisis.

UBS was accused of misleading investors about the quality of more than $41 billion of subprime and other risky mortgage loans backing 40 securities offerings in 2006 and 2007, the Department of Justice said in a complaint filed with the federal court in Brooklyn.

The lawsuit came after UBS rejected a government proposal that it pay nearly $2 billion to settle, according to a person familiar with the talks who was not authorized to speak publicly about them.

While UBS was not a big originator of U.S. residential home loans, U.S. Attorney Richard Donoghue in Brooklyn said investors suffered “catastrophic losses” from the bank’s failure to fully disclose the risks of mortgage securities it helped sell.

A UBS spokesman and a Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment on the settlement talks, but the bank said it will fight the lawsuit.

“The DOJ’s claims are not supported by the facts or the law,” it said in a statement. “UBS is confident in its legal position and has been fully prepared for some time to defend itself in court.”

U.S. officials are seeking unspecified fines against UBS under a federal law allowing it to pursue penalties up to the amounts the bank gained or others lost from alleged misconduct.

The case is one of the last addressing alleged misconduct in the pooling and sale by large banks of mortgage securities that were a major cause of the financial crisis.

Bank of America, Barclays, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley and Royal Bank of Scotland previously settled.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Venezuela’s Nicolas Maduro gives American diplomats 72 hours to leave

Published

on

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said on Wednesday he was breaking diplomatic relations with the United States, after the Trump administration recognized opposition leader Juan Guaido as the South American country’s interim president.

Speaking to supporters outside the Miraflores presidential palace in Caracas, socialist leader Maduro said he would give U.S. diplomatic personnel 72 hours to leave Venezuela, which is suffering from a hyperinflationary economic collapse.

Earlier Wednesday, the Trump administration ratcheted up pressure on Maduro on Wednesday, announcing U.S. recognition of Guaido as interim president and signaling potential new sanctions against its vital oil sector.

With street protests against Maduro underway across Venezuela, Trump said the United States recognized Guaido, head of the opposition-controlled Congress, as the country’s leader and called socialist Maduro’s government “illegitimate.”

“I will continue to use the full weight of United States economic and diplomatic power to press for the restoration of Venezuelan democracy,” Trump said in a statement, encouraging other governments in the Western Hemisphere to also recognize Guaido.

The administration had been waiting to issue its announcement after Guaido had been sworn in as the country’s temporary president on Wednesday, people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Venezuelan opposition sympathizers had been urging Guaido to assume the presidency since Maduro was inaugurated to a second term on Jan. 10 following a widely boycotted election last year that the United States and many other foreign governments described as a fraudulent.

Guaido, a newcomer on the national scene who was elected to head Congress on Jan. 5, had said earlier he was willing to replace Maduro if he had the support of the military, with the aim of then calling for free elections.

U.S. officials in recent days had stated openly that Maduro no longer had a legitimate claim on power.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

UAE favors global cooperation amid China’s rising tech dominance

Published

on

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is not worried about China’s rising dominance in the technology sector, according to the country’s artificial intelligence minister.

It comes at a time of widespread concern over Chinese tech giant Huawei. The world’s largest telecom equipment maker is facing restrictions from several national governments, amid heightened fears its products could be used for spying.

Huawei has always insisted it follows regulations wherever it operates.

“We are a very collaborative country, we have worked with everyone from everywhere on earth,” the UAE’s Omar bin Sultan Al Olama told CNBC’s Hadley Gamble at the Word Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos on Wednesday.

“I believe that every country has something for us to learn from, every country has an angle that we can work with them on. I also believe that there needs to be a continuous global dialogue on how we can leverage technology (and) how we can work together,” he added.

China has openly declared its intent to become a world tech leader over the next decade, investing hundreds of billions of dollars in technologies like AI and autonomous vehicles.

Several western governments have expressed concerned about ties between tech giant Huawei and the Chinese government.

“We need to ensure that the playground globally for every citizen anywhere on earth is a fair playing field,” Al Olama said.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

German minister Spahn says Berlin will invest to overcome economic issues

Published

on

Germany will take a new approach to its economic policy amid “struggles” and “headwinds,” the country’s health minister told CNBC Wednesday in Davos.

There are growing concerns about the state of the German economy after some recent disappointing data prompted fears of a recession. Earlier this month, the Federal Statistics Office said that Germany grew 1.5 percent in 2018. In 2017, it grew 2.2 percent. The recent numbers showed the weakest growth rate in five years.

“We are still in a very, very good shape economically,” Jens Spahn, minister of health for Germany told CNBC at the World Economic Forum.

“As always after very good years there might be some struggles, some headwinds ahead. And that is what we see right now,” Spahn, who previously worked in the German finance ministry said.

“Now actually we need to support growth…we want to cut taxes, for example, we want to invest more in infrastructure, into the digitization of the society, broadband, 5G, and the health sector,” he added.

Over the last couple of years, Germany has been criticized for its budget surplus at a time when the rest of Europe was struggling. There were repeated calls, including from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), arguing that Berlin should spend more.

Follow CNBC International on Twitter and Facebook.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending