Connect with us

Latest News

Russian Cossacks ‘to report gay World Cup visitors kissing’

Published

on

Gay couples seen kissing in public by Russian Cossacks during the World Cup will be reported to police, it is being claimed.

The tournament begins in 11 cities across the country next week.

Rostov-on-Don, a southern city, will reportedly have 300 Cossack vigilantes on patrol to help the police keep the streets safe, including 100 on horseback.

The city will host four group matches and one final 16 game, although the England team will not be playing any of their games there.

“If two men are kissing each other at the World Cup, we will tip off the police, drawing their attention to it and the rest is a police matter,” Oleg Barannikov, a head coordinator of the Cossack volunteers told Radio Free Europe affiliate Current Time.

“To us, values mean the (Christian) Orthodox faith and the family come first.”

The England team training for their friendly against Costa Rica
Image:
England’s first game is against Tunisia on 18 June in Volgograd

The extreme views of some Cossacks will be a concern for some nations.

They are reported to have beaten anti-Putin demonstrators with leather whips last month.

However, local media have reported that they will not be carrying whips during the tournament.

Homosexuality is not illegal in Russia but recent legislation bans the distribution of material publicising non-heterosexual relationships.

Russia’s football union has stated it will not ban World Cup visitors from displaying rainbow pride flags.

England’s Football Supporters’ Federation (FSF) has advised fans to “trust their instincts” during their visit.

“While the British embassy in Moscow is not aware of any increased difficulties for British people travelling in Russia… [fans should] remain vigilant to the possibility of anti-English or anti-British sentiment,” the FSF said.

It added that while “many perceive Russians as either reserved or unexcitable – they are in many cases actually more emotional than ‘Westerners'”.

Source link

Latest News

US election 2020: ‘I voted for a guy named Trump’ – President casts his ballot in Florida | World News

Published

on

The president has cast his ballot in the US election, telling reporters: “I voted for a guy named Trump.”

After voting in West Palm Beach, Florida, Mr Trump also took the opportunity to attack mail-in ballots – warning that they can never be as secure as voting in person.

Describing his experience at the polling station as “perfect and very strict”, he added: “It was a very secure vote – much more secure than when you send in a ballot, I can tell you that.”

The president said that that he will be holding “three big rallies” today, and claimed: “I hear we’re doing very well in Florida and every place else.”

To secure the White House, winning in Florida is essential.

The state has consistently voted for the victor in every election except one since 1964 – and no Republican has won without the state in almost a century.

With 29 electoral college votes up for grabs, it’s the largest swing state and crucial for gathering the 270 votes needed.

Most polls show Mr Biden narrowly ahead in Florida. History suggests that, if Mr Trump loses here, he’ll likely lose the White House.

The election will take place on Tuesday 3 November – just under two weeks away.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Coronavirus: Police find suspected illegal pub – complete with bar, 70in TV, toilet, pool table and smoking area | World News

Published

on

Police in Ireland have searched a suspected illicit pub, or “shebeen”, on suspicion of breaching coronavirus measures.

The property near Athy in County Kildare was targeted by Gardai officers on Friday evening.

The force had launched an investigation after they became aware of the premises, and the fact people were congregating in a breach of social distancing rules, through social media.

Police found a room that contained a pool table and large TV screen
Image:
Police found a room that contained a pool table and large TV screen

Gardai searched the suspected shebeen at about 8pm and found a fully operational bar in a repurposed state.

Shebeen is an Irish term which refers to an illicit bar or club where alcoholic drinks are sold without a licence.

The premises was fitted with a bar, stools, tables, chairs, a 70in flat-screen television, and a full-size pool table.

There were several beer taps on the bar, along with an under bar cooler and kegs.

There was also a smoking area, store room and toilet on the premises.

Officers seized five kegs of beer, a significant amount of spirits and bottled beers, and various bar equipment including the taps, gas and coolers.

A full investigation is now under way and files will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

A bin outside the premises was full of empty drinks bottles
Image:
A bin outside the premises was full of empty drinks bottles

The investigation in Ireland comes as a man in Manchester has been given a £10,000 fixed penalty notice after officers closed down a party with over 50 people in attendance.

Officers were called to a report of a party at a flat on Simpson Street in Angel Meadows shortly after 11.20pm on Friday night.

DJ mixing decks, industrial speakers and a buffet was found by officers on arrival.

A total of 52 fines have been handed out since Greater Manchester went into Tier 3 restrictions.

Assistant Chief Constable Mabs Hussain, of Greater Manchester Police, said: “This party was a blatant disregard of the rules and for public health. It is totally unacceptable in the current crisis the whole world is facing and is not what we want our officers to be spending their time doing.

“We had no alternative but to issue the maximum penalty for breaching the legislation on large gatherings and I hope this serves as a reminder to those considering to flout the rules – we will take action.”

It comes after a wedding attended by around 250 guests was shut down by police last week.

Officers were first called to the venue on Old Kent Road at 20:20hrs on Sunday 18 October, after concerned residents suspected the address was being burgled.

It appeared that those attending the ceremony had closed the shutters at the front of the venue, in an attempt to mask the celebration.

Police dispersed crowds at the scene.

Two people at the event were advised that they had been reported for consideration of a fixed penalty notice.

Detective Superintendent Nicky Arrowsmith, said: “This event was a blatant breach of the regulations and could have been a breeding ground for transmitting the virus.

“There were over 200 people inside, no social distancing and indeed no attempts to make the venue COVID secure, in line with the government guidelines.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Terminator star Schwarzenegger feels ‘fantastic’ after latest heart surgery | Ents & Arts News

Published

on

Terminator star Arnold Schwarzenegger has told fans he feels “fantastic” after undergoing heart surgery.

The 73-year-old former governor of California said he had been given a new aortic valve.

In 2018 he was given a new pulmonary valve to replace one he received in 1997 due to a congenital heart defect.

In a social media post, he thanked doctors from the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio and told the city’s residents he had been out and about enjoying the sights since his operation.

Photos showed him giving a thumbs-up from his hospital bed and exploring Cleveland.

Schwarzenegger talked in May about the surgery.

In the online graduation video, he admitted he could have died, adding: “The reason why I’m telling you all this is because no matter how successful you are, life will throw obstacles in your path, like it was with my heart surgery or your graduation now.

More from Arnold Schwarzenegger

“But if you have a very clear vision like I talked about earlier, of exactly what you want to do and who you want to be, you can go and find a way around all of these obstacles.

“That’s what life is all about, overcoming obstacles.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending