Connect with us

Latest News

US ‘not going to be played’ in North Korea talks, says Donald Trump

Published

on

The United States is “not going to be played” when it comes to talks with North Korea, Donald Trump has warned.

Speaking while welcoming German Chancellor Angela Merkel to the White House for talks, he said discussions between the North and South had “never gone this far” after the two nations agreed on “complete denuclearisation”.

However, Mr Trump also said his leadership meant US talks with North Korea would “be different” this time around. The American President is said to be deciding between two or three locations for a summit in the coming weeks.

It comes after he expressed his delight as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in met south of the North Korean border on Friday.

:: Koreas agree on complete denuclearisation

South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un gesture after signing agreements
Image:
Kim Jong Un and Moon Jae-in after signing agreements

He posted on Twitter: “KOREAN WAR TO END! The United States, and all of its GREAT people, should be very proud of what is now taking place in Korea!”

At a news conference, he said: “I want to thank Chancellor Merkel for her leadership in our campaign of maximum pressure on the North Korean regime which has helped us to reach this important step – this moment where we are right now, it’s taken a long time, many many decades to get here – let’s see what happens.

“We seek a future of peace, prosperity and harmony for the whole Korean peninsula, unlocking not only brighter future for the people of Korea but for the people of the world.

“However, in pursuit of that goal we will not repeat the mistake of past administrations – maximum pressure will continue until denuclearisation occurs. I look forward to our meeting it should be quite something.”


The two leaders meet in the demilitarised zone



Video:
Kim: A new history starts now

While speaking to US athletes who competed at the South Korea Winter Olympics earlier on Friday, President Trump said he hoped both sides would “someday live in harmony, prosperity and peace”.

“It looks like it could happen,” he added. “When I began, people were saying that was an impossibility. They said there were two alternatives: let them have what they have or go to war.

“And now we have a much better alternative than anybody thought even possible.”

US Vice President Mike Pence said a Korean peace agreement is just one step towards denuclearisation and said that “any talks, promises and assurances will be met with reservation, vigilance and verification”.

He added: “Planning for the United States and North Korea Summit continues, but as we’ve said before – the pressure campaign will continue unabated.”

Mr Pompeo said 'channels are open' between the US and North Korea
Image:
Mr Pompeo said a resolution would be ‘wonderful’ for the world

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said a meeting with Kim Jong Un would be approached with caution.

During another news briefing, he said: “The economic pressure that has been put in place by this global effort – that President Trump has led – has led to him to believe that it’s in his best interest to come to the table and talk about denuclearisation.

“I’m always careful, there’s a lot of history here where promises have been made, hopes have been raised and dashed.

“President Trump has made clear we’re gong to work to get a meeting set up – the two of them will meet. In the event that it fails, respectfully President Trump will walk away and then the pressure will remain.”



Source link

Latest News

140 migrants drown near Senegal in ‘deadliest shipwreck so far this year’, UN reports | World News

Published

on

At least 140 migrants have drowned off the coast of Senegal in the deadliest shipwreck recorded by the United Nations this year.

The boat caught fire and capsized hours after leaving the town of Mbour, about 62 miles south of the capital Dakar, for the Canary Islands on Saturday, the UN’s migration agency said.

“At least 140 people have drowned after a vessel carrying around 200 migrants sank off the Senegalese coast, the deadliest shipwreck recorded in 2020,” the International Organization for Migration said in a statement.

Roughly 60 people were rescued by the Senegalese and Spanish navies, as well as fisherman.

The perilous sea passage from West Africa to the Canary Islands was once a major route for those seeking an escape from poverty, and has seen a surge this year.

Spain had stepped up patrols to stop people attempting the journey, but migrant arrivals to the Canary Islands from West Africa have more than quadrupled in 2020 to around 11,000 compared with the same period last year.

Fourteen boats carrying 663 migrants left Senegal for the islands in September, the IOM said, over a quarter of which experienced an incident or shipwreck.

And in August, Spanish authorities found a boat near the Canary Islands with 10 dead migrants on board.

Last December, sunbathers stepped in to help some two dozen migrants who washed up on a beach in the islands, including three children and a pregnant woman.

Their rickety boat landed on the shores of Aguila in Gran Canaria, with those on-board having spent six days navigating the rough waters of the Atlantic.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Nice knife attack: More details revealed about knifeman as one victim named | World News

Published

on

French authorities have revealed that the Nice attacker who killed three people is Tunisian and was unknown to security services.

France’s chief anti-terrorist prosecutor, Jean-Francois Ricard, said the young man, born in 1999, arrived in the city by train and changed his clothes at the station, before walking 400 metres to the Notre Dame church.

He entered France from Italy – travelling through the southern Italian city of Bari on 9 October – after reaching the Mediterranean island of Lampedusa on 20 September.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Shots fired as police storm church

He was carrying an Italian Red Cross identity document and two phones, while a bag containing two unused knives was found.

The blade used in the attack was 30cm long, with a cutting edge of 17cm.

Following the attack at the church he moved towards police in a “threatening way”, shouting Allahu Akbar [God is greatest] before being shot and seriously wounded by officers, who fired at least 14 bullets at him.

He is being treated in hospital, Mr Ricard said.

One of the three people stabbed to death has been named as church worker Vincent Loques.

Local politician Eric Ciotti tweeted a picture of Mr Loques dressed in a t-shirt, looking relaxed and smiling.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Macron: France is ‘under attack’

He said Mr Loques was a “devoted employee” of the Notre Dame church.

Mr Ricard described the scene of the attack. He said a 60-year-old woman suffered a “very deep throat slitting, like a decapitation”.

She and Mr Loques died at the scene, while a 44-year-old woman made it out of the church and died at a local cafe.

Mr Loques was 55 and a father of two, Le Parisien newspaper reported.

Members of the parish said he had been church warden for ten years and was “expansive and sympathetic”.

A relative of the sacristan victim of a knife attack cries in front of the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Nice in Nice on October 29, 2020. - France's national anti-terror prosecutors said Thursday they have opened a murder inquiry after a man killed three people at a basilica in central Nice and wounded several others. The city's mayor, Christian Estrosi, told journalists at the scene that the assailant, detained shortly afterwards by police, "kept repeating 'Allahu Akbar' (God is Greater) even whil
Image:
A relative of one of the victims looks on

President Emmanuel Macron, who visited Nice on Thursday afternoon, said his country had been “attacked” and expressed the “support of France towards the Catholic community”.

He added that the number of soldiers deployed to protect schools and religious sites would be increased from about 3,000 at the moment to 7,000.

Reuters journalists at the scene said police armed with automatic weapons put up a security cordon around the church, which is on Nice’s Jean Medecin avenue, the city’s main shopping thoroughfare.

Sounds of explosions could be heard as sappers detonated suspicious objects.

Prime Minister Jean Castex has told residents of Nice only to leave home for food shopping, commuting to work, medical reasons or pressing family matters.

Candles have been lit outside the church
Image:
Candles have been lit outside the church

A representative of the French Council for the Muslim Faith condemned the attack, saying: “As a sign of mourning and solidarity with the victims and their loved ones, I call on all Muslims in France to cancel all the celebrations of the holiday of Mawlid [Prophet Muhammad’s birthday].”

In a separate incident shortly after, French police confirmed a man was shot dead near Avignon, after threatening passers-by with a handgun in the district of Montfavet.

In Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, a man was arrested after stabbing and wounding a guard at the French consulate, state media reported.

It comes as the country remains under high alert for terrorist attacks following the beheading earlier this month of French middle school teacher Samuel Paty in Paris.

The attacker had said he wanted to punish Mr Paty for showing pupils cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in a civics lesson.

:: Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Nice’s mayor, Christian Estrosi, said the victims had been killed in a “horrible way”.

“The methods match, without doubt, those used against the brave teacher in Conflans Sainte Honorine, Samuel Paty.”

He added: “Attack in Nice, attack in Avignon, attack on the French consulate in Saudi Arabia. It is not a coincidence.”

Since Mr Paty’s killing, French officials – backed by many ordinary citizens – have re-asserted the right to display the cartoons, and the images have been widely displayed at marches in solidarity with the killed teacher.

That has prompted an outpouring of anger in parts of the Muslim world, with some governments accusing President Macron of pursuing an anti-Islam agenda.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

US hospitals facing ‘increased and imminent cybercrime threat’, FBI warns | World News

Published

on

Cybercriminals could soon paralyse the US healthcare system with a ransomware attack, which has already hit five hospitals and four other facilities, the FBI has warned.

In an alert on Wednesday, the FBI said it had credible evidence of an “increased and imminent cybercrime threat” to healthcare providers nationwide.

They warned the fraudsters behind the ransomware, which is called Ryuk, want to steal data and disrupt healthcare services.

They do this by scrambling their victims’ data, making it impossible to understand, then demanding money to decode it again, the alert from the FBI, Department of Homeland Security and Department of Health and Human Services said.

The attack, which has already affected five hospitals this week, as well as four other healthcare institutions, could spread further in the coming days, they added.

It coincides with a nationwide rise in coronavirus cases and the US election on 3 November.

But there is currently no evidence the cybercriminals have any political motive, the alert stressed.

Previous ransomware attacks have resulted in ambulances being diverted to different hospitals and medics left to keep track of patient care with just pen and paper.

One in Dusseldorf, Germany, in September, resulted in a critically-ill patient being rerouted to another hospital in the city, which ultimately led to their death.

So far the current US attack has not seen any care compromised.

But Charles Carmakal, chief technical officer of security firm Mandiant, says the cyber threat could be the “most significant” the US has ever seen.

He warned criminals are “deliberately targeting and disrupting US hospitals, forcing them to divert patients to other healthcare providers” and producing prolonged delays in critical care.

So far this year 59 US healthcare providers or systems have been impacted by ransomware, which has resulted in care at 510 facilities being compromised, cybersecurity analysts at Emisisoft added.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending