Connect with us

Latest News

Cohen says he will take the Fifth Amendment in Stormy Daniels lawsuit

Published

on

Daniels, whose legal name is Stephanie Clifford, is suing Cohen for defamation for suggesting that she lied about an affair with Trump in 2006. She is also suing Trump, alleging that the nondisclosure agreement that Cohen had arranged with her is invalid because the president never signed it.

Last week, a federal judge told Cohen that he himself needed to file the declaration asserting his Fifth Amendment rights because it was not enough for Cohen’s lawyer to do it for him, according to The Associated Press.

This news comes as Trump’s lawyer told a federal judge on Wednesday that the president will make himself available “as needed” in the continuing legal battle over the documents seized in the raid.

Joanna Hendon, Trump’s attorney, said in a letter to the judge that the president would aid in a potential review of the materials that were taken by the FBI to determine which items are subject to attorney-client privilege should a special master be appointed to oversee the filtering of the seized materials. Trump’s involvement would need to be authorized by the judge.

The search took place earlier this month, seeking information about the $130,000 payment Cohen made to Daniels days before the 2016 election and other matters. Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who oversees the Russia probe, personally signed off on the raid.

Source link

Latest News

Fred Perry stops selling polo shirt after it becomes associated with far-right group | World News

Published

on

Fred Perry has pulled one of its famous polo shirts after it became associated with a neo-fascist organisation. 

The British clothes maker said it was “incredibly frustrating” that the Proud Boys had adopted its black and yellow shirt – and announced it would no longer be selling the item in North America and Canada.

“To be absolutely clear, if you see any Proud Boys materials or products featuring our Laurel Wreath or any Black/Yellow/Yellow related items, they have absolutely nothing to do with us, and we are working with our lawyers to pursue any unlawful use of our brand,” it said in a statement on its website.

The brand was founded by Wimbledon champion Fred Perry in 1952 and has been adopted by various British subcultures since.

It has long been associated with the Skinheads, who originally denounced fascism – although the group divided in the 1970s as a small number of its members swung to the far right.

The clothes brand has spoken out against far-right views on numerous occasions after its wreath-emblazoned polo shirts were used by controversial groups.

“The Fred Perry shirt is a piece of British subcultural uniform, adopted by various groups of people who recognise their own values in what it stands for,” the brand said.

“We are proud of its lineage and what the Laurel Wreath has represented for over 65 years: inclusivity, diversity and independence…

“Despite its lineage, we have seen that the Black/Yellow/Yellow twin-tipped shirt is taking on a new and very different meaning in North America as a result of its association with the Proud Boys. That association is something we must do our best to end.”

The far-right group has adopted the black and yellow shirts
Image:
Fred Perry said the use of the shirts is ‘incredibly frustrating’

The brand revealed it had discontinued the shirt in North America and Canada since September last year, and would not be selling it there again “until we’re satisfied that its association with the Proud Boys has ended”.

The Proud Boys is a far-right group that admits only men and promotes political violence.

When asked in 2017 about the association, Fred Perry chairman John Flynn said the group was “counter to our beliefs and the people we work with”.

“Fred was the son of a working-class socialist MP who became a world tennis champion at a time when tennis was an elitist sport. He started a business with a Jewish businessman from Eastern Europe,” he said.

“It’s a shame we even have to answer questions like this. No, we don’t support the ideals or the group that you speak of.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Ex-Trump campaign manager in hospital after threatening to hurt himself | US News

Published

on

Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Brad Parscale has been taken to hospital after threatening to hurt himself, police in Florida have said. 

His wife had called police to say he had multiple firearms and was threatening to harm himself at their home in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday.

However, police said he was alone in the house at the time and officers had managed to negotiate with him to leave the property.

The former campaign manager was threatening to self-harm
Image:
The former campaign manager was threatening to self-harm

Mr Parscale was taken to hospital under the state’s Baker Act, which allows anyone believed to be a threat to themselves or others to be detained for 72 hours for psychiatric evaluation.

Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh said: “Brad Parscale is a member of our family and we love him.

“We are ready to support him and his family in any way possible.”

Mr Parscale was demoted from the role of campaign manager in July, although had remained part of the campaign and helped run its digital operation.

He attracted media attention earlier this year due to his extravagant lifestyle on the Florida coast that kept him far from the Virginia campaign headquarters.

Shortly before he was demoted, Mr Parscale had claimed hundreds of thousands of people were signed up to a Trump comeback rally in Tulsa – only for about 6,000 to show up.

Mr Trump was said to be “furious” at the “underwhelming” crowd, according to NBC News, and Mr Parscale was replaced by Bill Stepien as campaign manager.

Anyone feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call Samaritans for help on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org in the UK. In the US, call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Joe Montana: Ex-NFL star and wife grab grandchild from arms of intruder | US News

Published

on

Former NFL quarterback Joe Montana and his wife confronted a home intruder who attempted to kidnap their nine-month-old grandchild over the weekend, law enforcement officials say.

Montana told officers his grandchild was sleeping in a playpen on Saturday when an unknown woman entered their home in Malibu and grabbed the child.

According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the former San Francisco 49ers star and his wife, Jennifer, confronted the woman, tried to “de-escalate the situation” and asked her to give back their grandchild.

After a tussle, officials said Jennifer Montana removed the child from the intruder who was later identified as Sodsai Dalzell.

Montana in action for the 49ers
Image:
Montana in action for the 49ers

“Thank you to everyone who has reached out,” Montana tweeted.

“Scary situation, but thankful that everybody is doing well. We appreciate respect for our privacy at this time.”

The sheriff’s office said Dalzell fled the home but was later arrested. She faces kidnapping and burglary charges.

Montana, 64, retired after the 1994 season, playing 13 years of his 15-year career with the San Francisco 49ers, who won four Super Bowls with him as starting quarterback.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending