Connect with us

Latest News

Saudi king attacks Trump over Israel embassy move

Published

on

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has criticised Donald Trump’s decision to move the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

The 82-year-old was speaking at the 29th annual Arab League summit in the oil-rich Saudi city of Dhahran.

King Salman, who travels rarely because of his declining health, said: “We reiterate our rejection of the US decision on Jerusalem.”

He added: “East Jerusalem is an integral part of the Palestinian territories.”

His words come just weeks after his son Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman met Donald Trump.

US President Donald Trump (R) shakes hands with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the Oval Office of the White House on March 20, 2018 in Washington, DC
Image:
US President Donald Trump said he and the Saudi leaders ‘understand each other’

Seemingly starstruck, the US President told Saudi Arabia’s next leader: “You are more than the crown prince now.”

Mr Trump then told reporters that the relationship between the two countries was “probably the strongest it has ever been”, adding: “We understand each other.”

Saudi Arabia, a long-time ally of the US, had also declared their support for Saturday’s strikes on Syria by the US, UK and France, although the king did not mention this during his speech.

On Sunday, King Salman made it clear he was unhappy with Mr Trump’s decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, an opinion backed by the other leaders at the summit.

He also announced a $150m (£105m) donation for the maintenance of Islamic heritage in East Jerusalem, including the Al Aqsa mosque, and $50m (£35m) in funding for the UN agency that provides aid to Palestinian refugees.

Saudi Arabia's King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud talks during the opening of 29th Arab Summit in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia April 15, 2018. Bandar Algaloud/Courtesy of Saudi Royal Court
Image:
King Salman, 82, rarely travels these days due to his ill health

The main focus of King Salman’s opening speech was Iran, which he criticised for “terrorist acts” and “blatant interference” in regional affairs, particularly the conflict in Yemen.

The two rivals are engaged in proxy wars in Yemen and Syria but also back opposing sides in Lebanon, Iraq and Bahrain.

There was little mention of Syria, whose president Bashar al Assad was not invited to the summit.

The Gulf states have donated large amounts of money to help refugees from the country but have not officially offered them asylum.

And, despite their condemnation of the suspected chemical attack earlier this month, the league members are unlikely to call for Assad to stand down.

The stand-off between Qatar and Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain and Egypt is also not expected to feature.

Source link

Latest News

Coronavirus: Trump says 200,000 US deaths is ‘a shame’ | US News

Published

on

Donald Trump has referred to the death of 200,000 people from coronavirus in the US – the highest figure of any country in the world – as “a shame”.

The president insisted the number of Americans who had died from COVID-19 could have been far higher had it not been for the actions of his administration, without providing evidence for his claim.

Live updates on coronavirus from UK and around world

Mr Trump leaves Washington for an election rally in Pennsylvania
Image:
Mr Trump leaves Washington for an election rally in Pennsylvania

Mr Trump had initially ignored a question from the media about the US death toll as he was leaving the White House for an election rally in Pennsylvania.

He then said: “I think it’s a shame. I think if we didn’t do it properly and do it right, you’d have 2.5 million deaths. You could have a number that would be substantially more.

“It’s a horrible thing. Should have never, ever happened.”

He also repeated his previous criticisms of China, where the coronavirus first emerged at the end of 2019.

He said: “China should have stopped it at their border. They should have never let this spread all over the world. It’s a terrible thing.”

Mr Trump has been criticised for his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, having repeatedly sought to downplay the disease as it began to spread through the US.

There are continuing fears among health experts that the high level of infections in the country will make the virus more difficult to control during the winter months.

:: Subscribe to Divided States on Apple podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Spreaker

According to Johns Hopkins University, the US has seen nearly 6.9 million cases and 200,818 deaths.

The figures account for more than 20% of the cases worldwide, despite the US having just over 4% of the world’s population.

Brazil has the second worst toll with 138,105 recorded deaths. The global figure for deaths from the coronavirus is 971,483.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Ex-traffic cop who claims to be reincarnation of Jesus arrested in Russia | World News

Published

on

A former traffic police officer who claims to be the reincarnation of Jesus has been arrested by Russian security forces.

Prominent mystic Sergei Torop and other leaders of the Church of the Last Testament sect were held in a remote part of Siberia on Tuesday.

They are accused of “damaging their followers’ health”.

Russia’s Investigative Committee said in a statement that the religious group had used psychological pressure to extract money from its followers and caused serious harm to their health.

Sergei Torop
Image:
The cult leader is a former traffic policeman

Torop, known to his followers as Vissarion, set up the Church of the Last Testament in the Krasnoyarsk region in 1991, the year the Soviet Union broke up.

The operation to detain him, as well as group leaders Vadim Redkin and Vladimir Vedernikov, involved the police as well as members of the Federal Security Service.

The men could face up to 12 years in jail if found guilty, the RIA news agency reported.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Luis Suarez faces investigation after ‘cheating’ on Italian citizenship test | World News

Published

on

Police in Italy have opened an investigation after Luis Suarez, one of the most controversial players in world football, was accused of cheating on his Italian citizenship test ahead of a move to the country.

The Uruguayan, who has previously faced bans for biting opponents and making racist remarks, took the exam in Perugia last week to facilitate a transfer from Barcelona to Juventus.

But prosecutors allege the former Liverpool striker, 33, knew what was going to be in the paper and that his mark had already been decided.

Luis Suarez leaves the University for Foreigners in Perugia after taking an Italian citizenship test
Image:
Luis Suarez leaves the University for Foreigners in Perugia after taking an Italian citizenship test

The Perugia public prosecutor’s office said in a statement: “Some irregularities have emerged in the exam of certification of Italian, sat on September 17 by Uruguayan football player Luis Alberto Suarez Diaz, needed to obtain the Italian citizenship.

“From the investigation, it emerged that the topics in the exam had been agreed in advance with the applicant and that the relative mark had been attributed even before carrying out the exam, regardless of the fact that an elementary proficiency of the Italian language had been verified during remote classes carried out by lecturers of the University for Foreigners.

Suarez (left) was handed an eight-match ban over the incident
Image:
Luis Suarez was banned for eight matches ban for racially abusing Manchester United’s Patrice Evra (R)

“Today, the Italian financial police are moving forward to capture the documents at the university offices, to verify the actions described beforehand and notify the information assurances for the crimes of revelation of professional secrecy, false representation committed by public officials in official documents and other acts.

Juventus have no places left in their squad for non-EU players, meaning Suarez had to obtain Italian citizenship to join the club.

And the proposed move appears to have fallen through, with the Italian champions now set to re-sign Alvaro Morata from Atletico Madrd.

Suarez, who has been told he can leave Barcelona, now seems set to replace Morata in the Spanish capital.

Luis Suarez battles for possession
Image:
Luis Suarez is a Uruguayan international

Republicca reported a local official as saying on Monday: “He [Suarez} does not speak a word of Italian.

“He does not conjugate verbs, he only speaks using the infinitive. If journalists would ask him some questions, he’d be lost. He earns €10million a year, he needs to pass this exam.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending