Connect with us

Politics

Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold resigns from Congress

Published

on

Farenthold had previously said he would retire from Congress at the end of the year. He has represented Texas’s 27th Congressional District since 2011. He was elected as part of the Tea Party wave in 2010, defeating longtime Democratic incumbent Rep. Solomon Ortiz.

In early December, it was reported that he had used the congressional Office of Compliance account to settle a sexual harassment claim from 2014. He later promised to pay back the $84,000.

In his statement Friday, he did not address the sexual harassment claim or the allegations of verbal abuse and discrimination in his office. He previously acknowledged an “unprofessional” workplace in a December video.

The chairman of the National Republican Campaign Committee, Rep. Steve Stivers, R-Ohio, said in a statement Friday that he hopes that Farenthold “is true to his word and pays back the $84,000 of taxpayer money he used as a settlement.” Stivers added that he’s confident that a Republican will be elected to the seat in November.

AshLee Strong, a spokeswoman for House Speaker Paul Ryan, said: “Mr. Farenthold made a commitment that he would reimburse taxpayers for the settlement. He reiterated his commitment to the speaker and the speaker expects him to follow through.”

The #MeToo movement that has sent ripple effects across multiple industries since the Harvey Weinstein scandal resulted in several resignations from Congress last year. Reps. John Conyers, D-Mich., and Trent Franks, R-Ariz., along with Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., all faced sexual misconduct allegations.

Source link

Politics

Boris Johnson speech today time: What time will Boris Johnson give covid update?

Published

on

BORIS JOHNSON is expected to address the nation today in an effort to lay out the next steps of the UK’s response to climbing coronavirus cases. What time will Boris Johnson give a covid update today?

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump administration at odds with allies over reimposing U.N. sanctions on Iran

Published

on

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration unveiled a new set of punitive measures against Iran on Monday, even as it faced isolation on the world stage after other major powers rejected a unilateral move by the U.S. to reimpose U.N. sanctions on Tehran.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and other Cabinet members announced new U.S. sanctions targeting Iran’s Defense Ministry and its ballistic missile program, as well as the leader of Venezuela’s regime, Nicolás Maduro, for allegedly helping Iran’s weapons programs.

“Our actions today are a warning that should be heard worldwide. No matter who you are, if you violate the U.N. arms embargo on Iran, you risk sanctions,” said Pompeo, standing alongside three other Cabinet secretaries, national security adviser Robert O’Brien and the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Craft.

As Pompeo made the announcement, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif dismissed the latest sanctions at an online event that had been scheduled for the same time.

“I don’t think that’s anything new. I don’t think it will have any more significant impact on Iran,” Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, speaking from Iran, told an audience at the Council on Foreign Relations. “The United States has exerted all the pressure it could on Iran. It had hoped that these sanctions would bring our population to its knees. It didn’t.”

The 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers lifted international sanctions on Tehran in return for limits on its nuclear program. The accord includes a “snapback” provision, allowing any country that signed the deal to declare that Iran was in breach of the agreement and to force the reimposition of an array of sanctions.

President Donald Trump withdrew the U.S. from the agreement in 2018, but his administration argues that the U.S. still has the right to force the “snapback” of the U.N. sanctions. Britain, France and Germany said Sunday that the U.S. no longer had the legal authority to force the reimposition of U.N. sanctions. Russia and China also rejected the unilateral move by Washington.

“The United States certainly understands that its assertions are at odds with reality,” Russia said in response to the Trump administration’s declaration.

U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres informed the Security Council in a letter over the weekend that the United Nations will not support Washington’s decision.

“There would appear to be uncertainty whether or not the process … was indeed initiated,” Guterres wrote in the letter obtained by NBC News, referring to the Trump administration’s letter seeking to launch the “snapback” of U.N. sanctions.

“It is not for the Secretary-General to proceed as if no such uncertainty exists,” he wrote.

Craft said the U.S. was not bothered by opposition from other countries and accused foreign governments of backing “terrorism.”

“As we have in the past, we will stand alone to protect peace and security at all times. We don’t need a cheering section to validate our moral compass,” Craft said.

“We do not find comfort based solely on numbers, particularly when the majority has found themselves in an uncomfortable position of underwriting terrorism, chaos and conflict,” she said. “We refuse to be members of that club.”

Craft traveled to Washington to appear at the announcement of new sanctions, skipping the U.N.’s 75th anniversary celebration, which featured a theme of reaffirming “a collective commitment to multilateralism.” Her deputy spoke in her place at the celebration.

Tensions have risen between Iran and the U.S. during Trump’s tenure, culminating with a U.S. drone strike this year that killed a top Iranian military commander, Qasem Soleimani, in Baghdad.

Asked whether Iran planned to retaliate for the killing, Zarif refused to rule out a future response.

“The books are not closed. President Trump ordered the assassination of a national hero for Iran and a hero for the region. So the books are not closed. I’m not in the business of making threats, but the book is not closed,” Zarif said.

The commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps has vowed that revenge for Soleimani’s death would be “decisive, serious and real,” Iran’s Tasnim News Agency reported Sunday.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Brexit LIVE: EU backs down from trade talks threat – Macron plea for legal action ignored

Published

on

BORIS JOHNSON has won a major battle against the European Union after Brussels backed down over a threat to walk away from post-Brexit trade talks, consequently ignoring a furious plea from Emmanuel Macron to take legal action against Britain.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending