Just minutes earlier, the Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS, Brett McGurk, stressed that the job was not finished.
“We are in Syria to fight ISIS. That is our mission,” McGurk said, standing alongside U.S. Army Gen. Joseph Votel, commander of the U.S. Central Command, at the U.S. Institute of Peace. “Our mission is not over. And we are going to complete that mission.”
Trump did not contradict the sentiment, telling reporters Tuesday, “We will not rest until ISIS is gone.”
But the mixed messages from the administration have made the timeline for any U.S. withdrawal unclear.
U.S. and coalition partners on the ground have taken control of almost 95 percent of the territory in Syria once held by ISIS but U.S. officials have said their remaining presence will prove difficult to eliminate quickly and could take months.
Trump said Tuesday that he believed the U.S. had almost completed the task and the military’s success on the ground was close to 100 percent.
For his part, Votel stressed the importance of stabilization in Syria, and said the U.S. military can help.
“The hard part, I think, is in front of us, and that is stabilizing these areas, consolidating our gains, getting people back into their homes,” Votel said.
U.S. officials have confirmed a Wall Street Journal report that a hold has been placed on $200 million pledged by the U.S. for those stabilization efforts in Syria. McGurk said Tuesday that the funds were under review but stressed that U.S. efforts to clear land mines, remove rubble and restore basic services such as electricity and running water would continue.
“It is not hampering our work in the field,” he said. “Our diplomats and our development experts from State and USAID have plenty of work to do, and they also have enough resources to continue with that work.”
Top general drops opposition to change in military sex assault policy
WASHINGTON — In a potentially significant shift in the debate over combating sexual assault in the military, the nation’s top general says he is dropping his opposition to a proposal to take decisions on sexual assault prosecution out of the hands of commanders.
Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, stopped short of endorsing the changes recommended by an independent review panel. But in an interview with The Associated Press and CNN, Milley said he is now open to considering them because the problem of sexual assault in the military has persisted despite other efforts to solve it.
Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, stopped short of endorsing the changes recommended by an independent review panel. But is now open to considering them because the problem of sexual assault in the military has persisted.
“We’ve been at it for years, and we haven’t effectively moved the needle,” he said. “We have to. We must.”
The comments by Milley, as arguably the most influential officer and as the senior military adviser to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and to President Joe Biden, are likely to carry considerable weight among the service chiefs and add to momentum for the change.
Austin, himself a former senior commander and former vice chief of the Army, has not publicly commented on the review commission’s proposal, but it is his creation and thus its recommendations are seen as especially weighty. Lawmakers are also stepping up pressure for the change.
Milley said he would reserve judgment on the proposal to take prosecution authority on sexual assault cases away from commanders until the review commission has finished its work and its recommendations are fully debated within the military leadership.
The review commission submitted its initial recommendations to Austin late last month. Officials have said they expect him to give service leaders about a month to review and respond.
The review panel said that for certain special victims crimes, designated independent judge advocates reporting to a civilian-led office of the Chief Special Victim Prosecutor should decide two key legal questions: whether to charge someone and, ultimately, if that charge should go to a court martial. The crimes would include sexual assault, sexual harassment and, potentially, certain hate crimes.
This goes against longstanding and vehement Pentagon opposition to such moves.
“I was adamantly opposed to that for years,” Milley said, speaking during a military flight Sunday. “But I haven’t seen the needle move” — referring to a failure to reduce the number of reported sexual assaults.
Indeed, in response to policy questions for his July 2019 Senate confirmation hearing, Milley wrote: “Commanders must retain the ability to hold all service members in their formation accountable for their actions. The authority to discipline service members, to include convening courts-martial, is an important tool that enables commanders to fulfill their responsibility to their people and to establish an appropriate culture where victims are treated with dignity and respect.”
Since then, Milley has gained a new boss with the election of Biden, and the president’s defense secretary moved quickly to make combating sexual assault in the military a top priority.
In his comments Sunday, Milley said he has shifted his thinking in part because he is concerned by indications of a lack of confidence by junior enlisted service members in the fairness of sexual assault case outcomes. He said this amounts to an erosion of confidence in the military chain of command.
“That’s really bad for our military if that’s true, and survey and the evidence indicate it is true,” he said. “That’s a really bad situation if the enlisted force — the junior enlisted force — lacks confidence in their chain of command to be able to effectively deal with the issue of sexual assault.”
Sexual assault has long plagued the military, triggered widespread congressional condemnation and frustrated military leaders struggling to find prevention, treatment and prosecution efforts that work. The most recent of the Defense Department’s biennial anonymous surveys, done in 2018, found that more than 20,000 service members said they experienced some type of sexual assault, but only a third of those filed a formal report.
Formal reports of sexual assaults have steadily gone up since 2006, including a 13 percent jump in 2018 and a 3 percent increase in 2019, according to Pentagon data. The 2020 data is not yet available.
There have been a number of changes in the Uniform Code of Military Justice over the last decade to add more civilian oversight to the military’s prosecution of sexual assault cases and to beef up assistance for victims. But, lawmakers, including Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., have long demanded a more concrete shift, arguing that commanding officers should be stripped of the authority to decide whether serious crimes go to trial.
Those commanders, Gillibrand and others argue, are often reluctant to pursue charges against their troops, and overrule recommendations for courts martial or reduce the charges. And they say that victims consistently say they are reluctant to file complaints because they don’t believe they’ll get support from their superiors since often their attacker is in the chain of command.
Taking that prosecution authority away from commanders, however, is seen in the military as eroding a basic principle — that a commander obligated to maintain order and discipline among his troops must have the authority to decide when to prosecute cases. Thus Gillibrand was met with widespread resistance among senior officers.
Milley said he now welcomes “a fresh set of eyes” from the review commission, whose members he has spoken with directly.
“We want that,” he said, adding that he is “very open” to any and all ideas the commission puts forth.
“I’m confident that the recommendations of the independent review commission — I’m confident they’ll develop evidence-based solutions, and that would be important as we go forward,” he said.
Milley said it would be unrealistic to think that sexual assault in the military can be fully eliminated.
“Realistically, crime will occur. So zero might be an unrealistic objective, although it certainly is a desirable objective because one sexual assault is too many. But having said that, realistically, getting it to zero is probably not achievable.”
Boris Johnson hails 'new high' with India as £1billion Brexit trade deal secured
Biden raises refugee cap to 62,500 after facing criticism for keeping Trump-era levels in place
WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden announced Monday he would raise the cap on the number of refugees admitted to the United States to 62,500 for this fiscal year, following criticism last month after he announced he would preserve a Trump-era limit on that category.
“This erases the historically low number set by the previous administration of 15,000, which did not reflect America’s values as a nation that welcomes and supports refugees,” Biden said in a statement.
“It is important to take this action today to remove any lingering doubt in the minds of refugees around the world who have suffered so much, and who are anxiously waiting for their new lives to begin.”
After announcing in April that they would keep the number of refugees admitted at 15,000, and sharp criticism from Democrats, the White House abruptly shifted course, promising to announce an increased cap by May 15.
Biden notified Congress in February that he would increase the number of refugees allowed to enter the country to 62,500, but did not sign the presidential determination that would actually raise the cap.
Still, Biden said Monday that the “sad truth is that we will not achieve 62,500 admissions this year,” citing the “damage” that President Donald Trump did to the refugee program.
In the statement, Biden said he was committed to raising the cap to 125,000 refugees for the following fiscal year, which starts in October, but said that “that goal will still be hard to hit.”
Total reported cases cross 20 million
China’s push to cut carbon emissions boosts risks for the north
Folding iPhone with 8-inch screen coming in 2023, top Apple analyst predicts
Ford could produce its own EV battery cells by 2025, executive says
Microsoft Calibri font designer Luc de Groot on its replacement
Apple says it doesn’t want to be Android
Jim Cramer says these outdoor plays are a buy as the economy reopens
Australia stocks set to dip ahead of RBA rate decision
Stock futures are flat after a solid start to May
Top general drops opposition to change in military sex assault policy
Latest News6 days ago
COVID-19: Prince Charles ‘saddened’ by India coronavirus crisis and urges public to back oxygen appeal | UK News
Politics4 days ago
GOP Sen. Tim Scott says U.S. ‘not racist’ in response to Biden address
Latest News1 week ago
Fifteen people leave cave after 40 days with no phones or contact with friends and family – and most want to go back | World News
Politics5 days ago
You can't afford independence, Nicola! Tax expert silences Sturgeon – 'Sums don't add up'
World1 day ago
U.S. to discuss wider distribution, India calls to waive patent protections
Politics4 days ago
U.S. Labor Secretary says most gig workers should be classified as employees
World1 week ago
TikTok, Bumble, others are hiring college students as brand ambassadors
Latest News1 day ago
G7 leaders to meet in person for first time in two years – here’s what they’re expected to discuss | UK News