Connect with us

Latest News

Over 100 girls missing after Boko Haram attack in Nigeria

Published

on

More than 100 girls are unaccounted for after a Boko Haram terror attack in north east Nigeria, officials have said.

The Islamist militant group invaded a school in the town of Dapchi, about 45 miles south of the border with Niger, on Monday.

Of the school’s 906 students, some “110 have not been accounted for”, according to Nigeria’s information minister Lai Mohammed.

Since the attack, estimates of the number of girls missing have varied from around 50 to more than 100.

On Wednesday, the Yobe state government said dozens of the girls had been rescued, sparking celebration.

By Thursday, however, it had to admit most of them were still missing.

According to Nigerian news website The Cable, Mr Mohammed met with government and security officials, along with community leaders on Sunday.

He said: “No stone will be left un-turned in our determination to rescue these girls.

“Government will remain focused and resolute in the fight against insurgency to rescue the students and every Nigerian in their custody.”

The minister also announced that police and the Nigeria Civil Defence Corps would be deployed to schools.

Where some of the girls in the school slept
Image:
The school is in the northeastern Nigerian state of Yobe

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari said on Friday that the abduction of the girls was “a national disaster”.

He added: “We are sorry that this could have happened and share your pain.”

Witnesses told reporters that the attackers had asked for directions to the school for girls when they arrived in the town on Monday.

One of those who escaped the attack was Amina Usman, 15, who had been washing when she heard gunfire and saw what looked like soldiers in vehicles.

She ran into nearby bushes to hide before later finding a teacher and other escapees.

She said: “We were 65 girls in all.

“I thought I will never see my parents or family again.”

In 2014, Boko Haram – which roughly translates as “Western education is forbidden” – abducted 276 girls from a boarding school in Chibok.

Many of the girls were forced to marry their kidnappers.

Boko Haram fighters have killed more than 20,000 people and forced around 2 million people to flight since their insurgency began almost a decade ago.

Source link

Latest News

Tokyo Olympics: Opening ceremony was ‘respectful, hopeful but sombre night’ | World News

Published

on

Olympic opening ceremonies are something of a unique art form. Playing to a global audience but with the host nation wanting to make the night their own.

Japan chose sombre. It was a respectful, hopeful but above all sombre night. They didn’t want to show off when everyone has lived through such hardship – and while so many people continue to do so.

Their display using 1,824 flying drones combining like a swarm of giant worker bees to create a giant globe stood out.

Naomi Osaka of Japan holds the Olympic torch after lighting the Olympic cauldron
Image:
Naomi Osaka of Japan holds the Olympic torch after lighting the cauldron

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

There were no Team GB fans at the 2021 summer olympic opening ceremony in Tokyo due to COVID-19 but Japan put on a stunning visual show regardless

So too Japanese tennis superstar Naomi Osaka who was given the honour of firing up the hydrogen-fuelled Olympic cauldron.

But it was their courteous bow towards the pain of the pandemic that defined the evening.

Video montages of empty cities during lockdowns, and athletes cobbling together training regimes in their back gardens – it all made for an understated opening ceremony.

Outside, the protests in the streets continued among those still vehemently against the Games taking place while Tokyo remains in a state of COVID emergency.

More on Tokyo 2020 Olympics

There were also people outside who just felt drawn to the Olympic stadium – to come and wave to the very select numbers of VIPs and media going inside. It was as close as they could get to the Games that they had waited almost a decade for.

While these Olympics will feel unusual there were reminders too of the magic they can create.

There was a towering Tongan taekwondo player who strode into the stadium with his bare oiled chest puffed out as he carried his island nation’s flag like a warrior on a mission.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Protests held outside Olympic stadium

The Olympics can still produce special moments like that and there will be plenty more over the coming weeks.

There will be more COVID-19 disruption too but the Games of 2020 are finally open, just one year late.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Business leaders have ‘obligation to speak up’, ex-Unilever boss says amid Ben & Jerry’s row | Business News

Published

on

Unilever’s ex-boss has said business leaders have an “obligation to speak up” after his former company became embroiled in a row with Israel over its Ben & Jerry’s business.

Paul Polman mounted a defence of the need to “fight for what is right” in remarks to Sky News after the ice cream brand said it would stop selling its products in the occupied Palestinian territories.

Ben & Jerry’s is owned by consumer goods giant Unilever – whose array of brands ranges from Marmite spread to Dove soap – but has an independent board to take such decisions.

Alan Jope, Unilever chief executive
Image:
Current boss Alan Jope has spoken to Israel’s prime minister about the matter

Its announcement is one of the strongest steps taken by a well-known company over Israel’s settlements, which are widely seen as illegal by the international community.

The move drew condemnation from the Israeli government, whose new prime minister Naftali Bennett said this week that Israel would “use the tools at its disposal – including legal – on this issue” and that those taking such action “need to know that there will be a price to pay”.

Mr Polman, speaking to Sky’s Ian King Live, said it would be inappropriate to say how he would have handled the issue had he still been in charge of Unilever.

But he added: “What is very important is if we want humanity to function for the long term we need to be sure that we fight for the basic values, the basic values of dignity, respect, equity, compassion.

“If we see these values being violated anywhere in the world I think we have an obligation to speak up.

“What we’ve seen in the US in the last few years – too few people, also from the business side, spoke up against things that then bit by bit moved the boundaries and put us in a very difficult situation.

Naftali Bennett will serve as prime minister for two years
Image:
Israeli prime minister Naftali Bennett said there would be a “price to pay”

“So, fight for what is right and one of the few things we should fight for always is, these basic human rights.”

Mr Polman was speaking a day after current Unilever boss Alan Jope, in a conference call to discuss latest results, said the company remains “fully committed” to doing business in Israel but gave no indication that Unilever would press Ben & Jerry’s to reverse the decision.

Mr Jope, who has spoken to Mr Bennett on the phone to discuss the matter, said that it was a “complex and sensitive matter”.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Algerian judoka Fethi Nourine withdraws to avoid facing Israeli competitor Tohar Butbul | World News

Published

on

An Algerian judo competitor has withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympics after learning he could have faced an Israeli opponent.

Fethi Nourine said his political support for the Palestinian cause made it impossible to compete against Tohar Butbul.

He told Algerian TV he would not “get his hands dirty” and his “decision was final”.

“We worked a lot to reach the Olympics, and the news came as a shock, a thunder”, he added.

Tohar Butbul of Israel
Image:
Tohar Butbul of Israel

The 30-year-old was drawn against Sudan’s Mohamed Asdalrasool on Monday for his first match in the men’s 73kg class. If he had won that match, he would have faced Butbul, who has a first-round bye, in the next round.

Nourine also withdrew from the world championships in 2019 for the same reason.

At the time, his coach Amar Ben Yaklif was quoted in Algerian media saying: “We were unlucky with the draw. We got an Israeli opponent and that’s why we had to retire. We made the right decision.”

More on Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Tensions between Israel and Palestinians flared in Jerusalem earlier this year causing the worst violence in the region since 2014.

Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Judo - Training Sessions - Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, Japan - July 22, 2021. Technicians work on the mat in Nippon Budokan Arena, during training sessions. REUTERS/Sergio Perez
Image:
Judo training sessions take place at the Tokyo Games

The conflict between the two sides has been going on for decades and has seen athletes from Iran and Egypt also previously refuse to compete against Israeli opponents.

Follow the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

The opening ceremony for this year’s Olympic games took place on Friday, with fans not allowed in the national stadium for the event due to COVID-19 concerns.

Instead, around 1,000 dignitaries and members of the media were allowed the witness the spectacular event.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending