Connect with us

Politics

Nude photos found on phone of Nashville mayor’s ex-lover, investigators say

Published

on

Tennessee investigators say they have found nude photos of a woman on a phone belonging to Nashville Mayor Megan Barry’s former bodyguard, along with evidence of deleted messages they believe proves the pair engaged in an extramarital affair while the guard was on duty.

The probe by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is one of three inquiries into the relationship between Barry and Sgt. Rob Forrest. Barry, a Democrat, admitted to the affair Jan. 31 and has vowed to remain in office.

According to an affidavit filed Thursday in support of a search warrant for Barry’s phone, investigators have discovered 260 deleted messages and 35 calls between Forrest’s phone and a number belonging to Barry.

NASHVILLE MAYOR MEGAN BARRY ADMITS AFFAIR WITH FORMER HEAD OF SECURITY

“The deleted chats and messages between Sgt. Forrest and Megan Barry, if recovered, could provide further evidence of their activities while Sgt. Forrest reported to be on duty,” the affidavit says.

Investigators also say they have recovered two nude photos of a woman, whom they believe to be Barry, that appear to have been taken on Forrest’s city-issued phone and were recovered from his police department email. The pictures were taken on May 15 and October 17 of last year. On both dates, Forrest and Barry were in Washington D.C. together.

PANEL INVESTIGATING NASHVILLE MAYOR OVER USE OF DNC FUNDS FOR TRAVEL WITH BODYGUARD

According to the affidavit, both photos were taken while Forrest was claiming to work overtime. Earlier this month, the Tennessean newspaper reported that Forrest had received $53,000 more in overtime pay from July 2015 to January of this year than the other four officers in Barry’s security detail combined.

Barry’s attorney told the Tennessean Thursday that the TBI had acted improperly by not filing the search warrant affidavit under seal.

“Typically, search warrant affidavits remain under seal during the course of the investigation,” Jerry Martin said. “Most investigators want to keep the details of their investigation under wraps while it’s ongoing. What’s happening here? This isn’t standard procedure. It’s the opposite.”

REPORT: NASHVILLE MAYOR’S EX-LOVER OUTPACED OTHER COPS IN OVERTIME PAY

Forrest resigned from the Metro Nashville Police Department after Barry admitted to the affair. Fox 17 has reported that he will receive an $80,000 annual pension.

The TBI investigation is looking into whether any public funds were misused in violation of state law. A special committee of Nashville city council members is also probing Barry and Forrest’s travel and overtime expenses. In addition, a group of local activists has filed an ethics complaint against Barry. They claim that her relationship with Forrest compromised her in making decisions related to law enforcement.

Click for more from Fox 17.

Source link

Politics

Trump sends cease-and-desist letters to GOP campaign committees

Published

on

WASHINGTON — Attorneys for former President Donald Trump sent cease-and-desist letters Friday to three Republican organizations asking them to stop using the former president’s name and likeness in fundraising appeals and merchandise, a Trump adviser said Saturday.

The letters were sent to the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee and the National Republican Senate Committee — arms of the party tasked with raising money and shaping messaging, among other things, for the midterm elections and beyond.

The committees did not immediately respond to NBC News’ request for comment. Politico was first to report the news.

Since Trump left office, the committees have repeatedly referenced him in emails asking for donations, hoping to use the president’s popularity among some segments of the party to bolster their war chest as they work to win back control of the House and Senate in 2022.

Trump, however, has been reluctant to offer his support to the party establishment after he lost the presidency and was then impeached for a second time. Ten House Republicans voted with Democrats to impeach Trump, and seven Senate Republicans voted to convict him for allegedly inciting the deadly mob that attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6 intent on disrupting the electoral vote count formalizing Joe Biden’s election win before a joint session of Congress. While that is by far the most bipartisan support for conviction in impeachment history, the final vote was 57 to 43, 10 short of the 67 votes needed to secure a conviction.

After visiting with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort in January, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., told reporters that Trump had not committed to staying out of Republican House primaries.

At the Conservative Political Action Conference last weekend in Florida, Trump listed off the names of congressional Republicans who voted to impeach or convict him and said, “get rid of them all.”

He also told attendees “there’s only one way to contribute to our efforts” to elect Trump Republicans: donating to his PAC, or via his website.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Laurence Fox to run for London Mayor in direct challenge to Sadiq Khan's 'woke politics'

Published

on

THE actor Laurence Fox has announced that he will run for London Mayor in a bid to stop Sadiq Khan from tearing down the capital’s heritage and end lockdown early.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

In court filing, ICE says it is effectively ending use of family detention

Published

on

WASHINGTON — In a federal court filing Friday night, Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it is transitioning family detention centers to short-term facilities that will release families after no more than 72 hours.

ICE’s disclosure, made in the Flores lawsuit brought more than a decade ago on behalf of immigrant children, effectively suggests that the agency is ending family detention, a policy started under the Obama administration in 2014.

The Trump administration sought to expand family detention by holding families over 20 days, the limit imposed by the judge in the Flores case.

As of Friday, only 13 families remained in ICE detention, and seven had been scheduled for release that day. The remaining six families are scheduled to be released March 7 unless they test positive for Covid-19, in which case they will be required to remain for a quarantine period before they are released.

At the start of the Biden administration, ICE operated three family detention facilities: Two in Texas, located in Dilley and Karnes counties, and one in Pennsylvania. As of February 26, all families from the Pennsylvania facility have been released, according to the filing Friday.

The two Texas facilities will become short-term centers, while the Pennsylvania facility, Berks Family Residential Center, will no longer house families, the filing said.

In an interview with NBC News on Thursday, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said ICE detention is “not where a family belongs.”

Bridget Cambria, an immigration attorney whose firm has represented over 100 families detained at Berks since 2014, hailed ICE’s disclosure as a win for advocates, but said the agency’s policy of family detention wasn’t over until all the facilities are closed.

“The removal of parents and children from Berks is the result of years of advocacy, organizing and litigation all of which demonstrated that the detention of families is immoral and inhumane, that jailing children for any period of time is harmful and, of course, that our community absolutely rejects the idea of a babyjail in our backyard,” Cambria said.

She added: “However, we do not welcome further incarceration of human beings in ICE custody in Berks in any form. And the fight of family detention is not over until [the Department of Homeland Security] cancels its contracts with existing family detention centers in Texas, and closes Dilley and Karnes.”

NBC News previously reported that the Biden administration had planned to drastically decrease the number of immigrant families in ICE detention, paving the way for an end to the policy of family detention.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending