Connect with us

Latest News

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens indicted on invasion of privacy charge

Published

on

Missouri Republican Gov. Eric Greitens was indicted Thursday by a St. Louis grand jury on a felony invasion of privacy charge, according to a news release from Circuit Attorney Kimberly Gardner.

The charge stems from an incident that allegedly occurred in March 2015, she said.

Greitens, 43, was booked at the St. Louis Justice Center, officials confirmed to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He was released on his own recognizance, St. Louis Circuit Attorney spokeswoman Susan Ryan told The Associated Press.

According to Gardner’s news release, the grand jury “found probable cause” that Greiten broke a state law.

An investigation into Greitens’ behavior was opened in January following his admiting to an affair, reportedly beginning in March 2015.

Local reports at the time said Greitens allegedly threatened to publicize nude images of the woman he was having the extramarital relations with if she exposed their relationship, according to her ex-husband.

The man secretly recorded a conversation with his then-wife, in which she reportedly admitted to having an affair with Greitens.

While acknowledging that he was “unfaithful” in his marriage, Greitens denied allegations that he blackmailed the woman.

Gardner declined to comment to The AP but Ryan confirmed the indictment stemmed from the alleged photo.

According to the indictment, around March 21, 2015, Greitens allegedly photographed a woman identified only by her initials “in a state of full or partial nudity” without her knowledge or consent and “in a place where a person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.”

The indictment said Greitens “transmitted the image contained in the photograph in a manner that allowed access to that image via a computer,” which is a felony, according to Gardner’s release.

Greitens’ lawyers called the charges “baseless and unfounded,” in a statement to the Post-Dispatch. He’ll reportedly file a motion to dismiss the charges.

The Missouri governor was elected in November 2016.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source link

Latest News

Dutch government resigns over childcare subsidies scandal | World News

Published

on

The Dutch government led by Prime Minister Mark Rutte has resigned over a childcare subsidies scandal.

Mr Rutte, who leads the conservative People’s Party for Freedom and Democracy as part of a four-party ruling coalition, stepped down following a cabinet meeting.

In a statement, Mr Rutte said: “We are of one mind that if the whole system has failed, we all must take responsibility, and that has led to the conclusion that I have just offered the king, the resignation of the entire Cabinet.”

FILE- In this Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017, file photo, Prime Minister Mark Rute, center left, and Dutch King Willem-Alexander, center, pose with the ministers for the official photo of the new Dutch government on the steps of Royal Palace Noordeinde in The Hague, Netherlands. The Dutch Cabinet was meeting Friday Jan. 15, 2021, amid strong speculation that Prime Minister Mark Rutte's government will resign to take political responsibility for a scandal involving child benefit investigations.(AP Photo
Image:
Mark Rutte, centre left, pictured with King Willem-Alexander, centre, and other government ministers. File pic

He added that he would continue to work to compensate affected parents.

The other parties in the Netherlands’ leadership had called for Mr Rutte to go after an inquiry labelled the mismanagement a decade of “unprecedented injustice”.

The report found last month that around 10,000 families had been made to repay tens of thousands of euros of subsidies after being wrongly accused of fraud.

This lead to cases of unemployment, bankruptcy and divorce.

Previously, €500m (£445m) had been earmarked to compensate around 20,000 families.

Janet Ramesar, a parent who was waiting for the news of Mr Rutte’s resignation, said: “It’s important for me because it is the government acknowledging, ‘we have made a mistake and we are taking responsibility,’ because it’s quite something what happened to us.”

Parliamentary elections are due to be held on 17 March, with the current government expected to stay on until then in a caretaker role.

Mr Rutte is expected to lead his party to the polls, with polling suggesting it will win the most seats and in the driving position to form the next coalition.

Lodewijk Asscher, has already stepped down as the leader of the Dutch Labour Party.

While he is not in the current coalition, he had been involved in a previous government.

Mr Rutte’s resignation to King Willem-Alexander is the first government collapse in the country since 2012.

Then, it was again Mr Rutte at the helm, although that dissolution was due to disagreements over austerity measures.

The Netherlands is currently amid its tightest lockdown of the pandemic, and Mr Rutte has been considering tighter action.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Angel Cabrera: Golfer arrested in Brazil for extradition, police say | World News

Published

on

South America’s most successful golfer, Angel Cabrera, has been arrested in Brazil for extradition to his native Argentina to face charges over several alleged crimes.

The two-time major title winner, who was on Interpol’s red code list, was held by federal officers in Rio de Janeiro.

A police statement said an arrest was made in an upper class area of the city, but did not name the suspect, describing him only as a 51-year-old Argentine.

Two federal police sources based in Rio separately confirmed that Cabrera was the detained man, the Associated Press said.

The arrest was authorised by Brazil’s top court and the man will be held until he is returned to Argentina, the police statement said.

Officials in Argentina have charged a suspect with assault, theft, illegal intimidation and repeated disrespect to authorities between 2016 and last year, the statement added.

Cabrera’s former wife, Silva Rivadero, filed two charges against the golfer, Argentinian media reported earlier this month.

Another former partner of his, Cecilia Torres, had also made claims against the golfer, the reports added.

Cabrera won the US Open in 2007 and the Masters two years later and has tournament victories on both the PGA and European tours.

He has most recently been active on the PGA Tour Champions circuit for players aged over 50.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

New York bus crash: Nine injured after vehicle plunges 49ft off bridge and into underpass | US News

Published

on

At least nine people were left needing hospital treatment after a bus fell 15m (49ft) off a bridge and into an underpass in New York.

The articulated passenger transport – like a bendy bus – crashed at about 11pm local time on Thursday.

The nine people rescued suffered non-life threatening injuries, according to the Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY), with the driver believed to be among them.

A bus in New York City careened off a road in the Bronx neighborhood of New York and was left dangling from an overpass Friday, Jan. 15, 2021, after a crash late Thursday that left the driver in serious condition, police said. (AP Photo/Craig Ruttle)
Image:
The bus plunged 15m down into an underpass

Photos from the scene showed the blue bus with its front half broken through a railing and touching the tarmac below.

The back end of the vehicle is seen stationary on the level above, with the two ends held together by the torn articulation.

A bus in New York City careened off a road in the Bronx neighborhood of New York and was left dangling from an overpass Friday, Jan. 15, 2021, after a crash late Thursday that left the driver in serious condition, police said. (AP Photo/Craig Ruttle)
Image:
Nine people were left injured after the crash

In a video from the crash, which happened in the Bronx, people can be heard saying the scene was “like in a movie”.

Superheroes like Spiderman have often been seen stopping public transport from plunging to the roads below in New York.

A bus in New York City careened off a road in the Bronx neighborhood of New York and was left dangling from an overpass Friday, Jan. 15, 2021, after a crash late Thursday that left the driver in serious condition, police said. (AP Photo/Craig Ruttle)
Image:
The incident happened around 11pm local time

A spokesman from the police said the bus driver was “unable to navigate the roadway and went off the road”.

A bus in New York City careened off a road in the Bronx neighborhood of New York and was left dangling from an overpass Friday, Jan. 15, 2021, after a crash late Thursday that left the driver in serious condition, police said. (AP Photo/Craig Ruttle)
Image:
Witnesses said that it was like something from a film

FDNY deputy chief Paul Hopper, who oversaw the medical side of the incident, said: “The bus fell approximately 50ft [15.2m] onto the access road.

“The patients suffered injuries consistent with a fall from such a great height.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending