Connect with us

Politics

Pennsylvania GOP slams election-map ‘power grab’ as ‘judicial activism,’ will challenge

Published

on

Pennsylvania Republicans, egged on by President Trump, on Tuesday blasted a court decision to impose new congressional maps as a “power grab” by Democrats and vowed to challenge the move in federal court.

“This map constitutes a new standard for judicial activism,” Pennsylvania Republican Party Chairman Val DiGiorgio said in a statement. “This power grab is an affront to over 200 years of precedent and nothing short of judicial-mandering.”

The Democratic-majority state Supreme Court voted 4-3 on Monday to impose the new congressional district map it drew, seen as a boost for Democrats.

The map of Pennsylvania’s 18 congressional districts is to be in effect for the May 15 primary and substantially overhauls a Republican-drawn map widely viewed as among the nation’s most gerrymandered.

NewPAmap7201

The revised congressional map submitted by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court Monday.

 (Pennsylvania Supreme Court)

The decision swiftly drew national attention on Monday. And on Tuesday, President Trump urged state Republicans to challenge it.

“Hope Republicans in the Great State of Pennsylvania challenge the new ‘pushed’ Congressional Map, all the way to the Supreme Court, if necessary. Your Original was correct! Don’t let the Dems take elections away from you so that they can raise taxes & waste money!” he tweeted.

DiGiorgio said, “I expect we will be challenging this in federal court.” 

Further, National Republican Congressional Committee spokesman Matt Gorman said in a statement that “State and federal GOP officials will sue in federal court as soon as tomorrow” in a bid to block the new map, claiming it has “created chaos, confusion, and unnecessary expense.”

Pamap2011

Pennsylvania’s current congressional map, drawn in 2011.

 (Pennsylvania Supreme Court)

DiGiorgio also accused the court of causing “chaos” by drawing residents into new districts and candidates out of their old districts, while allegedly diluting GOP voters.

“The Pennsylvania Supreme Court, by acting as judge, executive and legislature has trampled on the concept of separation of powers and violated the Pennsylvania and U.S. Constitution,” he said.

Democrats similarly have claimed Republicans were carefully drawing districts to favor their own, especially in Philadelphia’s suburbs.

There, Republicans have held seats in bizarrely contorted districts, including one labeled “Goofy Kicking Donald Duck.”

The court ruled last month that Republicans who redrew district boundaries in 2011 unconstitutionally put partisan interests above neutral line-drawing criteria. It was the first time any state court threw out congressional boundaries in a partisan gerrymandering case, this one brought by registered Democratic voters and the League of Women Voters last June.

The new map reunifies Democratic-heavy cities that had been split by Republican map drawers six years ago.

“It remedies the outrageous gerrymander of 2011, and that’s the important thing, that the gerrymander be over,” said David Landau, the Democratic Party chairman of Delaware County, site of the “Goofy Kicking Donald Duck” district. “All that zigging and zagging is all gone, and it makes Delaware County a competitive seat now.”

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court had a Monday deadline to come up with a redistricting map.

Republicans have won 13 of the 18 congressional seats in the last three election cycles when the current, now invalidated, map took effect.

Pennsylvania Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf praised the court decision and said residents are “are sick and tired of gerrymandering.”

“Now, my focus will be on making sure the Department of State can support our counties and all candidates in the election process, particularly during the petition period. My administration will work expeditiously to update Department of State systems and ensure all processes are in place to assist candidates for Congress,” he said in a statement. 

Fox News’ Bill Mears, Michelle Chavez and Eric Strain and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

 

Source link

Politics

Welsh politicians SHAMED for ‘flouting’ coronavirus rules with private lockdown rager

Published

on

FOUR Welsh politicians have broken coronavirus rules by secretly gathering in Wales’ Parliament and drinking from an open bar, it has been claimed.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump won’t hand Biden the nuclear football. Here’s how the handoff will happen.

Published

on

When he is sworn in on Wednesday, President-elect Joe Biden will get the nuclear “football” — an oddly shaped 45-pound briefcase that is always at the president’s command and control of the nation’s massive nuclear arsenal.

A military aide carrying the “football” remains physically close to the president, ready to carry out a well-rehearsed choreography of command and control.

Smithsonian Magazine reported that is it officially called the “president’s emergency satchel,” and is built around a “sturdy aluminum frame, encased in black leather.” But, the magazine noted, unlike in the movies, it does not have a big red button for launching a nuclear war.

However, for the first time, the outgoing president, Donald Trump, will not handoff the black leather case to the incoming president. Typically, the handoff of the football from the outgoing president to the newly sworn in president takes place at the inauguration ceremony at the Capitol.

Since Trump is planning to be in Florida when Biden is sworn in, the handoff will happen differently. This is the first time in the nuclear age that a sitting president hasn’t attended his successor’s inauguration.

A U.S. official told NBC News that a military aide will accompany Trump to Florida with one of the footballs, and until 11:59:59 a.m, Wednesday, Jan. 20, Trump will retain sole authority to launch a nuclear strike. Trump being physically out of Washington will not affect his launch authority or access to the nuclear football, until noon. (There are multiple footballs that allow a president to launch a military strike while traveling.)

Another military aide with a second nuclear football will hand over that authority to Biden once he is sworn in, the official said, and the military aide with Trump will bring the football back to Washington.

The football for Biden will be on hand for him at noon on Wednesday.

A military aide carries the president’s nuclear football in his right hand as President Donald Trump returns to the White House on March 30, 2019.Olivier Douliery / AFP – Getty Images file

NBC News contributor and retired Admiral James Stavridis said at noon, the football with Biden will become the one that’s “activated” in the sense that U.S. Strategic Command would go to that one if something happened where it was needed.

“Right before he becomes president there’s a football in his vicinity [that] is activated,” Stavridis said of Biden.

The White House declined to comment, saying it is a security matter.

In a 2013 documentary by Discovery Channel, former Vice President Dick Cheney describes the moment, as it typically unfolds.

“The passing of the football occurs at high noon. Nobody says a word, but I knew what to look for,” he said. “So you’ve got the ceremony going down front, but … sort of behind one of the big pillars there in the front, these two guys are standing there in their uniform, and at the right moment he reaches over to hands it to the newly designated military aide. And he takes it from that moment on. The new president is the guy who’s in control of our nuclear assets.”

There were some unusual events surrounding the “football” under the different commanders-in-chief, presidential historian Michael Beschloss, also an NBC News contributor, noted.

“[The] location of football was an issue when JFK assassinated in Dallas, Reagan’s nuclear code card was accidentally thrown out at the hospital after he was shot in 1981, Clinton lost his nuclear code card for a few months in 2000,” he said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Theresa May BLASTS Boris Johnson as ‘moral failure’ in post-Brexit British values snub

Published

on

THERESA MAY has lashed out at Boris Johnson for his record as Prime Minister, accusing him of abandoning Britain’s “position of global moral leadership”.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending