Connect with us

Latest News

Elon Musk gets the OK to dig in abandoned DC lot

Published

on

Elon Musk’s dream of building a hyperloop that can move people between Washington, DC, and New York City in 29 minutes may be a small step closer to becoming a distant reality.

A Nov. 29 permit issued by DC’s Department of Transportation allows Musk’s Boring Company to dig at an abandoned lot beside a McDonald’s in northeast Washington that the company says might eventually become a station on a hyperloop connecting NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington.

The system would speed up travel times, using electricity and electromagnetic levitation to send people and cars whipping through tunnels in pods. But before you ditch your car, the Washington Post points out the permit is only for “some preparatory and excavation work” at the site, and more permits are needed before any real construction begins.

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser has visited a test tunnel Musk is constructing under Los Angeles. But though “we’re open to the concept of moving people around the region more efficiently … we’re just beginning, in the mayor’s office, our conversation to get an understanding of what the general vision is for Hyperloop,” says Bowser’s chief of staff, John Falcicchio.

Still, the permit “is comparable to an athlete stretching before a race” and shows Musk is serious about moving forward with his plans for high-speed travel since claiming “verbal” government support for an East Coast hyperloop last July, reports TechCrunch.

He’s also received a conditional permit to build a tunnel beneath Maryland Route 295 in Hawthorne, per the Post, with Maryland officials saying a leg linking Washington and Baltimore will come first.

(Read about the hyperloop pod’s first test.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Elon Musk’s Hyperloop Makes Headway in DC

Source link

Latest News

Climate change: 2020 was the warmest year on record in Europe, study finds | Climate News

Published

on

2020 was the warmest year on record in Europe, a major climate study has found.

Greenhouse gases are at their highest levels in 18 years, the European State of the Climate report said.

Concentrations of CO2 and CH4 rose by 0.6% and nearly 0.8% respectively, putting them at their highest annual levels since at least 2003 when satellite observations started.

2020 saw the warmest year, winter, and autumn on record for Europe. Pic: Copernicus Climate Change Service
Image:
2020 saw the warmest year, winter, and autumn on record for Europe. Pic: Copernicus Climate Change Service

Not only was 2020 one of the three warmest years on record across the world, but the last six years were the warmest six on record.

Europe’s annual temperature in 2020 was the highest on record – at least 0.4C (0.72F) warmer than the next five warmest years, which were all in the last decade.

Last year saw the largest number of sunshine hours in Europe since satellite records began in 1983.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The Daily Climate Show

Winter, which was 3.4C (5.76F) above average, was the warmest on record and the same was true of autumn.

More from Daily Climate Show

Snow cover and sea ice levels were affected in northeastern Europe, where it was especially warm, researchers from the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) said.

Several heatwaves occurred affecting different regions each month, but they were not as intense, widespread, or long-lived as others of recent years.

Globally, 2020 was one of three warmest years on record, with the last six years being the warmest six on record. Pic: Copernicus Climate Change Service
Image:
Globally, 2020 was one of three warmest years on record, with the last six years being the warmest six on record. Pic: Copernicus Climate Change Service

Parts of northwestern and northeastern Europe saw a “remarkable transition… from a wet winter to a dry spring, affecting river discharge, soil moisture conditions and vegetation growth”, the report added.

Several heavy rainfall events brought record rainfall and led to above-average river discharge across much of western Europe, in turn causing flooding in some regions.

Storm Alex, in early October, broke one-day rainfall records in the UK, northwestern France and in the southern Alps.

Devastating flooding was seen in some regions of western Europe.

Greenhouse gas concentrations continued to rise and are at their highest annual levels since at least 2003. Pic: Copernicus Climate Change Service
Image:
Greenhouse gas concentrations continued to rise and are at their highest annual levels since at least 2003. Pic: Copernicus Climate Change Service

It was the second warmest year on record for the Arctic as a whole and the warmest in Arctic Siberia, where record-breaking wildfires occurred.

But in March, a polar vortex caused depletion in the Arctic’s ozone.

Northern Siberia and adjacent parts of the Arctic experienced the largest above average annual temperatures, which reached 6C (10.8F) above average.

Carlo Buontempo, director of C3S, said: “It is more important than ever that we use the available information to act, to mitigate and adapt to climate change and accelerate our efforts to reduce future risks.”

Matthias Petschke, from the European Commission, said: “Achieving a climate neutral economy requires the full mobilisation of society, governments and industry.”

The Daily Climate Show
Image:
The Daily Climate Show

Sky News broadcasts the first daily prime time news show dedicated to climate change.

Hosted by Anna Jones, The Daily Climate Show is following Sky News correspondents as they investigate how global warming is changing our landscape and how we all live our lives.

The show will also highlight solutions to the crisis and show how small changes can make a big difference.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

‘Pervasive racism’ blamed for unequal treatment of black and Asian war casualties | UK News

Published

on

Up to 350,000 predominantly black and Asian service personnel have not been formally remembered in the same way as their white comrades.

An investigation has blamed “pervasive racism” for the failure to properly commemorate at least 116,000 but up to 350,000 people who died fighting for the British Empire.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has apologised and vowed to act immediately to correct the situation.

The report, obtained by the PA news agency and due to be published in full later today, found that the casualties – mainly from the First World War – were “not commemorated by name or possibly not commemorated at all”.

Most of them were commemorated by memorials that did not carry their names.

An estimated 45,000 to 54,000 Asian and African casualties were also “commemorated unequally”.

This meant some were commemorated collectively on memorials – unlike those in Europe – and others who were missing were only recorded in registers, rather than on stone.

The job of commemorating the war dead belongs to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, originally named the Imperial War Graves Commission.

The report was compiled by a special committee, established by the CWGC in 2019 after a critical documentary about the issue.

According to the report, the failure to properly commemorate the individuals was “influenced by a scarcity of information, errors inherited from other organisations and the opinions of colonial administrators”.

“Underpinning all these decisions, however, were the entrenched prejudices, preconceptions and pervasive racism of contemporary imperial attitudes,” it added.

The report gave the example of a 1923 communication between FG Guggisberg, the governor of what is now Ghana, and the commission’s Arthur Browne.

The governor had said “the average native of the Gold Coast would not understand or appreciate a headstone,” as he argued for collective memorials.

Mr Browne’s response showed “what he may have considered foresight, but one that was explicitly framed by contemporary racial prejudice”, according to the report.

He had said: “In perhaps two or three hundred years’ time, when the native population had reached a higher stage of civilisation, they might then be glad to see that headstones had been erected on the native graves and that the native soldiers had received precisely the same treatment as their white comrades.”

In its response to the report, the CWGC said it “acknowledges that the commission failed to fully carry out its responsibilities at the time and accepts the findings and failings identified in this report and we apologise unreservedly for them”.

CWGC director general Claire Horton said: “The events of a century ago were wrong then and are wrong now.

“We recognise the wrongs of the past and are deeply sorry and will be acting immediately to correct them.”

David Lammy, the shadow justice secretary, said: “No apology can ever make up for the indignity suffered by the unremembered.

“However, this apology does offer the opportunity for us as a nation to work through this ugly part of our history – and properly pay our respects to every soldier who has sacrificed their life for us.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

COVID-19: India sets record for new coronavirus cases in a single day | World News

Published

on

India has reported more than 300,000 new coronavirus cases in a 24-hour period – the biggest one-day total seen anywhere in the world since the pandemic began.

The country’s health ministry said there had been 314,835 new cases on Thursday, a number that passes the previous record – 297,430 in the US in January.

The previous day, India had reported 295,041 new COVID-19 cases.

India’s number of deaths rose by 2,104 to reach a total of 184,657.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said earlier this week that India was facing a coronavirus “storm” which was overwhelming its health system.

Hospitals are facing a severe shortage of beds and oxygen, with some private hospitals in Delhi warning they have less than two hours’ supply of the gas.

People have crowded into refilling facilities, trying to refill empty oxygen cylinders for relatives in hospital.

At least 22 patients in western India died on Wednesday when the oxygen supply to their ventilators ran out due to a leak.

There have even been instances of looting oxygen tankers.

Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Mr Modi has been criticised for allowing big gatherings such as weddings and festivals where crowds can mix in confined spaces.

He has also addressed packed political rallies for local elections, speaking to millions of people.

Despite the fact that hospitals are struggling, Mr Modi said earlier this week that state governments should not impose a harsh lockdown.

Instead, he suggested micro-containment zones in an effort to avoid damaging the economy.

But the state of Maharashtra has strengthened its restrictions until at least the beginning of May.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Patients dies after oxygen tank leaks

All offices – except those providing essential services – must operate with no more than 15% of their staff.

Travel by private vehicle is only allowed for medical emergencies.

And only medical workers and government employees can ride on the trains.

So far, India has administered nearly 130 million doses of the vaccine but this is still a small effort when compared with its population of 1.35 billion.

Currently, only frontline workers and those aged above 45 are eligible but all adults are expected to be allowed a dose from May.

There could be delays ahead, with the country’s Serum Institute warning that it will not be able to reach 100 million doses per month until July, compared with its previous forecast of late May.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending