Connect with us

Latest News

South African President Jacob Zuma refuses to resign despite being sacked by party

Published

on

South Africa’s embattled president is facing huge pressure to resign, after his party issued a “final” demand he stand down.

Jacob Zuma has defied calls from the African National Congress (ANC) to quit, bidding to stay on for between three and six months.

Despite “exhaustive discussions” between the leader and his party, they have failed to agree a departure timetable.

ANC general secretary Ace Magashule announced on Tuesday he expected Mr Zuma to “heed” an “order to leave”.

South African ruling Party African National Congress Secretary General Ace Magashule gives a press briefing on February 13, 2018 on the outcome of the ANC National Executive Committee, in Johannesburg at the African National Congress Headquarters.
Image:
Ace Magashule said a vote to sack Mr Zuma was ‘final’

Talks have resumed and the 75-year-old will respond on Wednesday to a vote by the party’s ruling National Executive Committee to sack him.

But despite further negotiations being planned, Mr Magashule said the decision to remove him is “final”.

If Mr Zuma continues fighting the bid to oust him, it could force a vote of no confidence in parliament.

The ANC wants Cyril Ramaphosa to take over from Jacob Zuma
Image:
Cyril Ramaphosa won an election to replace Mr Zuma in December

Officials had hoped for a smoother exit because it is an election year next year.

In local polls in 2016, the ANC recorded its worst electoral result since coming to power in 1994.

Mr Zuma’s hold over the ANC was shaken at the end of 2017, when his chosen successor – his former wide – narrowly lost the contest to replace him.

The man elected instead was Cyril Ramaphosa, ANC deputy president and a former trade unionist who was a key ally of Nelson Mandela.

Source link

Latest News

India: Head of ‘world’s largest family’ Ziona Chana dies – leaving behind 39 wives and 94 children | World News

Published

on

A man said to be the head of the world’s largest family has died in northeastern India.

Ziona Chana had 39 wives, 94 children and 33 grandchildren – all of whom lived together in a four-storey pink house with about 100 rooms in Baktawng in Mizoram state.

The 76-year-old was the leader of a local Christian sect, named Chana, founded by his father in 1942 and with a current membership of hundreds of families.

Ziona married his first wife when he was 17 and claimed he once married 10 women in a year.

They shared a dormitory near his private bedroom and locals said he liked to have seven or eight of them by his side at all times.

The chief minister of Mizoram confirmed his death on Twitter, saying the village of Baktawng had become a “major tourist attraction” because of the family.

With a total of 167 members, the family is the world’s largest, according to local media, although this depends on whether you count Mr Chana’s grandchildren.

In a 2011 interview with Reuters, Ziona said: “I am ready to expand my family and willing to go to any extent to marry.

“I have so many people to care for and look after, and I consider myself a lucky man.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Vladimir Putin: ‘Where is the proof’ Russia is waging a cyber war against the United States? | World News

Published

on

Russian leader Vladimir Putin has denied claims his country is waging a cyber war against the United States.

In an exclusive interview with NBC News, the Russian president rebuffed accusations Russian hackers, or the government itself, is using technological warfare against America – as baseless.

He said claims his country was involved in cyber attacks had become “farcical”, asking: “Where is the evidence? Where is the proof?”

Mr Navalny at a court hearing earlier this year
Image:
Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny remains in prison

“We have been accused of all kinds of things: election interference, cyber attacks and so on and so forth. And not once, not one time did they bother to produce any kind of evidence or proof,” he said.

Evidence has been put forward by US intelligence services of Russian hackers targeting the federal government and meddling in US elections.

Mr Putin also denied ordering the poisoning of Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny.

Pressed on whether he had any involvement, he said: “Look, such decisions in this country are not made by the president.”

Russian intelligence services have been accused of poisoning Mr Navalny, who survived the incident but now remains in a Russian prison.

Asked whether the former opposition leader would make it out of prison alive, Mr Putin said: “He will not be treated any worse than anybody else.”

Joe Biden will be meeting Vladimir Putin on Wednesday
Image:
Joe Biden will be meeting Vladimir Putin on Wednesday

Mr Putin’s comments come just two days before he and Joe Biden are due to sit down for talks in Geneva on Wednesday.

The US president will be fresh from his meeting with NATO leaders, who have signalled that Russia remains a security risk to Western allies.

In his interview with NBC, Mr Putin said Russia would be willing to engage with other countries including the US and would value “predictability and stability”.

The Russian president has made no secret that he supported Mr Biden’s predecessor Donald Trump, who he called “extraordinary” and “talented”.

Mr Putin and Mr Biden have had somewhat more rocky relations, with the current US president agreeing when asked whether he thought the Russian president was a killer.

When this was put to Mr Putin, he replied: “Over my tenure, I’ve gotten used to attacks from all kinds of angles. And none of it surprises me.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Finke Desert Race crash: Spectator killed and two injured at Australian off-road event | World News

Published

on

A man has died and two others have been injured after a car crashed into spectators during a race in Australia.

The car, which was taking part in the 285-mile (460km) Finke Desert Race, struck a group of people around 22 miles (35km) from the finish.

A 60-year-old man died at the scene.

A man in his 50s was seriously injured and taken to Alice Springs Hospital, while the driver, a woman in her 50s, suffered minor injuries, Northern Territory police confirmed.

Police have issued an appeal for information as they continue to investigate the circumstances.

Motorsport Australia issued a statement calling it “tragic news” and offering “sympathies to the families, friends and all those impacted”.

The governing body also said it would begin its own investigation and provide counselling to all competitors, officials and people associated with the race.

The track is described on its website as having a “reputation for being one of the most difficult off-road courses in one of the most remote places in the world”.

The two-day off-road, multi-terrain race for motorcycles, cars, buggies and quads through desert country between Alice Springs and the town of Aputula, also known as Finke, takes place every June.

The car section of the race has now been cancelled.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending