Connect with us

Latest News

Chicago TV station mixes up P.F. Chang’s and Pyeongchang in Winter Olympics graphic

Published

on

Pyeongchang is a city in South Korea where the 2018 Winter Olympics is being held, and P.F. Chang’s is a popular Asian-inspired restaurant chain — but somehow a local news station in Chicago got the two names confused.

WLS-Ch. 7, an ABC affiliate in Chicago, had viewers scratching their heads Saturday when it showed a graphic that said “P.F. Chang 2018” with an incorrect Olympics logo while talking about the Winter Games in South Korea. Weekend anchor Mark Rivera appeared on-air reading a series of news stories with the graphic in the right corner, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Jayme Nicholas, a spokeswoman for the news station, apologized for the image and told the Chicago Tribune the graphic was merely a “mix-up.” The “P.F. Chang 2018” graphic was supposed to be used for a “satirical piece” that sports anchor Mark Giangreco created Friday.

The graphic, however, was then accidentally used for the real news on the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, the station said.

The “P.F. Chang 2018” graphic brought an onslaught of mockery on social media, with many first questioning if it was real.

“P.F. Chang’s.. Bringing the world together in 2018,” one user wrote.

Another person tweeted, “I may not be an athlete competing in Pyongyang, but I definitely compete in P.F. Chang’s”

“Please tell me this didn’t really happen,” one user tweeted, to which someone else replied: “@PFChangs if team USA gets over 35 medals, can you give away some free food?”

The restaurant chain, which has more than 210 locations in the U.S., eventually joined in on the fun, tweeting: “Contrary to this broadcast, we’re not hosting the games.”

The chain also replied “Looks like someone was hungry” when another person asked them about their input on the image. 

Katherine Lam is a breaking and trending news digital producer for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter at @bykatherinelam

Source link

Latest News

British child caught up in Islamic State conflict rescued from Syria | World News

Published

on

The UK has rescued a British child from Syria as part of efforts to help unaccompanied or orphaned minors caught up in the fallout from the conflict with Islamic State.

A repatriation team left Syria with the child on Tuesday, Sky News understands.

The rescue mission was led by Martin Longden, the UK’s Syria envoy.

Further details about the child’s identity cannot be reported for legal reasons.

Last year the Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the UK would take “the necessary and secure steps” to repatriate minors who are unaccompanied or whose parents have been killed.

“These are children who have experienced the worst horrors of war and bringing them home is the right thing to do,” he said in a statement.

Dominic Raab skirts around issue of Jamal Khashoggi and Saudi Arabia
Image:
In November 2019 Dominic Raab said bring the children back to the UK was ‘the right thing to do’

The UK has already brought home a small number of British children from northeast Syria where thousands of men, women and infants from dozens of different countries have been held in camps since the collapse of Islamic State’s self-proclaimed caliphate.

It is understood that there are more British minors in these displacement camps.

Save the Children, a UK charity, said last year that as many as 60 British children might be stranded. But it is not clear how many of that number are on their own or how many are still with one or both parents.

The British government has so far resisted pressure to repatriate men and women – including suspected fighters – who travelled to Syria from the UK to join Islamic State but are now stuck in the camps or in crowded detention centres, guarded by Kurdish forces.

US President Donald Trump has long called on countries, including the UK, to take back their IS-linked nationals from Syria and prosecute or rehabilitate them back home.

It is a topic that might come up when Mr Raab meets with his US counterpart, Mike Pompeo, on Wednesday during a trip to Washington.



shamima begum







2019: IS bride Shamima Begum pleas for return to UK

One of the most high-profile cases for the UK is of Shamima Begum, a London schoolgirl who joined Islamic State with two friends in 2015 when she was just 15.

She lived under IS rule before ending up last year at a displacement camp heavily pregnant, having already lost two other children. Her third child also died shortly after he was born.

Ms Begum’s British citizenship was revoked – a decision that she is challenging in a legal battle that is due to be heard by the UK’s highest court, the Supreme Court.

Alexanda Kotey (left) and Shafee Elsheikh
Image:
Alexanda Kotey (left) and Shafee Elsheikh are alleged to have been part of the killing squad dubbed the Beatles

Another high-profile case is of two men from the UK who are accused of being part of an IS kidnap and hostage-killing group dubbed the Beatles.

The US is seeking to put Alexanda Kotey and El Shafee Elsheikh on trial. The men are currently being held by US forces in Iraq.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

PM’s Operation Moonshot plan ‘can be done’, says Chinese company behind new 30-minute COVID-19 test | World News

Published

on

Boris Johnson’s moonshot testing programme “can be done”, according to a Chinese company which has developed a new 30-minute COVID-19 test.

The firm’s founder told Sky News it could provide the capacity to test one million people in the UK each day within a month.

Sabrina Li, the founder and chief executive of biotech company Coyote, said: “If Boris Johnson calls me, I’d say; ‘Hi Boris, we are ready to help the UK’.

“I think we have the best technology and we are definitely willing to help.”

A Chinese company has developed a new 30-minute COVID test
Image:
The company demonstrated the test at its lab in Beijing

At the end of July, Coyote won approval in China for its rapid testing instrument, which it believes to be the fastest polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test in the world.

The company demonstrated the test to Sky News at its lab in Beijing, with results produced in half an hour and delivered to a phone a few minutes later.

Around 500 units are now being used in hospitals and airports across China.

A Chinese company has developed a new 30-minute COVID test
Image:
The results of the COVID-19 test can be delivered to a phone within minutes

During recent COVID-19 outbreaks in Beijing, Dalian and Urumqi this summer, it carried out 500,000 tests as part of its validation process.

Ms Li said: “For this kind of new test, everyone will have doubts. Is it precise or good enough?

“Although it’s quick, is it good enough? So we keep answering this kind of question to the professionals and the experts and then finally we pass [the Chinese government’s] test.”

Sabrina Li is the founder and chief executive of biotech company Coyote
Image:
Sabrina Li is the founder and chief executive of biotech company Coyote

Ms Li said that the rapid test meets the same standards for sensitivity and specificity as slower tests.

The 30-minute test is not designed to replace less rapid, mass testing, which is required to chart the spread of COVID-19 through a population and doesn’t depend on a quick turnaround.

But rapid testing has applications in time critical situations like hospitals and border control.

Ms Li said: “The point of care tests like the 30 minute test is; let’s say if you got to the hospital and there is an emergency for the patient, they want to go to the ICU or even to operation very, very soon, then you need that short period of time to get that COVID-19 negative result, so that the nurses and doctors won’t get infected.”

A combination of slow and rapid testing means it’s feasible to test 10 million people per day in the UK, one of the reported goals of the UK government’s Operation Moonshot.



Boris Johnson Downing presser







Ambition for ‘millions’ of tests per day

“It requires a lot of equipment,” Ms Li told Sky News. “But it can be done.”

If 10 swab samples are batched together in one tube – an approved method in China – 500 Coyote machines could provide 2,000 30-minute tests per day, meaning one million daily tests.

The technology is also relatively simple to operate compared to more traditional PCR tests, which could take pressure off UK testing facilities currently under strain.

A Chinese company has developed a new 30-minute COVID test
Image:
The rapid tests can be used in time critical situations such as hospitals and border control


Ms Li said: “For our test you can just train a nurse, even a layman to do it, and it’s very simple to operate.

“After training for maybe half an hour, you could operate it.”

Two machines are currently being validated in the UK through its Hong Kong-based partner, Prenetics, which is also carrying out COVID-19 testing for the Premier League.

Coyote expects approval by the end of the month.

Ms Li said Prenetics is speaking to FIFA about using the machine for the 2022 World Cup.



Boris Johnson Downing presser







Ambition for ‘millions’ of tests per day

The company can currently produce 500 units per month at its Beijing facility and is aiming to increase capacity to 1,000 per month by the end of the year.

Ms Li added: “For this kind of instrument it actually has all these different controls – electrical, thermal, optical. And also biochemical reactions.

“It’s not as simple as a cell phone, so it’s not at that scale. It’s a medical device, a very complex medical device.”

Each instrument costs 350,000RMB, approximately £40,000.

Demand is high and the machines are currently sold out. But the Chinese government is providing support, including increased access to materials and components.

Ms Li said: “They are helping to increase our ability to manufacture, so that we can not only provide China or the Chinese people, we can provide our technology worldwide.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Barbados to remove Queen as head of state next year | World News

Published

on

Barbados has announced its intention to remove the Queen as its head of state and become a republic next year.

The Caribbean island said it wants “full sovereignty” by the time it celebrates its 55th anniversary of independence from the UK in November 2021.

A speech written by Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley quoted its first premier Errol Barrow who warned against “loitering on colonial premises”.

The Queen with governor-general of Barbados Dame Sandra Mason in 2018
Image:
The Queen met Barbados’ governor-general Dame Sandra Mason at Buckingham Palace in 2018

Reading the speech, Barbados’ governor-general Dame Sandra Mason said: “The time has come to fully leave our colonial past behind.

“Barbadians want a Barbadian head of state.

“This is the ultimate statement of confidence in who we are and what we are capable of achieving.

“Hence, Barbados will take the next logical step toward full sovereignty and become a republic by the time we celebrate our 55th anniversary of independence.”

BARBADOS - NOVEMBER 01:  Queen Elizabeth ll smiles with a young girl in Barbados on November 01, 1977 in Barbados. (Photo by Anwar Hussein/Getty Images)
Image:
The Queen pictured during a tour of Barbados in 1977

The country gained its independence from Britain in 1966, though the Queen remains its constitutional monarch.

In 1998, a Barbados constitutional review commission recommended republican status, and in 2015 Prime Minister Freundel Stuart said “we have to move from a monarchical system to a republican form of government in the very near future”.

18th February 1966:  The Queen and Prince Philip driving through Barbados waving to the crowds.  (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images)
Image:
The Queen and Prince Philip wave to the crowds in Barbados in 1966

Most Caribbean countries have kept formal links with the monarchy after achieving independence.

Barbados would join Trinidad and Tobago, Dominica and Guyana if it proceeds with its plan to become a republic.

Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness has also said it is a priority of his government, but he has yet to achieve it.

Barbados took another step towards independence from the UK in 2003 when it replaced the London-based Judicial Committee of the Privy Council with the Caribbean Court of Justice, located in Trinidad and Tobago’s Port of Spain, as its final appeals court.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending