Connect with us

World

Rouhani says plans in place for any Trump decision

Published

on

President of Iran Hassan Rouhani addresses during the cabinet meeting in Tehran, Iran on December 31, 2017.

Iranian Presidency |Anadolu Agency | Getty Images

President of Iran Hassan Rouhani addresses during the cabinet meeting in Tehran, Iran on December 31, 2017.

President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday Iran had plans to respond to any move by U.S. President Donald Trump on the 2015 nuclear agreement and the United States would regret a decision to exit the accord.

Trump has said unless European allies rectify “flaws” in Tehran’s nuclear agreement with world powers by May 12 he will refuse to extend U.S. sanctions relief for Iran.

“We have plans to resist any decision by Trump on the nuclear accord,” Rouhani said in a speech carried live by state television.

“Orders have been issued to our atomic energy organisation … and to the economic sector to confront America’s plots against our country,” Rouhani told a rally in northeast Iran.

“America is making a mistake if it leaves the nuclear accord,” Rouhani said.

Britain, France and Germany remain committed to the nuclear accord but, in an effort to keep Washington in it, want to open talks on Iran’s ballistic missile program, its nuclear activities beyond 2025 — when key provisions of the deal expire – and its role in Middle East crises such as Syria and Yemen.

“We will not negotiate with anyone about our weapons and defenses, and we will make and store as many weapons, facilities and missiles as we need,” Rouhani said, reiterating a rejection by Iranian leaders of talks on Iran’s missile program which Tehran says is defensive.

Source link

World

Millions of new investors piled into Chinese stock markets in 2020

Published

on

Continue Reading

World

Qualcomm chip market share plunges in China after U.S. sanctions on Huawei

Published

on

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 888 chip will be used in premium Android devices that could cost over $1000.

Qualcomm

Qualcomm’s market share of China’s smartphone chip market plunged in 2020 due to U.S. sanctions on Huawei, according to a new report.

As a result, the country’s domestic mobile players turned to alternatives such as Taiwan’s MediaTek, according to CINNO Research.

Last year, 307 million smartphone so-called system on chips (SOC) were shipped in China, down 20.8% year-on-year, the report said.

SOC is a type of semiconductor that contains many components required for a device to work on a single chip, such as a processor. They are a critical component for smartphones.

Qualcomm’s shipments in China shrank 48.1% year-on-year, CINNO Research said without releasing details on the number of Qualcomm chips shipped. The U.S. giant’s market share in China fell to 25.4% in 2020 versus 37.9% in 2019.

MediaTek No. 1

Taiwan’s MediaTek benefited from all that pent-up demand. The chip designer took advantage of Huawei and Qualcomm’s woes, and also got major Chinese smartphone makers to use its chips.

“As far as we know, (for) OPPO, Vivo and Xiaomi and Huawei, the MediaTek share has increased a lot,” CINNO Research told CNBC in a statement from its analysts.

Huawei is China’s largest smartphone maker by market share, followed by Vivo, Oppo and Xiaomi.

Many of these players make phones priced at the mid-range but with high specs. This is where MediaTek has performed well in gaining share.

The U.S. sanctions on Huawei have also forced other Chinese players to look for alternatives should they find themselves cut off from the likes of Qualcomm.

“This (is) not only because (of) the excellent performance of MediaTek’s mid-end platform, but also, it is undeniable that the U.S. has imposed a series of sanctions on Huawei & Hisilicon, forcing major manufacturers to seek more diversified, stable and reliable sources of supply,” CINNO Research said in a press release.

Xiaomi was recently added to a U.S. blacklist of alleged Chinese military companies, though its unclear if this will affect their ability to procure certain components.

5G market up for grabs

China is the world’s largest market for 5G smartphones. 5G refers to next-generation mobile internet, and chipmakers are battling it out for a slice of the pie.

“After the first year of 5G, let’s take a view of the changes in China’s smartphone SOC market. It shows that the market pattern has changed from a single dominant Qualcomm company in the 4G era, to a three-party pattern of Hisilicon, Qualcomm and MediaTek in 2020,” CINNO Research said.

Last year, Qualcomm launched a new series of 5G smartphones chips known as the 6 series and 4 series, which could eat into MediaTek’s market share in China.

“Qualcomm launching 6 and 4 series 5G chipset will help to take share away from MediaTek in the fast growing 5G smartphone segment in China,” said Neil Shah, a partner at Counterpoint Research.

Source link

Continue Reading

World

LinkedIn says these are the fastest growing job sectors in the UK

Published

on

Continue Reading

Trending