Donald Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to unify Korea, the South Korean President has reportedly suggested.
Moon Jae-in’s comment came after a historic summit on Friday in which he met North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
“President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize. What we need is only peace,” Mr Moon told a meeting of senior secretaries, according to an official who briefed media.
During the first inter-Korean summit in more than a decade, both leaders stepped into North and South Korea before agreeing to a “complete denuclearisation” of their peninsula.
Mr Trump is preparing for his own summit with North Korea, suggesting that it might be held in a truce village that straddles the border separating the two Koreas.
“Numerous countries are being considered for the MEETING, but would Peace House/Freedom House, on the Border of North & South Korea, be a more Representative, Important and Lasting site than a third party country? Just asking!” the US President tweeted.
It is not the first time that Mr Moon floats the idea of a Nobel Peace Prize for Mr Trump.
In January, he said Mr Trump “deserves big credit for bringing about the inter-Korean talks. It could be a resulting work of the US-led sanctions and pressure”.
Lee Hee-ho, the widow of late South Korean President Kim Dae-jung, said Mr Moon deserved to win the prize in recognition of his peace efforts. In response, Mr Moon replied saying Mr Trump should get it.
During Monday’s meeting, Mr Moon called for a joint study with the North to identify economic projects that could be resumed without violating international sanctions imposed on North Korea for its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes.
“The study is to set in motion the programmes that are not subject to sanctions, while exploring what the two Koreas could do when the sanctions are lifted in the future,” the official quoted Mr Moon as saying.
The Trump administration has been leading a global effort to impose tougher sanctions on North Korea.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday that Mr Trump would maintain a “pressure campaign” of sanctions on North Korea until the nuclear weapon programme is demolished.
Late Saturday, Mr Trump told Mr Moon in a phone call that he was pleased the leaders of the two Koreas reaffirmed the goal of complete denuclearisation.
The White House confirmed in March that a US-North Korea summit would take place. Mr Trump said last week he is weighing up “three or four dates” and “five locations” for the talks.
‘Unacceptable’ vaccine delays cause frustration across European Union | World News
European countries are growing increasingly frustrated with delays in the delivery of COVID-19 vaccinations.
Pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca told European Union officials that production problems will result in a 60% cut in deliveries of its Oxford vaccine to the bloc during the first quarter of this year.
This means EU member states will receive only 31 million doses during that period.
The Republic of Ireland said it may have to slow its vaccine rollout as a result of the shortage.
Micheal Martin, the Irish prime minister, told Irish broadcaster RTE that the delays would “put us in a problem”.
He added: “AstraZeneca was going to be the catalyst to be allowed to move from low level to mass vaccination.”
The AstraZeneca vaccine is yet to be approved by the European Medicines Agency, although it is expected to get regulatory approval next week.
European countries were already facing delays in shipments of the Pfizer vaccine while the pharmaceutical firm increases manufacturing capacity.
Also on Saturday, Italian prime minster Giuseppe Conte called the delays to the delivery of the Pfizer vaccine “unacceptable”.
Mr Conte wrote on Facebook that the delays “constitute serious contractual violations, which cause enormous damage to Italy and other European countries, with direct repercussions on the life and health of citizens”.
He also vowed to launch legal action against the pharmaceutical giant to ensure contractual commitments are met.
COVID-19: Lebanon’s health service close to collapse with case numbers beyond ‘wildest predictions’ | World News
The head of Lebanon’s main coronavirus hospital has said the country’s health system is close to collapse – with not enough beds, drugs, oxygen, ventilators or staff.
In a stark interview with Sky News, Dr Firas Abiad said the government decision to relax coronavirus restrictions over a few fateful days at Christmas and New Year has led to a huge increase in cases and deaths over the past few weeks.
He allowed our cameras into the casualty department and the intensive care unit of the Rafic Hariri University Hospital in Beirut to see the pressure he and his staff are under.
Dr Abiad said all hospitals were reporting full, or almost full, intensive care units – and many have patients stuck in emergency wards, waiting for a bed.
“Some patients are not able to find a bed and there’s been several cases where patients have died in their homes,” he said.
“If you look at the sharp rise in cases you see that Lebanon is really seeing unprecedented COVID numbers which is even beyond our wildest predictions.
“The number of daily new cases has almost quadrupled since where we were almost a month ago,” said Dr Abiad.
“At the same time we’ve seen that the number of deaths has also tripled and the number of patients in ICU has gone up by almost 100%.”
On 17 December, four days before a nationwide lockdown was due to end, the government decided to ease a series of restrictions for the holiday period.
Under intense pressure from businesses, they allowed nightclubs, bars and restaurants to open at 50% capacity while urging people to wear masks and maintain social distancing.
But videos on social media over Christmas and New Year showed packed clubs and bars. No attempts were made to crackdown on the violations.
“It’s clear that those were catastrophic [decisions] and what has happened is they’ve thrown the whole healthcare system of the country into a major abyss,” said Dr Abiad.
In the casualty department, the pressures are obvious. There is a shortage of beds, drugs, oxygen, ventilators and staff.
It is a relatively modern hospital but it looks sparse, except for the number of patients.
A nurse strokes a patient’s head.
“I am passing out… I am passing out,” he tells the nurse.
“No, no! You’re doing very well. Don’t be scared. Your oxygen is good. 99%. Honestly it’s very good,” she reassures him.
In the next bed is 53-year-old Aida Derawi. She first began to feel unwell 15 days ago. Her family had hoped she would recover at home, but this week things got worse.
“Yesterday I felt I couldn’t take it anymore,” she says. “My back and lungs were aching. My kids took me around to find a hospital but not a single one would accept me.”
Eventually space was found and she is improving slowly.
Nurse Hussein al Khazn tells us that in this wave of the virus, the patients are no longer predominately elderly.
“Much younger now,” he says. “Before we had 50, 60-year-old patients.
“Now it’s 20, 25, 30-year-old patients and they’re very, very critical – all of them.”
On the other side of the city, we’re given access to the Lebanese Red Cross coordination centre.
In a well-organised control room, a team of volunteers is juggling telephone calls from patients’ families with radio calls to the ambulance teams on the ground.
“So, she’s ill with coronavirus?” a volunteer asks down the line. “So she’s got shortness of breath?”
A radio message is sent to one of the dispatch teams.
“We’re dispatched to a patient that tested positive for COVID and she’s currently suffering from desaturation and vomiting,” volunteer medic Waad Abdulaal says from the passenger seat of the ambulance.
“So we’re going to go ahead, assess her and see if there’s a need to take her to the hospital.”
Lebanon was already in a critical state economically.
Years of accumulative economic mismanagement has led to a slow collapse in every sector of society.
That was then exacerbated by the pandemic and the devastating port explosion last year.
Up several flights of a stairwell, in darkness because of yet another power cut, the Red Cross team reaches its patient.
Madame Imad is 80 years old. She tested positive last week and her diabetes is complicating her condition. She needs to go to hospital, but there is an issue finding a bed for her.
The positivity rate across the country this past week has been at 21% (the 14-day rolling average).
That means the community spread of the virus is out of control. It needs to be at 5% before there is any chance of regaining a grip of the crisis.
Calls are made and they think space has been found at a hospital nearby.
Madame Imad is carried down the stairs as her daughter Sophie looks straight into our camera and pleads: “Show them that there are people dying before they reach the hospital.”
The elderly woman did make it to the hospital. But she was sent home again. There were no beds. Her family has told us her condition this weekend has worsened.
Alexei Navalny supporters clash with police and ‘hundreds arrested’ as mass protests expected across Russia | World News
Hundreds of people have reportedly been detained as a series of demonstrations in support of jailed Putin critic Alexei Navalny begins across Russia.
The gatherings, which police have declared illegal, are the first by Mr Navalny’s supporters since he was arrested last weekend on his return to Moscow, after spending five months in Germany recovering from novichok poisoning.
More than 200 people have been detained in central and eastern Russia because of the protests, according to monitoring group OVD-INFO, with more than 100 held in Moscow, according to a Reuters witness, the location for one of up to 70 marches this weekend.
There have been scuffles in the southeastern city of Khabarovsk, and videos also show people being taken away from a protest in Yakutsk, where people have been gathering in -50C temperatures, and one person lying on the ground, apparently injured, in Novosibirsk.
Other footage shows people being hit with batons in Orenburg and riot shields and tears gas being used in some cities.
Hundreds, possibly thousands, appear to have been taking part in rallies and marches in Yekaterinburg and Irkutsk.
There have also been reports that mobile phone and internet services in Russia have suffered outages as police
crack down on anti-Kremlin protesters.
Authorities sometimes interfere with communication networks to make it harder for protesters to get in touch with each other and the wider world online.
Six journalists have been held in St Petersburg, according to Avtozaklive.
Mr Navalny, 44, who is one of President Vladimir Putin’s most outspoken critics, blames Moscow for the attack that nearly killed him, although the Kremlin denies any involvement.
He is charged with breaking his bail conditions – and is facing a potential three-and-a half-year jail term if found guilty.
Anyone who takes part faces charges of rioting, fines, problems at work, prison and even threats over child custody as the Russian state tries to crack down on the demonstrations, which could be the largest against Mr Putin since 2018.
Officials also enforced a crackdown in the run-up to the demonstrations, arresting members of Mr Navalny’s team, including his spokeswoman Kira Yarmysh.
They launched an investigation after young Navalny supporters flooded TikTok with anti-Putin videos, pushing for people to support the action this weekend and using the using the hashtags #freenavalny and #23Jan.
The content has been viewed more than 300 million times.
Anger mounted against Mr Putin this week after Mr Navalny’s team released a documentary exposing a vast and opulent palace built by Russia’s leader on the Black Sea coast.
The programme claims the complex – 39 times larger than Monaco – cost £1bn to build and was funded through illicit money.
It is said to have a casino, an underground ice hockey complex and a vineyard.
More than 60 million people have now viewed the Russian-language video on YouTube within three days of it being published.
On Friday, ahead of the weekend of planned protests, Mr Navalny issued a statement saying he wanted it known that he had no plans to take his own life in prison.
The arrest of Mr Navalny has attracted widespread criticism from Western leaders, sparking new tensions in the already strained relationship with the US.
Despite the plans for the protests, Mr Putin’s grip on power appears solid, with the 68-year-old regularly recording approval ratings of more than 60%, many times higher than those of Mr Navalny.
‘Our kids are being brainwashed’
Eyewitness by Diana Magnay, Moscow correspondent
The rally is not due to start until 2pm, but already here in Moscow, the police are making arrests and there are several hundred people around waiting.
It reminds me very much of the protests in the summer of 2019. There are huge numbers of press following each arrest. I haven’t seen any beatings yet, but the arrests are not pleasant.
Among those attending are Olga and Vladislav Sheglov, father and daughter.
Mr Sheglov told me: “I came here because I cannot live like this anymore, what they’re doing is not acceptable.
“I always tell myself we have the best country, but the worst government.”
His daughter Olga said: “Our kids are being brainwashed. You have families with low income and they have another view of politics.
“When we saw the Putin’s palace investigation, we were so shocked. We used to vote for him, but this was the last straw. We believe 150%, a million percent that Navalny was poisoned.”
Another person at the protest, 16-year-old Yaroslavl, who we are not naming fully because he’s 16, said: “There’ll probably be more detentions than normal because it’s such a big day.
“I’m a bit concerned, but so many people have come together to defend their own opinion and to defend Russia.
“I was told at school not to come, that they might have extra lessons today, but I ignored them. And my parents were even more serious about me not coming, but I ignored them too.”
He said that today everyone went out not for Navalny, but for themselves, to fight for their rights.
Arizona Republicans censure Cindy McCain, GOP governor
‘EU megalomaniacs are unbearable!’ MEP turns screw on bloc after UK diplomat row erupts
SNP sparks furious row as Sturgeon accused of 'stashing away' cash for independence drive
Trump considered naming new AG to help push baseless claims of voter fraud
Man who tweeted about assassinating congresswoman faces charges in Capitol riot
‘Unacceptable’ vaccine delays cause frustration across European Union | World News
Trade deal back on? Boris holds call with Biden to resolve issues 'as soon as possible'
MyPillow Guy among the Trump acolytes looking to pick up where he left off
BBC under 'existential' threat after losing 250,000 TV licences equalling estimated £38m
Ireland breaks ranks to admit 'real problem' over EU's struggling coronavirus vaccine plan
Latest News1 week ago
Spectacled ‘Paddington’ bears venture out at Machu Picchu | World News
Latest News4 days ago
Donald Trump’s farewell address: ‘Our movement is only just beginning’ | US News
Politics5 days ago
On MLK Day, Biden volunteers, Trump adds names to his ‘Garden of American Heroes’
Politics4 days ago
Washington hotels weigh inauguration profits against safety
Politics6 days ago
The stakes are high for Biden’s inaugural address. Here’s what to expect.
Politics3 days ago
Priti Patel press conference: Home Secretary to issue lockdown alert in major No10 address
Politics3 days ago
Biden urges Americans to unite in inauguration address
World1 week ago
Biden heads into inauguration with a stock market tailwind