Connect with us

Latest News

Indicted Missouri governor blasts ‘reckless liberal’ prosecutor

Published

on

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens lashed out against a St. Louis prosecutor Thursday, hours after a grand jury indicted him on a felony invasion-of-privacy charge related to an extramarital affair.

“I know this will be righted soon,” Greitens wrote in a Facebook post. “The people of Missouri deserve better than a reckless liberal prosecutor who uses her office to score political points.”

The governor was referring to Circuit Attorney Kimberly Gardner, whose office announced Greitens’ indictment Thursday. The charge stems from an incident that allegedly occurred in March 2015, she said.

Greitens, 43, was booked at the St. Louis Justice Center, officials told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He was released on his own recognizance, St. Louis Circuit Attorney spokeswoman Susan Ryan told the Associated Press.

According to Gardner’s news release, the grand jury “found probable cause” that Greitens broke a state law.

The indictment said Greitens allegedly took a photo of a person – who was identified only by initials – “in a state of full or partial nudity” without their knowledge or consent and “in a place where a person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy,” according to the Post-Dispatch.

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens outlines his tax overhaul plan to supporters at Doyle Manufacturing Monday, Jan. 29, 2018, in Palmyra, Mo. Greitens is calling for cuts in personal income tax and reductions in corporate taxes as part of what he has described as the "boldest state tax reform in America." (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

Greitens previously admitted to having an affair.

 (AP)

It adds that Greitens allegedly “transmitted the image contained in the photograph in a manner that allowed access to that image via a computer,” which is a felony, according to Gardner’s release.

MISSOURI’S GREITENS ADMITS HE WAS ‘UNFAITHFUL’ BUT DENIES BLACKMAIL ALLEGATION

An investigation into Greitens’ behavior was opened in January following his admiting to an affair, reportedly beginning in March 2015.

Local station KMOV-TV previously reported that Greitens allegedly threatened to publicize nude images of the woman he was having the extramarital relations with if she exposed their relationship, according to her ex-husband.

The man secretly recorded a conversation with his then-wife, in which she reportedly admitted to having an affair with Greitens.

The recording alleges that Greitens invited the woman to his home and the sexual encounter was consensual.

In the tape, the woman claims the governor asked her to “come downstairs” at his home where he would show her “how to do a proper pull-up.”

The woman alleges he then taped her hands, blindfolded her, took a partially nude photo of her and then warned her to stay quite about the sexual encounter.

DIRTY DETAILS OF MISSOURI GOVERNOR’S AFFAIR FUEL RESIGNATION CALLS

“You’re never going to mention my name, otherwise there will be pictures everwhere,” Greitens allegedly said.

While acknowledging that he was “unfaithful” in his marriage, Greitens denied allegations that he blackmailed the woman.

Gardner declined to comment to the Associated Press but Ryan confirmed the indictment stemmed from the alleged photo.

In his statement following the indictment, Greitens maintained that he “did not commit a crime,” and said the charge was a “misguided political decision.”

“As I have said before, I made a personal mistake before I was Governor,” he said. “I did not commit a crime. With today’s disappointing and misguided political decision, my confidence in our prosecutorial system is shaken, but not broken.”

Gardner is a Democrat who has faced her own share of scrutiny.

Last summer, after Gardner’s first six months on the job, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that at least a dozen experienced prosecutors had left her staff. By August, St. Louis radio station KMOX was reporting that staffing issues were having an effect on the resolution of criminal cases.

In January, a St. Louis judge disqualified Gardner’s office from prosecuting a police shooting case, the Post-Dispatch reported. The judge ruled that the removal would “avoid an appearance of impropriety” because her office was simultaneously investigating whether the shooting was justified.

In a separate statement, Greitens’ lawyers called the charges “baseless and unfounded,” in a statement to the Post-Dispatch. They’ll reportedly file a motion to dismiss the charges.

Greitens, a Republican, is a decorated former Navy SEAL officer whose received a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, among other awards, according to his service record. He enlisted in the Navy in 2000.

He was elected as governor in November 2016.

Fox News’ Lucas Tomlinson, Barnini Chakraborty and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source link

Latest News

EE brings back EU roaming charges for mobile phone customers from next year | Business News

Published

on

Mobile network EE is to charge customers for using their phone in Europe from next year.

The company, owned by BT, had previously said it had no plans to reintroduce the charges after Brexit.

It will affect new customers and those upgrading from 7 July.

An EE phone store on Oxford Street, central London. 29/5/2018
Image:
EE said it change would support investment in its UK network

They will face a £2 daily fee from January next year to be able to use their data, call minutes and text allowances in 47 European destinations.

The change will not apply to customers travelling to the Republic of Ireland.

British travellers have not had to pay roaming charges on their mobile phone bills since June 2017, when they were abolished after changes to European regulation.

Before then they added an estimated £350m a year to users’ bills.

Britain’s departure from the European Union meant that from January UK customers no longer had the right to use their phone in Europe without roaming charges.

However, Britain’s major mobile operators had said they had no plans to introduce them.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

December 2020: What’s in the Brexit trade deal?

EE said its decision was designed to “support investment into our UK-based customer service and leading UK network”.

It said customers travelling abroad for longer will be able to use a 30-day Roam Abroad Pass.

Ernest Doku, a mobiles expert at Uswitch.com, said: “It’s hugely disappointing for consumers to see that situation change so quickly.

“If you’re an existing EE customer, these charges won’t affect you yet, but make sure you check the small print if you’re due an upgrade in the coming months.”

Sky News contacted other networks to ask if they had any similar plans.

O2 and Three said they had not made any changes to roaming.

However, both are altering their policies on “fair usage” daily data limits while in the EU – though in each case said the limits were more than enough for the vast majority of holidaymakers’ needs.

Vodafone also said it had no plans to bring back roaming charges.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

HMS Defender: Boris Johnson insists warship was sailing legally as Moscow warns ‘no options can be ruled out’ | UK News

Published

on

Boris Johnson has insisted Royal Navy warship HMS Defender was sailing legally in Ukrainian waters and that Russia did not any fire warning shots.

Russia has accused the UK of “barefaced lies” over Wednesday’s incident and said it would respond robustly to any future incursions into what it says are Russian waters.

It summoned the British ambassador in Moscow for a dressing down, while a Kremlin spokesman called it a “deliberate and premeditated provocation”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Russia claims this is HMS Defender ‘chased out’

“In the event of a repeat of unacceptable provocative action – if those actions go too far, no options can be ruled out in terms of legally defending Russia’s borders,” added Dmitry Peskov.

The UK rejects Russia’s claim that a border patrol boat fired warning shots and that warplanes dropped bombs into path of the ship off the Crimean coast.

Speaking on Thursday, Boris Johnson said it was “not my information” when asked if the Russians had fired warning shots.

“My understanding is that the Carrier Strike Group proceeded in a way you would expect through international waters and in accordance with the law,” said the prime minister.

He added: “We don’t recognise the Russian annexation of Crimea – it was illegal. These are Ukrainian waters and it was entirely right to use them to get from A to B.”

HMS Defender
Image:
HMS Defender’s main wartime function is to destroy enemy planes and drones

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has also said shots were not fired and called the Russian account “predictably inaccurate”.

The Ministry of Defence said it had been made aware in advance that the Russians were conducting “gunnery exercises” in the area.

“No shots were directed at HMS Defender and we do not recognise the claim that bombs were dropped in her path,” it said.

Sukhoi Su-24M bombers pictured over Moscow in May 2019
Image:
Russia said Su-24M jets – pictured in May 2019 – dropped bombs in the ship’s path

However, a BBC journalist on board the 152 metre-long ship said Russian planes had flown nearby and he also heard radio warnings that shots would be fired if HMS Defender didn’t change course .

He said firing was later heard but “well out of range”.

Foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova accused Britain of “barefaced lies” over the incident.

Russia claims the British ship had gone as far as three kilometres (2 miles) into Russian waters near Cape Fiolent, near the port of Sevastopol in Crimea.

Crimea was seized from Ukraine in 2014 by the Russians, who claim ownership of waters around its coast.

A map showing the route of HMS Defender
Image:
The route of HMS Defender

Western countries regard Crimea to have been taken illegally.

Mr Johnson also rejected the assertion that the relationship with Russia was now at a new low, following other recent incidents such as the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal in the UK in 2018.

“I can remember times in my own lifetime when things have been far worse,” the prime minister said.

Sky’s Moscow correspondent Diana Magnay said the incident was to a large extent about “testing each other’s mettle” and seeing “how far Russia is prepared to go to defend what it claims are its territorial waters – and how far the UK and NATO are prepared to go to defend Ukrainian sovereignty”.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

‘Several injured and one dead’ after building partially collapses in Miami Beach | World News

Published

on

A huge emergency operation is under way after a partial building collapse in Miami Beach, with reports of at least one person killed and several injured.

More than 80 fire and rescue units were at the scene of the collapse in the Florida city, with images showing a pile of rubble with debris spilling down from what was left of the balconies of the building.

CBS reported that at least one person had died, while ABC News said eight people were being treated for injuries in hospital.

Sergeant Marian Cruz of the Surfside Police Department said: “We’re on the scene so it’s still very active.

“What I can tell you is the building is 12 floors. The entire back side of the building has collapsed.”

Police have cordoned off nearby roads, with scores of fire and rescue vehicles, ambulances and police cars deployed in the area.

NBC said the rescue teams included a unit that is trained in the removal of victims trapped in complex or confined spaces.

NBC Miami showed a video of a young boy being pulled alive from the rubble.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending