Connect with us

Latest News

Man arrested in shooting death of postal worker on highway

Published

on

A man arrested in the fatal shooting of a postal worker driving a delivery rig on a Dallas highway may have been acting out of road rage, authorities said Thursday.

U.S. Attorney Erin Nealy Cox issued a statement saying that Donnie Ferrell, 25, of Hutchins, had been arrested and was being charged with murder of an officer or employee of the U.S. government while that employee was engaged in official duties. U.S. Postal Inspection Service spokeswoman Amanda McMurrey said Ferrell was due to appear before a magistrate judge Thursday.

“With this arrest, we take a crucial step towards ensuring that the person allegedly responsible for this senseless murder is brought to justice,” Cox wrote in her statement.

Jail records did not list an attorney for Ferrell and an online court record had not been created as of Thursday afternoon.

Police said they responded after 2 a.m. to shots being fired and found the 11-ton (10-metric ton) postal rig crashed into a guardrail on Interstate 30 outside of downtown Dallas. The driver, 58-year-old Tony Mosby, was dead from an apparent gunshot wound and slumped over in the cab.

FBi investigators, Dallas police and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service — the law enforcement and security arm of the U.S. Postal Service — cooperated to investigate the shooting.

The U.S. attorney’s office says two witnesses who were with Ferrell came forward to tell the FBI that they saw him fire several shots from the front passenger seat of the car they were all riding in at the rig Mosby was driving. They said they had seen sparks flying and the truck swerve and asked Ferrell why he had shot.

The witnesses, who were not named, said Ferrell told them the driver of the truck had made a hand gesture at them and it made him mad, according to the affidavit.

The two said they had met up with Ferrell and another person for dinner at a Dallas restaurant before drinking alcohol together at a pool hall. The four left together. The witnesses said a fourth person, who was driving the SUV, was driving erratically behind the postal truck, and was passing on the truck’s left when Ferrell fired the shots from a revolver.

The two said that Ferrell had texted them to try to persuade them not to say anything about the shooting.

Federal investigators had offered a $50,000 reward, but it was unclear whether the money would be awarded in the case.

The charge carries a sentence of up to life in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Source link

Latest News

Copa America: Brazil’s top court allows tournament to go ahead despite COVID | World News

Published

on

The Copa America football tournament has been given the go-ahead to kick off in Brazil despite high numbers of COVID-19 cases in the country.

Brazil is hosting the competition after the withdrawal of Colombia and Argentina and the first game is due to be played on Sunday at the Mané Garrincha stadium in the capital, Brasilia.

President Bolsonaro during a ceremony in Brasilia on 10 June
Image:
President Bolsonaro during a ceremony in Brasilia on 10 June

Eleven justices in the Supreme Court voted unanimously for the 10-nation event to continue despite opposition from the Brazilian Socialist Party and unions.

President Jair Bolsonaro has staunchly supported Brazil hosting Copa America after the South American Football Confederation unexpectedly relocated the tournament when Colombia was dropped because of civil unrest and Argentina withdrew after a surge in coronavirus infections.

He has railed against shutdown measures aimed at preventing the virus’ spread and claimed their economic impact kills more than the virus.

But Brazil is still suffering one of the world’s highest daily COVID-19 infection rates, although the number of deaths has been declining for about two months from its record high.

Authorisation of the games is a decision made by officials in the state where they will be played; all four governors in Copa America locations are allies of Mr Bolsonaro.

Justice Carmen Lucia said in her decision that it does not exempt authorities from adopting public health safety measures needed to prevent transmission of the virus that has killed almost half a million Brazilians.

The tournament will be played in the states of Rio de Janeiro, Goias, Mato Grosso and the country’s Federal District. Several other states rejected hosting matches of the tournament.

The final will take place on 10 July at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro.

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

Uighur woman breaks silence as her fears grow: ‘If our genocide is fake, then where is my husband?’ | World News

Published

on

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.

But he has been absent for most of this period.

The 26-year-old told Sky News the young couple have only spent 14 months of their marriage together, as Mirzat, 30, was in and out of China’s so-called “vocational education and training” schools and detention centres.

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.
Image:
Mehray Mezensof and her husband Mirzat Taher are both ethnically Uighur Muslims

On 1 April this year, he was sentenced to 25 years in jail, for involvement in alleged “separatist” political activities in Turkey, with the supposed aim of establishing an independent Uighur-dominated Turkistan, broken away from mainland China, Ms Mezensof understands.

She said the claims are “ridiculous” and based on suspicion, rather than factual evidence.

Sir Iain Duncan Smith, co-founder of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China, has called on the G7 to act – and soon.

He told Sky News that the UK, as the summit’s host, has a duty to speak against the “genocide” happening “right under our noses”.

Former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith was among those sanctioned
Image:
Sir Iain Duncan Smith says the UK should say more about China’s human rights abuses

Sir Iain said Britain can “no longer turn a blind eye” to “China’s abuse” of its Uighur and minority populations and must “reconsider how we trade”, as the UK and other Western countries are too dependent on China.

The former Conservative Party leader said the Western world “allowed” China to join the free market without adhering to principles of democracy, the rule of law and human rights – what Francis Fukuyama termed “the end of history” – and the G7 has the opportunity to fix this.

“In the chase for cheaper production… the ‘greedy route’ as I call it… we relied on an anti-democratic and brutal government… but we cannot separate business and trade from human rights.”

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher (pictured) for almost five years.
Image:
Mirzat Taher was recently granted permanent residency in Australia

Ms Mezensof has kept quiet until now to protect her family, and with the hope that the Chinese Communist Party would release her husband sooner, if they were seen to be co-operating.

She said: “My husband is a good person. He isn’t a criminal. He isn’t political. He hasn’t done anything wrong. He’s innocent.”

His only crime, she said, is being ethnically Uighur.

An estimated one million people, most of them Uighurs – a Muslim ethnic group living largely in the northwest Chinese province of Xinjiang – are believed to have been detained by the Chinese authorities in “re-education camps” since 2017.

Although the UK government has declined to get involved, MPs in April passed a motion declaring Uighurs are being subjected to “genocide” and “crimes against humanity” in China.

An independent ‘people’s tribunal’ began in the UK last week, examining the claims.

It heard that Uighurs are treated “worse than dogs” and “tortured day and night” at Chinese camps in Xinjiang.

Ms Mezensof was born and raised in Melbourne, Australia. Her parents emigrated from Xinjiang more than 35 years ago.

When she was 22, she travelled for the first time to the region’s main city, Urumqi, and met Mr Taher. She described the moment as “love at first sight”.

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.
Image:
Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years

After an Islamic ceremony, the couple were married on 3 August 2016 with plans to settle in Melbourne.

Ms Mezensof extended her stay in Xinjiang while they waited for Mr Taher’s Australian visa.

But then things started to change.

“There were a lot of whispers going around,” she said.

“People were disappearing in the middle of the night, police were coming and taking them away. No one knew where they were going, how long for.

“There was constant monitoring, surveillance. Heavy police presence – you’d get stopped on the street a lot to get your phone checked.

“We needed permission from the police to leave the city – you’d have to tell them where you were going, how long for…

“Everyone was on edge.”

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.
Image:
Mehray Mezensof says she is concerned about the safety of her husband Mirzat Taher

China’s crackdown on Uighurs and other minorities worsened in 2017, and Ms Mezensof’s family in Melbourne became increasingly concerned for her safety.

Shortly after Mr Taher was granted a visa on 1 April 2017, the couple booked their travel to Australia, due to fly out 11 days later.

However, one day before their flight was due to leave, police turned up at Mr Taher’s house and took him away for questioning.

He did not come home.

Mr Taher was held in a detainment centre for 10 months, and then transferred to two different “schools” for “re-education”.

The Chinese authorities deemed him “dangerous” because he had travelled to Turkey in 2014 and 2015.

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.
Image:
Australian-born Mehray Mezensof said her husband has been sentenced to 25 years in prison

Human Rights Watch reported that, during this time, the Xinjiang authorities made foreign ties a punishable offence.

State officials targeted people with connections or travel history to “26 sensitive countries” – including Turkey – and interrogated, detained, and in some instances imprisoned them.

However, despite claiming – and demonstrating – that his visits consisted of a holiday and opportunity to study Turkish on a student visa, Mr Taher was held by the state for two years, until his unexpected release on 22 May 2019.

He had “graduated” from his ‘re-education’ school and deemed safe enough to re-integrate back into society.

Several weeks later, the couple reunited at the Urumqi airport.

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.
Image:
Mehray Mezensof says she has not heard from her husband for more than 200 days

Ms Mezensof, on a six-month Chinese visa, discovered that her husband and others with him were subject to “constant brainwashing” and “propaganda” in the camps.

She told Sky News that, contrary to the Chinese state’s propaganda videos, her husband did not develop any vocational skills, play sports or attend dance classes.

Rather, inmates were “forced” to learn about the Chinese Communist Party, memorise political speeches and confess their “crimes” to their class on a daily basis.

She said: “It wasn’t really physical abuse, but more mental and psychological.

“If one of them misbehaved, they suffered together. They weren’t given food for that whole day, they pretty much starved.

“They were reminded every single day that none of them would ever get to see their family members again… and the only way they would leave is in a body bag, if you die.”

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.

Mr Taher decided against sharing explicit details of his ordeal with his wife – apart from the one time he accidentally spoke in Uighur tongue and was handcuffed, strung to a door, and made to starve for a whole day.

But, unbeknown to them, they were running – once again – on borrowed time.

Ms Mezensof’s six-month Chinese visa was running out, and the couple were struggling to obtain Mr Taher’s passport from state officials.

She returned to Melbourne on 30 December 2019, where she applied for another Chinese visa.

However, the COVID-19 pandemic hit, and Urumqi in Xinjiang was under lockdown. China had closed its borders to foreigners. The couple resorted to keeping in touch on WeeChat.

But on the morning of 19 May 2020, Ms Mezensof felt uneasy. Her husband hadn’t checked or responded to her messages in hours, which she said was very unlike him.

Police had taken him from his bed and detained him for a second time – again, about his travel to Turkey.

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.
Image:
Mirzat Taher has been detained a number of times in China due to his travel in Turkey

He was kept in solitary confinement for two months and was in separate quarantine for 40 days after another inmate caught COVID-19.

Mr Taher’s Australian permanent residency was granted shortly before his release.

But he was detained again just weeks later on 26 September 2020.

Ms Mezensof has not heard from him since.

Sky News has seen a notice of arrest issued by Hami police in Xinjiang on 23 October last year.

All she knows – and from her family in Xinjiang – is that Mr Taher has been sentenced to 25 years in prison, for accusations of “separatist” activities which he denies.

She said: “I was in shock that day.

“I think I like I was I sitting for, like, hours just crying and shaking my head, being like, no, no, no, no, this, this can’t be…. this is a, this is a dream, I’m gonna wake up from it.

“I was just sitting there. And I was calculating it in my head being like, it’s 25 years.

“So if he were to carry out that full sentence, when he comes out, he’ll be 55. And I’ll be 52… how can that be like that’s our whole youth, our whole lives just like ripped and taken away from us?

“The moment you get married and you’re about to start your life with the person you love, it should be the happiest moment of your life, but instead I’ve been going through this in silence.

“This isn’t something out of a movie – it is happening.

“It frustrates me when people say it’s fake, because if it was, where is my husband?

“We really wanted to start our own family.”

Australian-born Mehray Mezensof has been married to Mirzat Taher for almost five years.
Image:
Australian-born Mehray Mezensof met Mirzat Taher in Xinjiang’s main city, Urumqi

She added: “I just want to know that my husband is alive, that he’s somewhat doing okay… I just want to hear his voice.

“It has been over 200 days since I’ve had any kind of communication with him.

“I’ve been backed into a corner, and there’s no way out, besides going public.

“We have no ulterior motive.

“I just want to be with my husband.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Latest News

British woman out of coma after twin sister saved her from crocodile attack in Mexico | World News

Published

on

A British woman who was attacked by a crocodile in Mexico is out of a coma and is breathing by herself, , Sky News has confirmed.

Melissa Laurie, 28, had been swimming with her twin sister Georgia at a lagoon in Mexico when she was attacked.

Georgia saved her by punching the crocodile in the face but both sisters had to be taken to hospital.

Georgia was released after treatment for injuries to her hands but Melissa was in an induced coma and developed sepsis as a result of her injuries.

Speaking on Thursday, Georgia said her sister was “doing good” and was “breathing on her own very well”.

She told BBC Radio 1: “She can’t talk because of the soreness in her throat from the tube.

“She recognised me and knew who I was. She seemed happy to see me.”

Melissa (L) and Georgia (R) Laurie have been travelling the world. Pic: Facebook
Image:
Melissa (L) and Georgia (R) Laurie have been travelling the world. Pic: Facebook

The sisters had been swimming in Manialtepec Lagoon, near Puerto Escondido, about 450 miles (724km) southeast of Mexico City.

Their older sister Hana, 33, has previously said that the twins booked a tour through their hostel, but later found out their guide was not registered and had taken them to what turned out to be an unsafe swimming spot.

Hana said Melissa had a lot of water and grass in her lungs after the attack because crocodiles try to drown people.

“She’s got some bite wounds across her tummy and her legs, some of those have become infected as well.

“It managed to tear her bowel, so [it’s] quite stressful.”

Their father Sean Laurie is expected to travel to Mexico and a Go Fund Me page has raised more than £43,000 towards the cost of the twins’ treatment.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending