Connect with us

Politics

House Republicans launch ‘phase two’ of Trump dossier probe

Published

on

House Intelligence Committee Republicans have launched “phase two” of their probe into the origins of the unverified anti-Trump dossier, firing off an inquiry to a host of current and former officials including former FBI director James Comey.

In a letter obtained by Fox News, committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., posed a string of dossier-related questions to current and former intelligence; law enforcement; and State Department officials. He specifically wants to know when they learned the document was funded by Democratic sources, and how it was used to obtain one or more surveillance warrants at the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

In the Feb. 20-dated letter, Nunes even threatened to issue subpoenas.

“If you do not provide timely answers on a voluntary basis, the Committee will initiate compulsory process,” he wrote. 

Nunes, with cooperation from the White House, earlier this month released a controversial memo alleging the anti-Trump dossier – compiled by former British spy Christopher Steele and funded by the Democratic National Committee and Clinton campaign – was crucial in the application for a surveillance warrant against Trump associate Carter Page.

Democrats have called that memo misleading and want to release a memo of their own – though have been delayed amid national security objections from the White House. Amid the firestorm, Nunes told Fox News earlier this month that his committee would pursue “phase two” of the investigation.

He suggested this would include scrutinizing the State Department and other agencies.

The new letter includes a dozen questions about the dossier, including how the officials in question learned of the document’s Democratic funding and whether they held meetings about the unverified allegations against Trump or took any other official action. 

Fox News understands the questionnaire went out to about two-dozen current and former officials.

Among them were Comey, former director of national intelligence James Clapper and former CIA director John Brennan, who testified in May 2017 that the Trump dossier was virtually unknown to him.

“I have no awareness,” Brennan said, when asked by GOP Rep. Trey Gowdy if the FBI ever relied on the dossier as part of any court applications.

The newly released GOP memo says the FBI and Justice Department relied heavily on the Trump  dossier and downplayed its Democratic roots.

A source close to the investigation is not ruling out the possibility that more officials could be questioned as the next phase of the probe continues. 

Perhaps anticipating this phase of the investigation, an Obama State Department official earlier this month acknowledged he had regular contact with the dossier’s author.

In a Washington Post column, Jonathan Winer detailed an extensive exchange of documents with Steele, a friend of his since 2009. He said he shared “more than 100 of Steele’s reports with the Russia experts at the State Department” over a period of two years. These weren’t related to American politics – but he would later share information about the Trump dossier with the top levels of the Obama State Department.

Further, Winer said he shared separate Trump-related material passed on by a Clinton contact with Steele. And he acknowledged that material, originally from Clinton-tied activist/journalist Cody Shearer, made its way to the FBI.

In publishing his Op-Ed, Winer wrote that he suspects Nunes wants to know about his own relationship with Steele while at the Obama State Department.

Fox News’ Judson Berger contributed to this report.

 

Catherine Herridge is an award-winning Chief Intelligence correspondent for FOX News Channel (FNC) based in Washington, D.C. She covers intelligence, the Justice Department and the Department of Homeland Security. Herridge joined FNC in 1996 as a London-based correspondent.

Source link

Politics

BBC fury: Broadcaster attacked for ’belittling’ Brexiteers and ‘caving to wokery of Left’

Published

on

BBC bosses have been savaged for heaping stress on older pensioners by scrapping the free licence during the pandemic.

Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

New York AG cleared to ‘move forward’ with probe into harassment allegations against Gov. Cuomo

Published

on

New York Attorney General Letitia James said Monday that her office is formally proceeding with an investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Gov. Andrew Cuomo after she received the referral she needed to do so from the governor’s office.

In a statement, James said the referral gives her office “the authority to move forward with an independent investigation into allegations of sexual harassment claims made against Governor Cuomo. This is not a responsibility we take lightly as allegations of sexual harassment should always be taken seriously.”

James said Sunday she plans to “hire a law firm, deputize them as attorneys of our office, and oversee a rigorous and independent investigation” of the allegations two women have made against the three-term Democratic governor. The process of hiring and deputizing an independent counsel, who would have subpoena power, is expected to take a few days, her office said.

James said that when the review against her fellow Democrat is completed, “the findings will be disclosed in a public report.”

Under New York state law, the attorney general needs a referral from the governor to empower a special counsel, even though in this case the allegations are against the governor himself.

In the referral letter to James, Beth Garvey, special counsel and senior advisor to the governor, said Cuomo was waiving a provision of the law, Executive Law 63(8), which mandates that the attorney general and the governor both “receive weekly status reports on any investigation” opened under the law.

Garvey said that would not happen in this case “due to the nature of this review.”

The probe comes after two women stepped forward to detail allegations of sexual harassment against Cuomo.

Lindsey Boylan, a deputy secretary for economic development and special adviser to Cuomo from 2015 to 2018, wrote in an essay posted on the website Medium that she’d been subjected to “pervasive harassment” while she worked for him, including getting asked to “play strip poker” and receiving an unwanted kiss on the mouth. Cuomo press secretary Caitlin Girouard called Boylan’s allegations “quite simply false.”

Another former aide, Charlotte Bennett, told The New York Times in an interview published Saturday that Cuomo made several inappropriate remarks about her sex life, which she said she interpreted as an overture.

The statement comes after former Cuomo aide Charlotte Bennett, 25, told The New York Times that Cuomo made several inappropriate remarks about her sex life, which she said she interpreted as an overture. Cuomo denied the allegations, which NBC News has not independently reported, by saying in statement Saturday he “never made advances toward Ms. Bennett nor did I ever intend to act in any way that was inappropriate.”

Bennett did not allege physical harassment. Reached by NBC News, she said The Times report was accurate and declined to comment further.

Cuomo issued a lengthy statement Sunday saying he understood “that my interactions may have been insensitive or too personal and that some of my comments, given my position, made others feel in ways I never intended.”

“I acknowledge some of the things I have said have been misinterpreted as an unwanted flirtation. To the extent anyone felt that way, I am truly sorry about that,” he said in the statement.

His statement also added: “To be clear I never inappropriately touched anybody and I never propositioned anybody and I never intended to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but these are allegations that New Yorkers deserve answers to.”

Cuomo initially said he was appointing a former judge to investigate the claims against him. He then suggested the state’s top judge assist James’ investigation before relenting to bipartisan calls for an independent investigation.

Bennett said in a statement to WNBC Monday that “It took the Governor 24 hours and significant backlash to allow for a truly independent investigation. These are not the actions of someone who simply feels misunderstood; they are the actions of an individual who wields his power to avoid justice.”

Bennett’s lawyer, Debra S. Katz, said her client “will cooperate fully with the Attorney General’s investigation. We are confident that no disinterested investigator who reviews this evidence would adopt the governor’s self-serving characterization of his behavior as mentorship or, at worst, unwanted flirtation. He was not acting as a mentor and his remarks were not misunderstood by Ms. Bennett. He was abusing his power over her for sex. This is textbook sexual harassment.”

Bennett also called for any other victims to step forward if they feel they can.

“To the governor’s survivors: I am here. Lindsey is here. You do not have to say a single word. But if you choose to speak your truth, we will be standing with you. I promise,” her statement said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Boris Johnson lambasted for ‘sacrificing’ UK’s fishing industry to 'get Brexit done'

Published

on

BORIS JOHNSON “sacrificed” the UK’s fishing industry, coastal communities and Northern Ireland to get Brexit done according to a former Brexit Party MEP.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending